NONNEL COLORS THE FUCK OUT OF SOME OLD ASS stuff

Poll

color?

"color"
41 (65.1%)
"colour"
22 (34.9%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Author Topic: NONNEL COLORS THE FUCK OUT OF SOME OLD ASS stuff  (Read 6998 times)

I like this one the most
agreed, this one adds a ton of life to the picture, its almost indescribable

okay I'm probably handicapped but how do you know what colors to use when you do this?

also, are you doing research to see specific colours or buildings etc, or are you just freestylin
okay I'm probably handicapped but how do you know what colors to use when you do this?
Some research and some guessing. This one for example:

I found out it was in Columbus Circle, NYC and I managed to find a color picture of the Coca Cola sign and a couple of the buildings. I also found modern pictures of the taxis. Since it's NYC, I assumed that the guy had a Yankees cap on (dark blue).

Stuff like the peoples' clothes or that billboard in the back that probably changed by the month or the dozen other buildings, I just guessed on.

Also that Coca Cola billboard is pretty neat. If you can't tell, it was a giant thermometer.

These are really nice Nonnel, good job. that picture of the madman has me howling with laughter... I wonder how he did that?

draw unova being a loving handicap

the colors are a bit too oversaturated and flat but nice work

Childen gathered at a comic book stand, Romford Market, England, 1953?

First off, this image is dated 1947 but being as I had to look up each of these comics, I know that the latest one in there was 1953, so that's the date I'm going with.
Second: this picture was hell because I had to look up each of these comics. The majority of them had direct references but there were an odd few which either 1. I could not find an English version of the comic cover or 2. I couldn't figure out what loving comic it was.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 03:37:01 PM by Nonnel »

The colors on each of the comics are amazing, well done.

The rest of the world, mostly people's skin and the concrete, feels undersaturated (or in the case of the concrete, too much of a light blue)

I don't think the problem is with saturation. I think the word everybody is looking for is "flat". Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like OP is just assigning color to the pictures rather than taking into account the actual physics of light. The comics look great, because they generally have very vibrant and clear colors, but the more complicated parts of the picture like skin color (which can contain an incredible amount of tones from every part of the spectrum) and clothes and the environment will need more attention to detail, things like time of day, light bouncing, ect.

It's good that OP is researching the pictures to figure out which colors to use.

EDIT: This is a good interview I saw a while ago regarding the subject, talking about a couple important concepts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vubuBrcAwtY
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 05:48:17 AM by Rally »

Columbus Circle, New York City, 1954
mmm i love this one, the colors pop out rly nicely

I don't think the problem is with saturation. I think the word everybody is looking for is "flat". Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like OP is just assigning color to the pictures rather than taking into account the actual physics of light. The comics look great, because they generally have very vibrant and clear colors, but the more complicated parts of the picture like skin color (which can contain an incredible amount of tones from every part of the spectrum) and clothes and the environment will need more attention to detail, things like time of day, light bouncing, ect.

It's good that OP is researching the pictures to figure out which colors to use.

EDIT: This is a good interview I saw a while ago regarding the subject, talking about a couple important concepts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vubuBrcAwtY
Very helpful, thank you.

I retouched a few of the pictures I already had done. Should look a little better now.

What software do you use to do this? Great coloring btw

What software do you use to do this? Great coloring btw
We did this with gimp in school

using Photoshop to do this. I'll post some more soon.

im loving these
the kind of vivid colors makes everything seem strange and dream like