Author Topic: is it a good idea to take two college-level math courses at the same time  (Read 412 times)

Right now, I'm scheduling courses for next semester, and since I'm switching from mechanical engineering to electrical engineering, I have a pretty open schedule next year. I was hoping to fill that with requirements for my music composition major, but there seems to be only one course open that I can take, so I've been considering taking the remaining two math courses required by my new major at the same time. For the curious, I'm going to probably talk with the teacher of one of the courses tomorrow. If I don't take the two math courses at the same time, then I'll be underloading credit for next semester, which is not a good idea in a double major.

The two courses are Differential Equations (course description: "Basic methods of solving ordinary differential equations. Systems of linear differential equations, Laplace transform, applications and selected topics.") and Linear Algebra (course description: "Linear equations, matrices, vector spaces, linear transformations, determinants, eigenvalues."). Typically, math courses here have the heaviest load out of any other course, but the other courses I'm taking next semester (minus one maybe) I'm guaranteed are going to be a cakewalk.

I'm going to ask teachers about it, but I wanted to get the opinions of people who might've actually taken courses like this and know what to expect. I don't know if I'm holding the BLF to a standard too high in thinking this, but it can't hurt to ask.

/discuss

yeah im not the best person to take advice from but based off what i know linear algebra seems pretty easy from what i remember from algebra 2 honors. matrices, working with determinants, etc were pretty easy/fun. ive never heard of anything in differential equations, so i cant say much on that.

it probably depends on the combined workload, so if you're ontop of your work it might be a good idea to just knockout both courses
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 01:58:13 AM by Khaz »

differential equations and linear algebra are grouped together as a class at my college, but can also be taken separately
i feel like that makes a good likelihood that you could take them concurrently and do well as long as you focus on both of them
also, if they're really the only two tough classes for a whole semester, all your studying can be math related instead of having to switch between different subjects, another plus
i would say go for it. definitely ask another professor or an advisor, but it sounds like it'd work

DiffEq and Linear Algebra are doable in the same semester. The former will be more difficult, but you'll find that it builds off of stuff that's covered in Linear Algebra. Depending on how the scheduling goes, you may get to stuff like 2nd order linear differential equations before you cover eigenvalues in linear algebra, which means you'll need to learn how to do that to solve those in DiffEq.

Honestly, the main thing I remember needing in DiffEq was solving for eigenvalues and eigenvectors, so if you can teach yourself how to do that, you should be fine.

Your best bet is asking people at your uni who took it but those two seem to be doable together. Then again, I don't go to your uni so I can't tell you anything about those classes.