youtube runs incredibly stufftily on firefox; is it just me? -solved-

Author Topic: youtube runs incredibly stufftily on firefox; is it just me? -solved-  (Read 1003 times)

ever since the new layout update came out, youtube videos have been loading choppily in firefox, but when i open the same video in chrome it's at perfect 60fps with no stuttering.
the choppiness of the videos also slows down any game i am watching, which it never did before (if i have the video open on my second monitor, the performance of any game goes from 60fps to bouncing between 40-60fps.

i'm going to address the "solutions" you're probably going to give me;
  • is your computer just running slow? while my computer isn't the greatest in the world, it could handle youtube before the layout and firefox v57 update. considering how it can handle 1080p 60fps videos on chrome, it's not my computer, rather the differences between browsers
  • why not just use chrome? currently, i'm using chrome for watching videos only. i personally dislike how chrome looks (window design just looks weird for me, idk why; no userstyle looks good to me.) and would prefer not to use it.
  • update your drivers all drivers are up to date on my computer and there are no problems there. once again, not my machine causing the problem.
  • revert to an earlier version of firefox/youtube layout maybe? i have tried older builds of firefox, but the same problem still occurs. additionally the old youtube layout is only marginally less laggy and choppy (still visible to see the video stuttering and page slowness). i have also tried an addon which claims to help youtube videos on firefox, but it only made it even worse.

if you still think it's my machine, you can do a bit of research on it; specs here

i have been dealing with this for a week and any information about this online is scarce (most google results just gives me posts from like 2012, which is for an entirely different problem); i want to know if anyone else on the forums uses firefox and has noticed the same problems, and if possible how they solved it.

solved, findings in thread; if you don't wanna read then i'll sum it up for anyone else with the same problem.
  • uBlock origin seems to have an effect on video smoothness.
  • reverting to the old layout can reduce the stuttering.
  • waterfox functions much nicer on youtube, thanks hootaloo for the suggestion
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 03:53:40 PM by Refticus »

try waterfox
could you atleast tell me if it works on youtube better?
just saying "try waterfox" without any reason really does not help

idk i dont have ur issue i use chrome lol

also my suggestion isnt baseless thanks for assuming it is

what addons do you have enabled? does this happen with a fresh install with Firefox or only after you enable certain addons?

also is this the add on you already tried: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/h264ify/ ?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 02:50:32 PM by RedGajin »

what addons do you have enabled? does this happen with a fresh install with Firefox or only after you enable certain addons?
currently, i only have uBlock installed. disabling uBlock works with non-60fps videos, but when moving to a 60fps video without uBlock it's choppy
chrome with uBlock has no issues whatsoever.
also is this the add on you already tried: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/h264ify/ ?
yeah
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 03:07:43 PM by Refticus »

did u try waterfox yet because any time my firefox had problems with youtube (often) waterfox worked

did u try waterfox yet because any time my firefox had problems with youtube (often) waterfox worked
thanks for actually giving me a reason this time :v

testing waterfox with the old layout and uBlock enabled is fine.
reverted to new layout, pages load somewhat slower, but playback is smooth on 60fps 1080p

also the design of waterfox is p cool with dark theme enabled

thanks hoot

what do you mean loading choppily

i always watch youtube while having another file open to focus on

what do you mean loading choppily

i always watch youtube while having another file open to focus on
the video would skip frames, resulting in the video jumping ahead a few milliseconds visually.

could you atleast tell me if it works on youtube better?
just saying "try waterfox" without any reason really does not help
in my experience at least normal firefox used to lag a ton but waterfox doesnt do that