Are you scared of death? / what do you think comes after death?

Poll

Are you scared of death?

Yes
10 (15.6%)
No
23 (35.9%)
Sort of
31 (48.4%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Author Topic: Are you scared of death? / what do you think comes after death?  (Read 7640 times)

« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 07:01:24 AM by Rally »

nah, it'll happen when it happens and there's probably a 90% chance it'll be outta my control so no point in worrying about it.

I wasn't until I actually started to imagine what the mental processing must be like as you die, in various circumstances. What do you feel and think in a crash? As you're being strangled or mutilated? What's a fatal heart-attack like? Do you ever realise you're dead if you were unconscious as it happens

this. for me, ceasing to be is extremely scary on both an intellectual and emotional level. i'm pretty much just hoping i'll be wiser in 50 years

do you remember the void before you where alive? i dont. that, my nihilistic view, and the fact ive watched/come so close to death so many times that i dont care anymore keeps me from worrying about it

i like to imagine life is like a dream. you die, your brain shuts down, the missing link causes you to regain consciousness in someone new, and then you wake up. its slow at first, and by the time you can consciously start telling people about your dream, you've probably already forgotten it. most people do. but some can remember their dreams clearly for years. explains why theres kids that can vividly recall an entire life they've never lived before

the earliest point in time where i remember contemplating what it's like to die was maybe 4th or 5th grade when one of my best friends said he didn't want to do something risky cuz he's afraid to die. since then i've never feared dying, only physical torment. i've both been through and witnessed several situations where me or someone else was only a hair away from death. not entirely sure how my reaction to the death of a close friend would play out

when i was nonreligious my thoughts were like resonte's; it's like shutting a pc down and destroying the power supply. this never scared me simply because no matter what death felt like it wouldn't matter since you can't dwell on traumatic experiences when you don't exist

now it goes like immediately after death you're sent for judgement and then get either hell or heaven. that said, i believe anyone who prays for a person who recently died is wasting their time, and there's no way for us to contact or view existence in the known universe after death

if i got hit by a bus i'd thank the driver in the afterlife

when i was nonreligious my thoughts were like resonte's; it's like shutting a pc down and destroying the power supply. this never scared me simply because no matter what death felt like it wouldn't matter since you can't dwell on traumatic experiences when you don't exist

now it goes like immediately after death you're sent for judgement and then get either hell or heaven. that said, i believe anyone who prays for a person who recently died is wasting their time, and there's no way for us to contact or view existence in the known universe after death

i feel the same way. there's no use praying for a dead one because it's god's ultimate decision anyways.

I'd like to be able to do what I want to do, but I'm not scared of death. I'm more scared of any pain associated with it. I don't think anything comes after. You're dead so your brain doesn't respond to sensory input. Your synapses which process thought aren't firing. Just like before you were ever born, you process nothing.

ill never die. ill just keep rewinding the life tivo

This is one reason behind my chronophobia.

Of course I'm afraid of death. There is so much to do in life and I don't want death to get to me before my aspirations are achieved.

I would like to imagine the afterlife to be kind of like a roguelike game, where even your character is randomized. Technically we've died before, we just don't remember it.

To be honest the concept of death always frightened me, due to the fact that one day, I won't exist anymore, I try my best to distract my head from thinking of those things, but sometimes before I go to sleep, it gets in my head and I have a really hard time trying to sleep, which is strange, I'm a christian and I should be fine about that since I believe in heaven, but half of me still doubts it and it gets to me sometimes, it sucks man.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 12:38:23 PM by Filipe »

this. for me, ceasing to be is extremely scary on both an intellectual and emotional level. i'm pretty much just hoping i'll be wiser in 50 years

everybody seems to feel a similar way about it but this is something I've never found scary.