Bethesda literally makes a paid mod for skyrim

Author Topic: Bethesda literally makes a paid mod for skyrim  (Read 2369 times)

I don't think paid mods are that bad of an idea but calling the creation club a disaster would be an understatement
I'll agree with that. I'm not opposed to paying modders for their work in principle. Bethesda just don't seem to understand what people are and are not willing to buy in a mod. I'm not gonna buy a 5 dollar sword mod. I might buy a 10 dollar expansion or game overhaul. Maybe. If it's good. And I'm definitely not gonna buy a developer-made mod (???) that imitates another, already existing mod.

My other issue is that I don't like the idea of paying Bethesda for work they didn't do. I already bought the game needed to run the mod, why should they get a cut just for existing? Is the game's price + all the DLC (which many mods require) not enough to sustain the starving artists at Bethesda? C'mon.

I'll agree with that. I'm not opposed to paying modders for their work in principle. Bethesda just don't seem to understand what people are and are not willing to buy in a mod. I'm not gonna buy a 5 dollar sword mod. I might buy a 10 dollar expansion or game overhaul. Maybe. If it's good. And I'm definitely not gonna buy a developer-made mod (???) that imitates another, already existing mod.

My other issue is that I don't like the idea of paying Bethesda for work they didn't do. I already bought the game needed to run the mod, why should they get a cut just for existing? Is the game's price + all the DLC (which many mods require) not enough to sustain the starving artists at Bethesda? C'mon.
Not to mention the slew of other problems including:
*Most mods on CC have superior free versions
*The mods get installed to your storage even before you buy them which poses a huge problem, especially to consoles which tend to have smaller hard drives
*The modders only get a predetermined pay before the mod becomes Bethesda's property, which means Bethesda can then rake in the cash and use the mod again as official content for newer games without permission

The modders only get a predetermined pay before the mod becomes Bethesda's property, which means Bethesda can then rake in the cash and use the mod again as official content for newer games without permission
if you consider creation club a process by which bethesda hires community talent to produce content, this isn't too out of the ordinary. if you make a model for blizzard to use in world of warcraft, they aren't going to pay you royalties for using that model for the entire lifespan of its use. you get hired to make the model for them and you're done. this is probably well-understood and agreed-upon before people participate in creation club

the mods, er, creations, they make, should not be skins and stuff. skins and stuff should be worth 20 cc AT MOST.

because I can honestly almost justify the price at that point, but not loving 500 cc for a loving skin or a weapon. that's bullstuff. even on a cold, callous, malevolent business level that's just dumb. nobody would (or rather, should*) buy that
*people are stupid, unfortunately

the majority of the ~Products~ should be stuff on the level of the survival mode, but priced at 100 cc at MOST

ideally paid mods is not a Fun Idea. at all.

buuuuuuuuuuut it is nice to think that modders can get jobs in some way. maybe not this way. this might be a bad way

hmm

maybe just. directly hire them. maybe. instead of doing this backhanded single-use commissioning bullstuff

the modders don't get any sort of royalties, they just get paid for the work. which is sort of forgeted up if you ask me.

the modders don't get any sort of royalties, they just get paid for the work. which is sort of forgeted up if you ask me.
that's just what being hired/contracted usually entails. you don't own the things you make for a company, they just buy your skills to create them. they aren't buying the rights to use something you already made, you're creating something that they ask you to create. it's not comparable to something like steam workshop or youtube cus the modders aren't autonomously marketing their own creations
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 01:26:45 AM by otto-san »

I'm honestly just surprised they didn't learn from the last time they tried to force paid mods down everyone's throat on the steam workshop. I'd much rather have free mods, but a way to donate to the mod creator if I wish to than get forced to pay for a mod that I don't even know the quality of.

I'm honestly just surprised they didn't learn from the last time they tried to force paid mods down everyone's throat on the steam workshop. I'd much rather have free mods, but a way to donate to the mod creator if I wish to than get forced to pay for a mod that I don't even know the quality of.
couldn't you say the same thing for any game or other software or anything you ever buy

to be fair, its a huge mod that adds lots of gameplay, and official "mods" are always going to be compatible with anything. good for those of us who use 300 mods :p

to be fair, its a huge mod that adds lots of gameplay, and official "mods" are always going to be compatible with anything. good for those of us who use 300 mods :p
that and "Survival" is probably way better integrated than Frostfall, Realistic Needs, or even iNeed. If Creation Club had more Survivals and less Mudcrab Armor I'd be totally down with it

can someone give me insight on what creation club is
ive NEVER heard of creation club until now and im confused

I don't think paid mods are that bad of an idea but calling the creation club a disaster would be an understatement

Only a bethesdrone would defend creation club.

can someone give me insight on what creation club is
ive NEVER heard of creation club until now and im confused

https://creationclub.bethesda.net/en

essentially you get hired by bethesda to create content after you pitch your idea and have it approved