Author Topic: Block Party (Terrain Ex. Pg.124 - 2Million Blocks)  (Read 232202 times)

Nice; im well aware that Block Party is still in an early phase but do you have any plan of trying to advertise it a bit so you can get a following outside of the blockland community formed?
Not that I disagree with you but isn't it still a little to early for that?

noic dodecatuple bump

b-bump? is anyone still here?

But will there be mod support?

at the end of development yes

release date?
release date will be revealed at end of development

Bro u coping roblox

Added support for planting bricks on various flat surfaces for maps, not just the floor grid.
So bricks can now be placed on slanted hillsides? Would you be able to build them slanted with the hill, or would it have to be upright like Blockland?

Bumpity bump bump.

Nice; im well aware that Block Party is still in an early phase but do you have any plan of trying to advertise it a bit so you can get a following outside of the blockland community formed?
Yeah, it is still really early in development. Once the game enters beta, that might be the right time to start advertising.

I haven't worked out how exactly mods support will work, but they will definitely be a major focus of the game.

So bricks can now be placed on slanted hillsides? Would you be able to build them slanted with the hill, or would it have to be upright like Blockland?
Bricks will support being rotated 90 degrees on multiple axis - X, Y and Z, rather than just on Y like in Blockland. Although, I haven't considered adding support for slanted surfaces.

However, due to how bricks are handled in the game, rotating at various degrees could be possible. Maybe later on I can look into that, once I get the main features in place.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 11:37:47 AM by [GSF]Ghost »

jesus forget hes alive

Update: 8/16/19

Quick overview of recent progress:
- New, simplified system for handling bricks. Everything is being rewritten.
- .json format for storing bricks, which makes importing them much easier. The revised Blender exporter is close to being completely finished, and is capable of exporting entire packs of blocks all at once (or a single, selected brick, if desired instead).
- Brick grid condition checks are much faster, and avoid unnecessary calculations.
- Adjacent Face Occlusion is fully implemented, and is also designed to work as efficiently as possible. There is a significant increase in the amount of bricks that can be rendered on screen at the same time.
- A new shader editor has been purchased, and a basic, custom shader is now being used. I no longer have to rely on glitchy third-party shaders. Although, the custom shader and brick textures still need a lot of work and are not finished.
- Better management of allocated memory and garbage collection, which effects brick performance once planted. There is a noticeable improvement in performance with the changes, and more improvements are planned in the short and long term.
- Was able to render over 912,000 blocks on screen at the same time, using the recent improvements to blocks and builds (in contrast to a mere 10,000 blocks from before). The game still maintained an excellent framerate, and could possibly handle even more.

What's planned for the near future:
- A new building system will be started on soon (possibly featuring two new building methods)
- Saving / loading builds (not hard to pull off)
- More performance tweaks for builds
- Finalize block textures (they're still somewhat temporary side textures especially)
- Old features will be brought back later on

what was the framerate during the 912k block test

what was the framerate during the 912k block test
It was about 30 to 40fps iirc. That was while recording a video of the entire build being rendered in realtime, posted in the message above.

thats pretty good for 900 thousend bricks