Author Topic: Stupidest Dwarf Fortress question EVER.  (Read 1288 times)

So, I've been trying to get into Dwarf Fortress, seems like a fun game, but I'm trying to mine, I know how to, its just that when I just select one area, the place I selected goes green, after I press enter on another tile, there is no yellow marker and it just disappears. I sound like an idiot, so I completely know I am one if it is so damn simple. Also, remember I'm using Lazy Newb Pack, and in DFHack I have Automatic Job Assignments, Other Automation Plugins, and Performance Tweaks enabled.

Figured out, you just need to mine in black areas, just one more question, how do I dig INTO walls without a black space behind them?

you can dig walls, those are generally anything that looks like a full block ascii character. if you queue a mineshaft you can see them being included as part of the job

that said you can carve steps instead of digging space and building one, which can help with preventing miners from getting trapped as you dig downwards. just something you should be careful of

Thanks for the tip, I am going to keep the topic open if others (highly unlikely) or I ever have another question.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 11:49:17 PM by Ayebee123 »

Hey, so I'm messing with farm plots, and I can't select plump helmets, can anyone help?

Hey, so I'm messing with farm plots, and I can't select plump helmets, can anyone help?
if you mean individual plump helmets on the farm, you cant queue those specifically to be harvested. they're auto queued as a job for anyone with the harvesting skill (or any farming/food/clothing related skill, if harvesting isn't a thing. i forgot, its been a while).

designating specific jobs for dwarves to do is a big part of the game, so make sure to disable any jobs on dwarves you dont want doing said job. example: your legendary cook shouldn't be doing woodcutting lest some feisty wild animal decides to attack him.

DFManager or whatever it is is an addon you can install to help you manage dwarf jobs/skills and get a better sense of who's doing what and/or is good at what in your fortress. most players consider it ok in terms of being true to the vanilla game, since all it really does is save you some time from creating your own spreadsheet and spending time doing menial task-setting-switching once your fortress gets big.

if you mean individual plump helmets on the farm, you cant queue those specifically to be harvested. they're auto queued as a job for anyone with the harvesting skill (or any farming/food/clothing related skill, if harvesting isn't a thing. i forgot, its been a while).

designating specific jobs for dwarves to do is a big part of the game, so make sure to disable any jobs on dwarves you dont want doing said job. example: your legendary cook shouldn't be doing woodcutting lest some feisty wild animal decides to attack him.

DFManager or whatever it is is an addon you can install to help you manage dwarf jobs/skills and get a better sense of who's doing what and/or is good at what in your fortress. most players consider it ok in terms of being true to the vanilla game, since all it really does is save you some time from creating your own spreadsheet and spending time doing menial task-setting-switching once your fortress gets big.

Sorry, I meant I can't scroll to it, not that i cant make someone harvest it

select the season first

when you set up farm plot settings it has 4 seasons and you select one crop for each one. basically enables automated crop rotations