Any Pet Peeves you have in Movies?

Author Topic: Any Pet Peeves you have in Movies?  (Read 4899 times)

- heavy narration, some in the prologue or epilogue is okay, don't spoon-feed me the story
- excessive gore/love, not necessarily the theme itself, but it's generally a sign of boring hack writers finding "alternative" ways to entertain the audience that don't involve good storytelling
- forced inclusitivity, I don't get off fantasizing about self-inserting myself as the main character, just write sensible loving characters lol

There's a lot wrong with the film industry, if you couldn't tell. I mean, look at the movies they release. They're either reboots, sequels, or just awful. There isn't an in-between.

It's especially bad in music. Temp music has always been a thing, but now directors have this weird hip way of ordering composers around where they're forced to imitate the temp music and make it so you don't even notice it's playing. In other words, you're composing music that someone else made in a way that's not meant to be heard. Y'know, the whole point of music? It results in some of the blandest, most repetitious stuff you've ever heard. Sing a piece from the Marvel cinematic universe. You can't. Not off the top of your head.

I mean, look at this stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIw_YcLnsew
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOXGunV_orE&list=PLFB5A5DF05B2A03DD&index=12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPrdEBPpCXE&list=PLhKm8nrDqVBNrsAoV8sgCsiNEx_IdV22k&index=5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUwszL6J81I <- this is good, I'm proving a point with the next link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTVSKOkotnM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hYXveAr7k0&list=PL_QhLoezkm0VRffCOtS7MBH-dlBQJ2s8Z&index=2

It all sounds like pointless-ass filler and it sucks. ALL of the MCU movies are scored like this. It's because the director is usually a dipstuff when it comes to music and so he'll upload his personal favorite music in as temp and listen to it 1,000 times and get so invested in it that he can't be talked out of it. It's an incestuous relationship, pretty much. The Shining's  soundtrack is better than everything I linked, and that's barely even classifiable as "music".

It's all homogeny, no risk. You'll see one or two films that come out every once in a while that are actually pretty loving decent because everyone looked like they knew what they were doing (Kingsmen) and it knocks everyone's socks off, but then it turns out they were anti-Hollywood and so it gets panned. Don't believe me? Look at the reviews for "The Golden Circle":

Quote from: Sam Adams
[Matthew] Vaughn hasn't only run out of things to say but people to hate, and without that underlying aggression, the movie feels like it's just going through the motions. Better luck next time, bruv.
Quote from: Mary-Ann Johanson
Save us from male artists who think they are dangerously, uniquely innovative. This stew of toxic masculinity and CGI-cartoon violence is nothing but tediously mundane.
Quote from: Tom Shone
My advice to Vaughn: stop now. While there's still time.

50% on Rotten Tomatoes from the critics. That makes it rotten in the eyes of the site. Meanwhile, 70% of people enjoyed it.

That leads me to my next point; there's an establishment in Hollywood. It throws everyone else out, even though most of the time, the outsiders are better. This can apply to politics as much as it can anything. Disney has a habit of controlling the animated film industry, alongside the Shrek people who are only occasionally good and the Minions people who never even try. Outside of those three studios, you'll hear about other animations at say, the Oscars, but you'll never see them, and they'll get artificially eclipsed by Disney anyway. That's what happened with Kubo and the Two Strings. Zootopia is an average movie that won over Kubo, an outstanding movie, by being owned by Disney and for being overtly political. In 2015, Big Hero 6, a bland, boring movie about people you forgot pretty much immediately after leaving the theater, buried one of the most beautiful animations I've ever seen, Song of the Sea. I've maintained that Disney needs an anti-trust suit filed against them considering they have control over pretty much half of the entertainment industry. At least they aren't doing what they did in the past, and re-releasing their old films in theaters to smother out other animated films on their opening weeks.

But yeah. Did you know that there's an underground club for conservatives in Hollywood? That's because of that establishment I mentioned earlier; they're as leftist as it gets. Successful shows get canned because the protagonist is conservative. Look at Last Man Standing with Tim Allen.

Well, at least they're failing. Good. Time for change.

(jeez it's late at night I think I'll look at this again in the morning and see how cringy it is)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 02:21:57 AM by Tactical Nuke »

when theres something going straight for someone and they dont turn left or right
this is the worst thing ever i hate it so much like holy stuff you dont dodge a bullet by going along its trajectory

maybe if tim allen was funny his show wouldn't get cancelled

Being low budget, calling marines soldiers, being unrealistic, yeah. A lot.

when marines are called soldiers
please educate me on the difference, i want to know. not sarcasm fyi i actually wanna know

a soldier is someone in the army

please educate me on the difference, i want to know. not sarcasm fyi i actually wanna know

marines are a specific branch of the army

I have an irrational hatred for this dumb loving CGI zoom-in effect that we've been seeing more of recently. it kills immersion.

does anybody else gets bugged by bad choppy "slow motion" in older movies as much as i do

Most movies that have political commentary tend to be absolutely garbage in my opinion, though its probably a very common opinion considering Hollywood is having its worst attended movie summer season in 25 years

When movies are too cartoony

when theres something going straight for someone and they dont turn left or right
TRUE, like I don't understand why they make character complete loving idiots at that

when characters are blatantly introduced to us by 1 char awkwardly calling them by name first time you see them.

its really weird on established tv shows where they do this first epp of every season. best friends will all  be face to face, addressing each other by name like they just met.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 11:28:31 AM by Bisjac »

marines are a specific branch of the army
Please don't tell me you think that the Marines are a branch of the Army. The Army and the Marines are both separate branches of the United States military, along with the Navy, Air Force, and Coast Guard.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 12:30:40 PM by Blockhead8306 »