Court Rules That Politicians Blocking Followers Violates Free Speech

Author Topic: Court Rules That Politicians Blocking Followers Violates Free Speech  (Read 4175 times)

but the user is a major government entity whose major form of communication is twitter
hes using a service which is providing him the right to block anyone he wants. its twitter's choice, not the 'american people' or the president or anybody. they get to decide whether blocking is allowed or not

there's no freedom of speech on the internet. unless you explicitly join a forum that guarantees that you can say whatever you want without repercussion, your freedom to say stuff is limited. if Annoying Orange wants to block someone from his own personal account, he can do it
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 08:07:54 PM by PhantOS »

when was the last time his twitter actually announced something important and wasn't a massive stuffpost

hey guys wanna know how to get around twitter blocks? it's called incognito mode :o

hey guys wanna know how to get around twitter blocks? it's called incognito mode :o
hacker

Not sure whether I agree that blocking followers on twitter counts as a violation of free speech (even if POTUS is doing it), but it's definitely a richard move to silence the voices of your constituents.

Also, what kind of pusillanimous individual holds the most powerful office in the world and still feels the need to defend himself from trolls on social media? He could literally nuke them.

🤔 What about the followers blocking politicians?

when was the last time his twitter actually announced something important and wasn't a massive stuffpost
Uhh literally just days ago he announced that transgender people would be banned from the military on Twitter. He did this before even consulting his generals. I would argue it would be important for a trans person in the military to see that tweet even if the policy hasn't gone through yet so they can prepare for their discharge.

Uhh literally just days ago he announced that transgender people would be banned from the military on Twitter. He did this before even consulting his generals. I would argue it would be important for a trans person in the military to see that tweet even if the policy hasn't gone through yet so they can prepare for their discharge.

and that was just a loving raging success of a tweet wasn't it?

and that was just a loving raging success of a tweet wasn't it?
What? It doesn't matter if the tweet made people mad, he announced a major change in military policy on Twitter and only Twitter.

the ruling here was specifically because the account was being used 'in a public capacity' to provide a platform for constituents to communicate with an elected official. in that context, it's essentially like banning someone from a virtual town hall meeting because they critiqued your policy decisions, and that seems to me like a pretty straightforward first amendment violation. if it were a totally personal account and someone just went off on their politics on a totally unrelated post about eating oreos for desert then it'd be a different story

i'd say @POTUS qualifies as being used in a public capacity here since it's commonly being used as a stage to announce policy intent and direction for an elected official

What? It doesn't matter if the tweet made people mad, he announced a major change in military policy on Twitter and only Twitter.

his twitter has done nothing more than to piss off most of the country and give his base something to jerk off too. i'd pay real money to find a tweet that sparked a good reaction- or at least didn't create a new joke for snl to ride for a month. even when he does post a policy (like the transmission ban) it's done in the most unprofessional way ever it can't help but spark a stuffstorm. nobody is getting informed by his twitter, they're all laughing at it

even when he does post a policy (like the transmission ban) it's done in the most unprofessional way ever it can't help but spark a stuffstorm. nobody is getting informed by his twitter, they're all laughing at it
but the fact is he DID post a policy, it doesnt matter if 90% of the interaction with his twitter isnt informational. if he uses it in ANY PUBLIC CAPACITY then it should be held to all those restrictions

but the fact is he DID post a policy, it doesnt matter if 90% of the interaction with his twitter isnt informational. if he uses it in ANY PUBLIC CAPACITY then it should be held to all those restrictions
there's no freedom of speech on the internet. unless you explicitly join a forum that guarantees that you can say whatever you want without repercussion, your freedom to say stuff is limited. if Annoying Orange wants to block someone from his own personal account, he can do it

his twitter has done nothing more than to piss off most of the country and give his base something to jerk off too. i'd pay real money to find a tweet that sparked a good reaction- or at least didn't create a new joke for snl to ride for a month. even when he does post a policy (like the transmission ban) it's done in the most unprofessional way ever it can't help but spark a stuffstorm. nobody is getting informed by his twitter, they're all laughing at it
i think the point is that, regardless of the outcome or response, if the account is being used to communicate public policy then it's not right to silence [real] people from responding to express their concerns, support, or other thoughts, even if that input is ultimately inconsequential, as most direct calls, letters, or meetings you might have with elected officials probably would be on their own. effectively forbidding people from interacting with a relevant public official on policy matters stifles free speech, regardless of how easy it is to implement that obstacle for them. politicians aren't obligated to do your bidding or listen to every word you have to say, but they are obligated to make sure everyone has equal access to whatever media of communication exists between them and the citizens they affect. silencing particular individuals create unequal access to this communication.

again, this is all assuming it's politics. personal matters are different, and i'd be hesitant to say the same principle should apply there, because as individuals, politicians are still entitled to a safe private life
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 09:02:12 PM by otto-san »