Can my computer play Gmod?

Author Topic: Can my computer play Gmod?  (Read 1988 times)

I plan on possibly getting Garry's Mod sometime next month, but my computer is an old hand-me down, most likely nabbed from an office building. I don't know the exact year this computer was made, but what I do have s some information on how it preforms with games. Another reason I made this topic is because when I ask random people I find on BL, they give me mixed responses. Instead of going on a wild goose chase, I decided to ask the densest population: the forums. Luckily, some of you know more about computers than I do, so you'll be able to figure this out for me.

Specs:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU  Q8300  @2.50 GHz  2.50 GHz
Installed Memory (RAM): 6.00 GB
System Type: 64-bit Operating System

Performance:
Blockland:
~105 FPS with 0 bricks
~100 FPS with 1k bricks
~95 FPS with 10k bricks
~50 FPS with 100k bricks
~10 FPS on Sapphire Server's Medieval RP (200k bricks with many add-ons, events, and players)

Minceraft:
~40 FPS on a default superflat, no mobs, picture of settings
~20 FPS on the same superflat, but with Chunks Rendered set to 16
~10 FPS on the same superflat, but with Chunks Rendered set to 32

Kerbal Space Program:
~10 FPS anywhere, even on the title screen

Team Fortress 2:
Opening TF2 leads to a black screen, and my computer's resolution getting forgeted up. The black screen can only be closed by either restarting the computer, or forcing the program to not respond.

Afterword:
I don't want to spend 8% of my money on Gmod, only for it to be noting but a black screen on my computer. If you need any more information on how well my computer handles, don't hesitate to ask. Thanks for your time. Here are some other questions:

What's your GPU?
Intel G45/G43 Express Chipset

« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 03:53:16 PM by Chris72003 »

You might be able to run it. But that's all you'll be able to say because you won't really be able to enjoy it much with that low level of performance

if you dont mind lowest settings, my stuffty emachine can handle 99% of servers without issue.

Specs:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU  Q8300  @2.50 GHz  2.50 GHz
Installed Memory (RAM): 6.00 GB
System Type: 64-bit Operating System

Performance:
Team Fortress 2:
Opening TF2 leads to a black screen, and my computer's resolution getting forgeted up. The black screen can only be closed by either restarting the computer, or forcing the program to not respond.

I didn't expect miracles but this is a freaking miracle right here. TF2 should still be able to run on these specs, albeit on low settings. Show us your GPU.

im guessing that since tf2 doesn't even work on your computer that gmod wont either

Intel G45/G43 Express Chipset is GPU, added to OP

I didn't expect miracles but this is a freaking miracle right here. TF2 should still be able to run on these specs, albeit on low settings. Show us your GPU.
he doesn't have a gpu he has integrated graphics
paired with a really poor cpu and tf2 not working, and i dont think it really looks well for him being able to run it

if you had a dedicated gpu your computer wouldn't be too bad.

if you had a dedicated gpu your computer wouldn't be too bad.

that cpu is almost a decade old

if tf2 doesnt work, gmod wont either

if your pc cant handle tf2, good luck handling gmod

you can return any game that has under 20 min play time within 2 weeks right? could always just test it out

people keep saying "if you cant play TF2 you cant play gmod" but you do realize TF2 is MORE graphically demanding than gmod, right?

ninjaedit: to stress my point, it is literally just a seriously, seriously beefed up HL2. If you can run half life 2, you're fine. seriously.