Author Topic: Modern rap degeneracy  (Read 5089 times)

Because I can't go anywhere without hearing it and its extremely annoying. I don't usually bash on people's taste in music but its so popular and played in every public area that its headache inducing and quite frankly I'm getting a little tired of it. I can stand music like Country, which is popular as well and I really don't like it, but its definitely not as bad as this stuff.

Fair enough. I definitely can relate to popular media becoming way too droning, considering I have the opposite opinion of country music.

Mumble rap is stuff
Mumble rappers are stuff
They are not rappers
End of discussion

This is just cringy :/

Because I can't go anywhere without hearing it and its extremely annoying. I don't usually bash on people's taste in music but its so popular and played in every public area that its headache inducing and quite frankly I'm getting a little tired of it. I can stand music like Country, which is popular as well and I really don't like it, but its definitely not as bad as this stuff.
complaining about what is popular in the mainstream is a waste of time. you are literally wasting time and effort which could be spent seeking out better music. I have zero sympathies for you.

also, there is a lot of great country music.

I thought the "rap is crap!" meme was dead already

They are not rappers
Rapping is a musical form of vocal delivery that incorporates "rhyme, rhythmic speech, and street vernacular"

wrong obviously

Can you link me to something like this? I've never heard this type of music before.
google johnny cash

Because I can't go anywhere without hearing it and its extremely annoying. I don't usually bash on people's taste in music but its so popular and played in every public area that its headache inducing and quite frankly I'm getting a little tired of it.
there are people like you in every time period that say the same thing. there were probably people in the 80s who completely belittled madonna and michael jackson's talent just to say "they arnt talented theyre just popular and it annoys me" beside the fact that they are really creative artists and notable

'mumble rappers' like migos and yachty are in the same situation. the top charts say they're good, but like a small percentage of people think they're not and complain about it. in the end, they get their own documentary like 20 years later explaining how great they were and how influential they were on the music revolution of their time

i used to hear eminem's rap god playing all the time. i personally didn't like eminem or his music or style, but still i understand that he was definitely a very influential rapper who changed much of the west coast music industry from the late 90s to the early 2000s.

i dont like him personally but he was popular for a reason and that's what counts. pouting and asking "man why isnt my local rap slash guitar player more popular! he's way better!" isnt going to change the fact that eminem was really popular at the time and his style changed the genre entirely. if you can't recognize how artists influence various music styles and appreciate their ability to do so, you're really not at liberty to consider yourself a critic either

complaining about what is popular in the mainstream is a waste of time. you are literally wasting time and effort which could be spent seeking out better music. I have zero sympathies for you.
Thats not at all what this is about.
also, there is a lot of great country music.
Probably. Not my type of music though.

google johnny cash
??????????????????
'mumble rappers' like migos and yachty are in the same situation. the top charts say they're good, but like a small percentage of people think they're not and complain about it. in the end, they get their own documentary like 20 years later explaining how great they were and how influential they were on the music revolution of their time
It's close to midnight and something evil's lurking
In the dark
Under the moonlight you see a sight that almost stops
Your heart
You try to scream, but terror takes the sound before
You make it
You start to freeze as horror looks you right between
The eyes
You're paralyzed
'Cause this is thriller, thriller night
And no one's gonna save you from the beast about to
Strike
You know it's thriller, thriller night
You're fighting for your life inside a killer
Thriller tonight
VS
Uh, uh, play with that pusillanimous individual like peek-a-boo, uh
Play with that pusillanimous individual like peek-a-boo, uh
Play with that money like peek-a-boo, ooh
Play with these bitches like peek-a-boo, uh
Broke ass bitch ass brother
I'm not finna' play with you, that's what these rappers do
Peek-a-boo, peek-a-boo, peek-a-boo, peek-a-boo
Peek-a-boo, peek-a-boo, bitch
Peek-a-boo, bitch
Peek-a-boo, peek-a-boo, bitch
Peek-a-boo, peek-a-boo, peek-a-boo, peek-a-boo, brother (Lil Boat)
I'm not finna' play with you, that's what these rappers do

comparing an 80s hit to a 2017 hit is an awful idea. it really just shows that you judge song quality based on your own specific and biased criteria rather than influence and popularity, the only objective method of judging music

either way thriller is in my opinion better than peek a boo but i'd be insane to say that i listen to thriller every day

the lyrics to Thriller are not that impressive lol. Most lyrics in popular music are simple rhymes. They are emotive yes, but not exactly remarkable.

sadly one specific popular song that everyone liked 40 years ago cannot stay popular forever. it can become notable, which peek a boo probably will become at some point, but it wont stay popular.

this is the reason why we don't listen to people banging rocks together on the radio. music popularity evolves, from swing to blues to rock to pop to rap to trap and so forth

tbh to me most rap I hear is just the same verse and beat/rhythm repeated every other time with maybe a different one or two in between
but I mainly listen to radio for rap so

comparing an 80s hit to a 2017 hit is an awful idea. it really just shows that you judge song quality based on your own specific and biased criteria rather than influence and popularity, the only objective method of judging music
Okay, lets compare modern to modern then.
I don't like Metallica, but this song came out a few months ago and its very popular. I'd be lying if I said I didn't hear this on my car's radio every once in a while.

Blacked out
Pop queen, amphetamine
The screams crashed into silence
Tapped out
Doused in the gasoline
The high times going timeless
Decadence
Death of the innocence
The pathway starts to spiral
Infamy
All for publicity
Destruction going viral
Light it up
Ah, light it up
Another hit erases all the pain
Bulletproof
Ah, kill the truth
You’re falling, but you think you’re flying high
High again
Sold your soul
Built a higher wall
Yesterday
Now you’re thrown away
Same rise and fall
Who cares at all?
Seduced by fame
A moth into the flame
Twisted
Backstabbing wicked
The delusion absolution
Perjurer
Fame is the murderer
Seduce you into ruin
Light it up
Ah, light it up
Another hit erases all the pain
Bulletproof
Ah, tell the truth
You’re falling, but you think you’re flying high
High again

Sold your soul
Built the higher wall
Yesterday
Now you’re thrown away

Now, my bus driver would play this on the radio nearly every day
I got broads in Atlanta
Twistin' dope, lean, and the Fanta
Credit cards and the scammers
Hittin' off licks in the bando
Black X6, Phantom
White X6 looks like a panda
Goin' out like I'm Montana
Hundred killers, hundred hammers
Black X6, Phantom
White X6, panda
Pockets swole, Danny
Sellin' bar, candy
Man I'm the macho like Randy
The choppa go Oscar for Grammy
Bitch brother pull up ya panty
Hope you killas understand me

(repeats)

good music is only found by making your own discoveries. you won't find anything good listening to the radio so just put it in your head that anyone who listens to mainstream is garbage

music isn't comparable because people have their own subjective opinions. whatever is most popular gets played the most. it's popular for a reason, a reason that you, with a different taste in music, won't understand

if that particular metallica song charted #2 on the top 100 charts then it would be played all over the radio, because its popular

I don't like Metallica, but this song came out a few months ago and its very popular. I'd be lying if I said I didn't hear this on my car's radio every once in a while.

Again, none of these lyrics are remarkable. Metallica might be more focused on generating the long-winded imagery of a soothsayer, but desiigner pays greater attention to rhythm and references to facets of urban culture. they are specializing in very different things.

hey yall its almost like music is subjective
This is just as bad as what the op is saying. First off, music is objective. taste in music is subjective. Secondly, subjectivity in our tastes should not be a cop-out to end discussion. it should be the jumping off point for many discussions like this.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 12:34:44 PM by Mega-Bear »