Block Party (Terrain Ex. Pg.124 - 2Million Blocks)

Author Topic: Block Party (Terrain Ex. Pg.124 - 2Million Blocks)  (Read 235196 times)

maybe add an extra tick near raycasting, colliding, and rendering, as "loose"

a loose brick is affected by physics

no need to hammer or fakekill it via events

Small Update:
-Made some graphical improvements
-Added a way to easily cycle through all bricks in-game.
-Added the ability to paint the floor plane (in addition to physics and planted bricks).
-Added a despawn timer to interactive physics bricks, which are spawned when bricks are removed from the build.
-Various bug fixes.

I also experimented with lighting, and ran a stress-test having 10,000 bricks on-screen at the same time - with a reasonable framerate (the brick system is not completely optimized yet):

A public pre-alpha demo is currently being finalized, and should be released sometime this month - hopefully by next weekend or the following week.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 01:53:30 PM by [GSF]Ghost »

Due to people asking if the game will run on their toaster, we've made a hardware survey to find out just how many people have toasters for computers.

Go here for the survey/poll: https://strawpoll.com/zwskzhgb

I am so sorry but i thought about Runescape too.
Even though the build being in front of the scape, it still triggers the Runescape memories.

not too sure about that title

I am working on my spinoff: ScapeBuild! It's gonna be loving tight with balloons and stuff.

heres my two cents:

the game looks loving good holy stuff

end of two cents

The name is kind of just a placeholder for the mean time lol. I wanted to start giving the game it's own unique identity, especially with the first demo release approaching. Speaking of which...

Update: 4/15/18

New Name
"BuildScape" has been chosen as the name for the project (at least for the mean time).

Graphics
Made slight improvements to brick shaders and textures. Bricks now have a more "plastic" feel to them. You can change graphics settings on game startup (such as quality and screen resolution).

Brick Selection

A method for cycling through all bricks has been included. You can choose between the 5 different brick categories in-game by using the alpha numeric keys 1-5, and then use your mouse scroll button to choose between bricks within that category.

Repainting & Removing bricks
You can repaint planted bricks by using the E key, and remove planted bricks using X. Removed bricks will have physics applied to them, and can be moved around by the player (or pushed / repainted using X or E). Interactive bricks removed from builds automatically despawn after 20 seconds. The infinite floor plane can also be repainted using E.

Pre-Alpha Public Release
If no major issues arise, I'm aiming to release a public pre-alpha demo on Discord by next weekend. The demo will include building, painting and removing bricks (individual brick physics); the floor plane of the map will be infinite. Note: The game is not finalized nor fully optimized by any means, this is still pre-alpha.

A windows version will be available, as well as a web-based version for everyone else (if your browser supports HTML 5, i.e. Firefox). The web version will not have the same graphics quality, but will allow other members of the server to at least try the game.

Demo Control Scheme
-Controls can be remapped on game startup, under the Input tab.
-Designed to work for computers both with or without the number pad.
A S D W or the Arrow Keys will move your player around, TAB will switch between 1st / 3rd person.
Holding Left-Shift will allow you to sprint while walking., pressing Space will cause you to jump, holding Space will allow you to fly.
4 5 6 8 or J K L I will reposition your brick, 7 9 or U O will rotate it; Numpad + - or ; P will raise / lower it.
Enter or Return to plant the ghost brick, Numpad 0 or Backspace will cancel it.
X will remove a planted brick, E will recolor it, R will toggle the paint GUI.
Numpad 1 2 3 or , . / will change the brick positioning / shifting methods.
Alpha 1 2 3 4 5 will switch between the 5 brick categories, your mouse scroll wheel will allow you to cycle all bricks within them.
+ (on the keyboard not numpad) will take a .jpg screenshot.
Escape will shutdown the game.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 02:14:03 AM by [GSF]Ghost »

Get hyped. Finally joined the discord too.