Modern rap degeneracy

Author Topic: Modern rap degeneracy  (Read 5005 times)

I want to ride my bicycle
I want to ride my biiiiiiiike x50

critically acclaimed song by Queen

Thom Yorke is barely in tune half the time and Bob Dylan is whiny as stuff yet they're both musical gods, your argument is invalid

though it's def cringey to watch a bunch of people act all cool because they're listening to some rapper talk about his bitch for five minutes over a random sample from another artist who probably doesn't even know his work is being used like that

once again good music is subjective. the main determining factor isn't how 'good' it is, it's how many people like it.it has some correlation but not causation

also big shot producers like metro boomin or zaytoven are actually musically talented and put a lot of effort into their production, while people like dj khaled just sit around and shout their name
the social aspect of it is why it's so popular. it's also why madonna and mj were popular, because their songs became a thematic staple in cinema and tv shows almost instantly. thriller isn't like, an amazing song that absolutely captivates the listener. however, it is a radio friendly easy to listen to song that many people enjoy and that's what matters

you could make the best song in the world that only 2 people like and it would only be popular amongst those two people. or you could make a somewhat okay song that 100 million people like, which is objectively better since you're meeting the needs of like 999,999,998 more people. part of success is balance, not just stretching your listener base thin by choosing a really hit and miss style that only a few people will like thoroughly

Michael Jackson made some incredible music and his vocal chops set a precedent for a SWATHE of modern vocalists and musicians. To say he was popular because of a few hit movie tracks is to undersell how much of an incredible musician he was as well, along with the musicians he wrote with.

i agree with what you're trying to get at but bicycle race does have other lyrics than the chorus

Michael Jackson made some incredible music and his vocal chops set a precedent for a SWATHE of modern vocalists and musicians. To say he was popular because of a few hit movie tracks is to undersell how much of an incredible musician he was as well, along with the musicians he wrote with.

not to mention the guy took the time to craft his own dance moves and choreography

any pop artist who dances, like Chris Brown or MC Hammer, they wouldn't exist without MJ

i agree with what you're trying to get at but bicycle race does have other lyrics than the chorus

ya like

biiiiiicycle, biiiiicycle
I want to ride my
biiiiiicycle, biiiiiicycle x100
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 12:09:57 PM by Tactical Nuke »

I'm not a fan of rappers using the same 808 beat with uninspired delivery, but you don't have to listen to that if you don't want to.
The real problem lies with the commercial rejection of any form of experimentation not executed by well-established artists. This diminishes creativity and upholds only the records guaranteed to capitalize off of market trends.

i like instrumental trap music

and some festival trap music

is that bad

Tbh the songs nowadays are bearable but there are some absolute trash ones like Rolex, where the entire song's lryics repeat 3 full times in the short song

Kimon is actually kinda right for once, although it's less to do with capitalism and more to do with a shift in power from old crummy guys who didn't care what was sold as long as it was sold to hip young virtue-signaling dudes who write all the music for the artists and choose people based on looks rather than talent

there will be a day when cosmic background radiation is hailed as subjectively good

there will be a day when cosmic background radiation is hailed as subjectively good
forgetin kids these days..

It's extremely easy to ignore this stuff. I mean really no one is forcing you to listen to that music and it would make a difference if you just put your earbuds in a listen to what you wanna listen to. I mean I personally hate  this whole mumble rap stuff, but beside me hating it I couldn't give 2 flying forgets because at the end of the day I have my own music to listen to. I mean sure yea you are entitled to your own opinion but comparing lyrics from 2 totally different musical styles seems pretty dumb especially since music doesn't have to follow the same complexity or structures. And as far as generic music goes, all music passes through phases where you have the originators, 2nd wave guys, 3rd wave guys, and then mediocre guys and then it resets it self or at least that's how I see it.

my biggest criticism of the genre is in the lyrics. there's a lot of rap out there with boring, samey lyrics about the same stuff that everyone else sings about. i just don't even wanna hear another song about drugs, money, and women. it's just boring.

also: degeneracy is such a loving meme word. it's never used correctly and it's almost exclusively used by edgy dudes trying to sound smart.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 02:26:20 PM by Dreams_Of_Cheese »

i dunno man i'm digging it already

the people who complain about an entire genre being bad are typically the ones who don't delve into it. I don't see this entire "mumbling" bs but I can tell you first hand that you shouldn't discredit an entire genre for a small sample of what you hear.

I hate to play median but good music taste isn't something you achieve, it's all subjective.

poor lyricism doesn't mean it can't be critically acclaimed, there's a ton of music that isn't intricate yet has been positively received.
Thom Yorke is barely in tune half the time and Bob Dylan is whiny as stuff yet they're both musical gods, your argument is invalid
this is just wrong

pearl jam did the mumble thing years ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs8y3kneqrs
theres no official lyrics to this as it was all made up as they played