The debate of the century: help me settle an argument

Poll

Is it weird to start an online conversation with "Hello?" (With a question mark)

Yes
22 (57.9%)
No
16 (42.1%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: The debate of the century: help me settle an argument  (Read 1761 times)

Is it weird to start an online conversation with, "hello?" ?

I think so. Friend is convinced it's a normal thing to do. I need it proven mathematically
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 02:52:51 PM by Mysteroo »

what exactly is wrong with saying hello at the beginning of conversations

what exactly is wrong with saying hello at the beginning of conversations
"Hello?"

With a question mark

"Hello?"

With a question mark

a question mark or any punctuation wouldn't really change the normality of either, you're grabbing someone's attention. there's nothing wrong with this

it sounds like you just picked up the phone and is asking if somebody is there

Feels to me like someone answering a phone as if they don't know who they're talking to

Beat me to the punch

yeah it's basically the same thing, if you're initiating an online conversation you don't necessarily know that the recipient is going to be on the other end. i imagine the purpose of the question mark is to account for the possibility that you aren't there or can't answer

depends on the situation

Yeah, there are some contexts in which it seems fine. But let's say it's in a normal situation in which someone just messages you out of the blue

that's a little weird. I'd probably say 'you there?' instead or just 'hey'

the question mark is a little strange, but that's it. saying hello is a pretty normal thing to do.

6 and 4 dn the poll so far

This is a lot more even than I thought It'd be