Author Topic: Why do so many people heavily obsess over shows?  (Read 4427 times)

Why can't people just casually like shows, and not obsess over them so much? I see so many stuffty loving rick and morty memes on g+ and discord. I used to like the show, but the amount of memes about it and my friends constantly talking about it really worsened it for me.
This applies to many other shows as well that i might have had a chance of getting into, there isn't a single day I go by without someone mentioning steven universe. I try to distance myself from it as much as possible but I bloody forgetin' can't.

This also applies to games like overwatch and undertale

because people like things and game of thrones is that bitch so ....

deal with it

I find things are far more enjoyable if I don't take the fandom into account in any regard when I view, play, or otherwise experience them.

Yeah i get people like things but can people please not mention it once every 5 goddamn seconds

i guess that depends on what you're qualifying as obsessive behavior. people interact with their interests in different ways and their standard for casual interest is probably just different from yours. like, i enjoy drawing already, so if there's a show or game with character designs that i like, i'll probably draw those characters. same goes for people who make music, write stories, etc. people also make communities around common interests (like, for instance, a lego building game) so they can make friends and talk with people who will understand the topic. (also this is probably why tumblr ended up being such a good place for fandoms, the tag system is pretty easy to work and it lets people really casually engage in communities without much effort)

it does makes sense that you might get frustrated if you can't follow those conversations ofc, tho that doesn't mean they're doin something wrong

People that really like things take those things on as a personality facet. When they see sleights against things they like, they take them as personal insults.

Probably the best way i could describe my hatred for that kind of obsessive behaviour Is like this.
Wallace Breen from half life 2, he's a character that early on you don't know much about, you don't know many of the bad things he's done, and you don't know if he's the mastermind or just a humanlike costume for the combine, but you see his face over and over again throughout the course of the entire game, and you just start to hate him, just because he's everywhere, just because you can't escape from him.
That's how i often feel about fandoms being so obsessive

its like how people obsess over blockland. theres nothing inherently wrong with it until you keep coming back after like 6 years to watch an ended show.

This also applies to games like overwatch

but rly yea it's just cus people like the thing and liking sharing things about that thing

ya idk, only thing i can say is that there's nothing inherently wrong with people enjoying things, being inspired by them, and talking about them. people can be obnoxious about it and that can be annoying, but if just seeing innocuous discussion or inspired content related to a fandom elicits a negative reaction from you that might be smth you gotta sort out on your own

Another point is it's better to be obnoxious about liking something than being obnoxious about not liking something. A lotta people here have convinced themselves that it's cool to vocally hate something, while it's not the case whatsoever.