Author Topic: Block Party (Terrain Ex. Pg.124 - 2Million Blocks)  (Read 232214 times)

tell me this.
how do i play.

tell me this.
how do i play.
join the discord, there's a download there iirc

join the discord, there's a download there iirc
Yessir, although the demo is incredibly outdated by now. No ETA on the next update yet.

Development on BP has resumed! Here's a quick overview of recent progress:
  • Added free cam support
  • Made some adjustments to the Blender brick exporter, to handle exporting entire packs of bricks at the same time
  • Bricks can now be planted on various map surfaces, rather than just on the floor plane
  • The brick selection menu is being finalized and is already working to some extent, and will allow for collapsing / expanding groups of bricks
  • New bricks (As shown awhile back) are now being added, thanks to the improvements made to the exporter
  • Overhaul of how bricks and brick textures are handled; might implement new shaders and better bump mapping effects soon

I've also been working on a couple other small projects to help fund Block Party, such as a 2D logic puzzle game:

That looks cool. It looks like Tetris picross

That looks cool. It looks like Tetris picross
Thanks, yeah someone else mentioned it reminded them of Picross as well. I've never heard of it or played it before though, lol.

Here's a link to the Itch page btw, which has a download link to the free Windows demo if anyone's interested: https://asfghost.itch.io/pixik Block Party will be the main focus, however.

i know this is block party thread but i figured id say what i think here cuz i have no itchio profile

youve made picross with the added depth of colors and the added constraint of set piece shapes. one of the major strategies of picross (the optimal strategy) is process of elimination which helps guide you through the puzzle because its easier to eliminate what you know is impossible than it is to immediately guess the solution. pixik doesn't really have that except for the puzzle checker which is kinda damaging in its own right. i dont know if pixik has this but it'd be a good feature to be able to eliminate boxes where it would be impossible for that color to occupy. maybe like a menu on the side that lists all the colors and you can check one of the colors and it singles out all of that color and allows you to mark some spaces as eliminated.

its an interesting game and its totally viable to expand upon it. i feel that its a little more complex to handle than the standard picross due to the amount of colors. but really its just 3d picross with each color representing a layer, and constraint selection sizes. i feel that some of that complexity has to be handled in order for it to be better (at least in my opinion)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 11:12:32 PM by thegoodperry »

i know this is block party thread but i figured id say what i think here cuz i have no itchio profile

youve made picross with the added depth of colors and the added constraint of set piece shapes. one of the major strategies of picross (the optimal strategy) is process of elimination which helps guide you through the puzzle because its easier to eliminate what you know is impossible than it is to immediately guess the solution. pixik doesn't really have that except for the puzzle checker which is kinda damaging in its own right. i dont know if pixik has this but it'd be a good feature to be able to eliminate boxes where it would be impossible for that color to occupy. maybe like a menu on the side that lists all the colors and you can check one of the colors and it singles out all of that color and allows you to mark some spaces as eliminated.

its an interesting game and its totally viable to expand upon it. i feel that its a little more complex to handle than the standard picross due to the amount of colors. but really its just 3d picross with each color representing a layer, and constraint selection sizes. i feel that some of that complexity has to be handled in order for it to be better (at least in my opinion)
I appreciate the feedback. It does seem too complex, and I like the idea of being able to choose which layers / colors to show. I may resume work on Pixik later on, as I catch up on development with BP.

I was working on a physics-based version of the game as well, which I can also resume work on later:

Minor Update:

New bricks are now being added to BP! Many more are on the way, and various types of bricks will be included such as plates, 1x tall bricks, 5x tall, ramps, rounds, decorative, interior, exterior and more. I'm also experimenting with new brick textures, which are very easy to make.

Added support for planting bricks on various flat surfaces for maps, not just the floor grid.

A brick selection menu has finally been included! I'll be showing if off soon, once support for dynamically adding brick icons is added.

The way bricks and brick textures are handled has been completely rewritten. Bricks can now support prints as well.

Free camera support has been added, useful for building.

The Blender exporter now supports exporting multiple bricks at one time - meant for handling entire packs of bricks.

Quintuple Bump

Resuming work on Block Party today; still addressing some issues with revisions to how bricks are handled, especially regarding brick rotation.

Quintuple Bump

Resuming work on Block Party today; still addressing some issues with revisions to how bricks are handled, especially regarding brick rotation.
Nice; im well aware that Block Party is still in an early phase but do you have any plan of trying to advertise it a bit so you can get a following outside of the blockland community formed?