Why do people still believe the Earth is 6000 years old (Young Earthers)?

Author Topic: Why do people still believe the Earth is 6000 years old (Young Earthers)?  (Read 3775 times)

I'm Christian and even I believe earth is insanely old and dont deny science like a nutjob

the bible shouldnt be taken literally.

well intelligent people nowadays know this, sure.
but the bible WAS written to be taken literal. every word.

thats why all modern Christians are full of stuff. they either arnt following the word of god at all, or are horrible human beings for doing so.

finding hidden meanings and solving non existent puzzles within the book is what modern people do to excuse the bullstuff.

A great short story of how even the most basic astronomy techniques from the 1600s disprove the Young Earth hypothesis

Let's say we go back a few centuries when we don't have a ton of fancy astrological equipment, only basic telescopes and angle measuring devices.

How would you determine the distance from you, on the earth, to some astronomical object? Well, if that object is the sun, well if we're in the 1700s then we actually need to go back a century to 1672, when Cassini measured the distance between the earth and the sun using only basic angular measurements and basic geometry.

Here is a video that describes the process in detail, showing every mathematical step.

They used something called parallax to determine the distance between them and Mars, and then used that to calculate distance to the Sun.

Interestingly enough, the use of parallax doesn't stop there. With more precise measurements, we can accurately determine the distance between us and a distant object.

The basic premise is this:

When we're on one side of the sun, we'll make a certain angle to the distant object, and when we're on the other side of the sun, that angle will be different. Using that angle difference, you can do some simple trigonometry to figure out the distance between the earth and that object.

However, this only works for certain angles. As the angle gets smaller it gets increasingly difficult to measure it. We can measure angles as tiny as 1/5000th of an arcsecond. (An arcsecond is 0.0002778 of a degree.)

However, this extremely primitive form of distance measurement is already a huge problem for the whole "universe is 6000 years old" claim, because 1/5000th of an arcsecond of parallax corresponds to a distance of 32,600 light years. That means that the light took 32,600 years to get to earth, completely shattering 6000yr number.

I could go on for some time about how this method was used to develop new, better methods for finding the distance to different objects (That works to much further distances) but I don't know if anyone really cares at all.

i mean something else is the size of the observable universe isn't 2000 light years in radius it's 46.6 billion light years

I think you mean 2017 years lmao
It's 2017 years old smh
fucl you

I don't think there's any scripture that actually tells us the Earth is young. I think it's conspiracy on-par with flat/hollow Earth. They tend to be tied to religion but not dictated by it. Still haven't found any scientific discoveries that I had to say were false to protect my religion.

That being said, the Earth is 6000 years old and anything that dates back further was put there by God to test our faith

because handicapped atheists like to use it to stuff on christians

That being said, the Earth is 6000 years old and anything that dates back further was put there by God to test our faith
Not sure if trolling or

It's sad that so many Christians are adamant about arguing over this- at the end of the day it doesn't really matter and just distracts from more important issues.

Not MY earth. This World Is Only 2017 Year Old, Of Course!

I'm Christian and even I believe earth is insanely old and dont deny science like a nutjob

You're all wrong my misguided friends, the Earth is actually 7,000 years old.

daily reminder I study evolution

this is all a facade your memories were created ten minutes ago, it is all false

hello, gentleman. i come to offer free fedoras as we carry on with our intellectual conversation and/or debate.

please, i insist you take one