[LOCAL, IL] Wheaton College football players suspended in "hazing" incident

Author Topic: [LOCAL, IL] Wheaton College football players suspended in "hazing" incident  (Read 732 times)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-wheaton-college-hazing-follow-met-20170920-story.html
Quote from: The "Tribune"
Spielman, who is expected to plead not guilty, was punished following an internal inquiry at the evangelical Christian school last year, attorney Mark Sutter told reporters Wednesday. Though Sutter said he did not know the details of the punishment, Spielman remained a full-time student and a member of the football team.

Sources told the Tribune that several players were required to perform 50 hours of community service and write an eight-page essay reflecting on their behavior. Spielman and his four co-defendants in the hazing case did not play in the home opener last season, but records show Spielman played in all the rest.

Given that the school wrapped up its investigation months ago, Spielman's attorney questioned why it took police more than 18 months to make a decision in the criminal case. The charges do not hinge on the kind of DNA or forensic evidence that typically prolong an investigation.

"He was exonerated to the extent that when charges likely could have been levied (last year), they weren't," Sutter said. "I don't know what the impetus is for the delay. I certainly will investigate that. ... I guess exonerated is the wrong word, but the fact is they were punished. It was handled internally."

Wheaton police said it was a complicated case that involved many people, including multiple suspects, a victim and several other witnesses. It was also slowed during the summer months when students left campus, authorities said.

A Wheaton College spokesman did not respond to a request for comment. Earlier this week, the school called the hazing incident "unacceptable" and contrary to the school's religious values.

Attorney: Spielman family 'shocked and disappointed' in Wheaton College hazing case
A 21-year-old defensive lineman from Columbus, Ohio, Spielman turned himself in at the Wheaton Police Department late Tuesday night and was released on $5,000 bail. He and his teammates have cooperated with law enforcement throughout the investigation, authorities said.

Quote from: Pecon (thanks)
hazing just means an initiation ritual that usually involves some kind of challenge or abuse

i'm really shocked about this
/discuss
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 04:11:44 PM by MicroEDGE »

Jesus, I wouldn't call that hazing, that was more like full on assault

The first player — who did file a complaint — told investigators that he was watching the NCAA basketball tournament in a dorm room on March 19, 2016, when several teammates entered the room and tackled him, according to investigative records obtained by the Tribune. The freshman kicked his legs and yelled at them to stop, only to be punched and have his bare legs and wrists wrapped in duct tape, he said.

The players put a pillowcase over the 19-year-old's head and took him from the residence hall. The freshman told investigators that he was placed in the back seat of a teammate's vehicle and held down by at least two players while others piled into the vehicle.

After the vehicle began moving, they played Middle Eastern music, and at one point the players suggested to the freshman that he had been kidnapped by Muslims who wanted to fornicate with goats, the teen told investigators. They patted his foot and suggested he would be their "goat" for the evening, the records said. 

The teen told investigators that his teammates restrained him with more duct tape during the drive, pulled down his shorts and underwear, then repeatedly tried to insert an object into his rectum. After the freshman yelled at them to stop, he was beaten, he said. 

The players drove to a park located off campus and carried the teen onto a baseball diamond, according to his account. The players threw dirt on the teen, took his cellphone and left him half-naked on the field, he said.

The freshman, who went to the hospital and spoke with police officers later that night, suffered two labrum tears that required surgery, authorities said. He withdrew from the school a short time later. 

hazing is basically stripping someone, wrapping them in duct tape, and dragging them to the football field.

there's a special interest for everything apparently

Jesus, I wouldn't call that hazing, that was more like full on assault
Assault, kidnapping, and rape.

there's a special interest for everything apparently
OP is wrong, hazing just means an initiation ritual that usually involves some kind of challenge or abuse.

uh what the forget

ah, straight boys, what can you do? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
boys will be boys haw haw haw hem hem haw haw

ah, straight boys, what can you do? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm just doin this cus its fun... no homo

This is why we have guns, to remove motherforgeters like these from the gene pool