Computer Broke, Using a Old Slow Windows XP PC. How can i upgrade the OS?

Author Topic: Computer Broke, Using a Old Slow Windows XP PC. How can i upgrade the OS?  (Read 775 times)

So my windows 10 pc broke and the only other computer i've got is a old windows xp pc. It is very slow at the moment because of all the stuff in it and theres no factory reset. Anyway i can upgrade it? or take out all of the garbage?
worth noting it has a OS Boot Menu, so i can install a OS and boot up to it?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 08:14:29 AM by Superbro11 »

If you want to get the best experience you should wipe the disk completely and reinstall the OS. Do this with DBAN on a flash drive (install it with Rufus) and booting it in the bios. Have anything important backed up of course.

And the OS choice is up to you, I guess it depends on the system it runs on. If it was running XP then it probably wasn't designed with the performance/is too old to run something like 10, maybe try 7 or even linux. Use a flash drive and install the OS boot disk iso with Rufus like before.

If you want to get the best experience you should wipe the disk completely and reinstall the OS. Do this with DBAN on a flash drive (install it with Rufus) and booting it in the bios. Have anything important backed up of course.

And the OS choice is up to you, I guess it depends on the system it runs on. If it was running XP then it probably wasn't designed with the performance/is too old to run something like 10, maybe try 7 or even linux. Use a flash drive and install the OS boot disk iso with Rufus like before.
Alright, also i realized how bad the parts are in todays era. Only 1 gb ram and a geforce 7300 le.
Ill try this when i get my mom to buy more up to date parts. Thanks, ill bookmark this for now.

honestly beware about upgrading to windows 7 becuase it's possible that it could make it slower then if you did a clean install of windows xp
depends on the computer's specs tho

i'd reinstall windows xp, i dont think later os's will run well. you can also try the linux route if you want.

I recommend you install a better computer.

Ill try this when i get my mom to buy more up to date parts.
If you're gonna buy parts then why not buy parts to fix the Windows 10 pc?
The old PC likely doesn't have any room for upgrading

that school i went to for junior year did w7 on xp computers because they were cheap af
can confirm that it's not really a good idea

If you're gonna buy parts then why not buy parts to fix the Windows 10 pc?
The old PC likely doesn't have any room for upgrading
The windows 10 pc is a insprion all in one pc which the system cant have its gpu changed, im not sure whats wrong with it as the windows 10 pc when booted is just a black screen and a loud fan