Author Topic: Blocksquad  (Read 2540 times)

what about ai? (basically just bots that move in random directions and fire at any enemy unit that it can)

the ai doesn't do anything at all. you tell it where to go, what enemies to target, what to do. the smartest thing it can do by itself is move from one point to another

attacking enemies will just be radius checks and raycasts to see if enemies are in the line of sight. then the bot will fire directly at it, and sometimes it will miss, sometimes it will hit
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 04:46:56 AM by PhantOS »

im talking about enemies though

its pvp. the enemies are just another player controlling them in the same way you control your units. think of it like chess. coding an ai and nodepathing the entire map is too time consuming for me to handle alone
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 04:56:12 AM by PhantOS »

Wait....dude did you just create path-finding for bots while creating this? Cause I feel like that could be done with what ya got here. Greek tried it a while back but said it took too long to load up. Didn't say it was impossible though. Just a hassle to load. ;)

This looks amazing by the way. No seriously, this makes me wonder just how far you can go with the Torque Engine. Perhaps the sky isn't the limit for a change.

its more path-following than path-finding. you set nodes and connections, and use aiplayer.movetodestination(%pos) to make it move one after another. path-finding is more complex, and i've tried making it before and it didn't work out efficiently enough to be useful

you could make an algorithm off of the node system, which is what i did. however, the algorithm is the hard part, and finding the best way to calculate paths efficiently

are you gonna host showing everyone whats done and whats not done

no because its not done. hosting it will just show people a bunch of random bots and me spamming code into the chat for hours.

if you want to know how much is done:

unit selection
moving

attacking
reloading
turn ending
gamestate & turn progression