What are your thoughts on Micro-Transactions?

Author Topic: What are your thoughts on Micro-Transactions?  (Read 1906 times)

To me, Micro-Transactions are, well, ok, but only if done right. I created this topic because I heard that new Battlefront II game (which I am excited for), will have micro-transactions in it for multiplayer, and i'm honestly kind of worried that I will get killed millions of times by people who pay 2 win. However, I think Micro-Transactions are bad for when you need to progress and beat the game. Candy Crush is literally the most notorious example of this, making levels so ungodly hard that you'd be forced to pay stuff for it. Plants vs. Zombies 2 (Big Wave Beach notably) has zombies in it which are so goddamn annoying (Fisherman Zombie can pull your plants into the water), and not to mention, the world also has water tiles in which regular plants cannot be planted on, so you'd have to place Lily Pads on it (they cost 25 sun). It's so annoying to have to wait 5 seconds every single time to wait for a Lily Pad seed packet to recharge, and usually, if I get 2 rows filled out, a huge horde of zombies is already approaching, some of them will eat all the lily pads I planted, so now i'll have to re-do it, only to get screwed over by Gargantuars. (If you have no idea what i'm talking about in PVZ 2, then i'm sorry, but if you do, good for you).

But what are your thoughts on Micro-Transactions? Do you hate them or just think they are OK?

I don't participate in them, but don't find them to be evil either.

it's pretty gay if it gives you a genuine advantage but otherwise idk still kinda gay but I don't really care if the game's fun

if it's a f2p game then i understand, developers gotta make that money yo.
but when you decide to add microtransactions to a single-player paid game then there's a problem.

P2W microtransactions on PC/Console titles, F2P or not, are just straight up bad. There is no excuse that can be given, stuff like boosters is borderline but microtransactions should be focused around cosmetics, not giving players unobtainable weapons, even if they are balanced right. Even if the weapons or items are balanced, it straight up restricts other people's access to use them. Maybe it has a particular quirk that makes it very efficient for a specific play style and no other achievable weapon can reach that. Balanced or not, the feeling of being killed by a weapon you know you can't ever have unless you pay money is straight up scummish.

I can accept mobile "P2W" because it's in the business model. Most mobile microtransactions, and games furthermore, are designed for people that don't spend multiple hours playing games a day. People don't spend much time overall playing games on mobile, so stuff that limits the amount of plays per day and such limitations are done with that in mind. If you're actively playing mobile games you're better off with straight-up paid mobile games or a dedicated handheld console. The target audience is pretty much always the people that play to pass the time for like less than ten minutes a session.

Now, overall as a business model, it's implementation does not fault on the devs end, but the communities. It's been reported multiple times on multiple games and studies that microtransactions (considered as "player recurring investment" by Ubisoft for example), is straight up (almost) half of the game's income, as players can easily end up paying more than what they paid for the game. That being said, I don't see it as the developers fault for not going with the flow - not including microtransactions is straight up abandoning a potential double in revenue. The issue came with the communities that actively partook in microtransactions and proved that they are a legitimate business model, beyond the mobile model over to PC and Consoles' AAA titles. I believe it's an issue that was not spread because of developers, but because of the masses that suck up to it. It's the same with preordering, Early Access and DLC, no matter how many people say "Stop preordering!" and give all the rational and logical advice in the world, if there are going to be people (and there are) buying them, it's a model that will continue to grow and be used more and more often.

i think league of legends has done it right and i consider myself a "big spender" on there, other than this, i dabbled a bit in cs:go unboxing and it was basically playing the slotmachine but more fun

i think lootboxes like cs:go have now been incredibly overdone

>:(

those are my thoughts

actually

as a game developer
micro transactions are ruining one of my favorite things about videogames
i wish customization was unlocked through completing difficult feats in the videogame, with a variety of difficulty ranging from newbie achievements to notorious achievements

call of duty had some of this in black ops 2, with calling cards. it was INCREDIBLY fun. one of them for example was to get a hail mary with a tomahawk (blindly throwing it across the map hoping it hits an enemy) and when i was in highschool i stayed up day and night grinding all these fun objectives. one of them was having a 10 kill streak with a completely empty class, you only had a knife and had to pick up enemies their weaponry and it was just SO MUCH fun that i havent seen in any video game EVER recently

bit of a rant but i want to bring this back SO BADLY but instead of lame calling cards id love to reward players with entire weapon skins or character attire? just thinking about this gets me excited, im a loving nerd

Micro-transactions in F2P games are understandable and I don't care for them on those games.

But when I pay for a game and you expect me to pay for more content (Not dlc, even tho this is still just as bad too) even after buying them? Pfft hell no, personally I love customization in games, I like trying to look better than my friends or seeing the combinations of outfits or weapon customization they put together. I'd rather get those customization options by playing the games and doing things to earn those options. But when i have to get those weapon or armor customization options through payment it feels stupid as hell, mostly because i wont be the only one running around with it or at least a small number.

Example of this would be something like Black desert online, if you don't buy any of the outfits you see in the store page you will continue to look like you did when you first made your character, I mean if you log in consecutively for a week you get an outfit that you keep for 7 days, like what, that stuffs stupid.

That reason alone is why I like to play world of warcraft a lot and its my favorite mmorpg, because you can customize how you look to a large degree, and you can earn different customization options from just doing quests, dungeons, raids, basically just playing the game.

AAA studios say they need microtransactions to offset costs because $60 a game isn't enough anymore. Well I say forget off and stop spending so much money making the same damn open world bullstuff game three times a year. You'd think when they do it so much they'd be able to just copy paste the assets for 90% of it.

I'm not playing any of the big EA, Activision, or Ubisoft games this season because I don't want to be part of their games-as-a-service behavioral conditioning experiments.

It's a sad state of affairs when a game like Dauntless makes news for not having loot boxes.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 11:40:10 AM by Otis Da HousKat »

never bought any ingame content in my life. closest ive come is buying a couple dlc packs. never really notice any impact on my gaming experience, i don’t play a lot of games competitively besides like overwatch or something.

that being said, microtransactions kill free2play games for me. i hate the entire free to play model, as it basically just comes out to being a more expensive pay-once game if you actually want to enjoy it. id much rather pay a blanket $60 than ever have to play free2play grindy garbage that hides progress behind days of gameplay

i also dislike the high costs for dlc packs, as some of them are more expensive than they should be for the content they offer. example being cod, where a dlc pack costs $15(?) and adds one zombies map. ridic

I'm guilty of buying into the micro on BF1. I'm at the point where I have more money than time right now so I'm happy to drop cash on shortcut packs just to skip the grind.

i bought a beggars bazooka off of the official tf2 in-game store once

cosmetics yes gameplay no