Looking for advice on a good starting handgun for learning & self defense

Author Topic: Looking for advice on a good starting handgun for learning & self defense  (Read 5186 times)

no mention of a Hi-Point 9mm yet? smh
get one in a money print

If you don't have some real experience with guns yet, stick with a .22  Good to learn with, cheaper to practice with than something bigger, won't necessarily deafen you if you should need to shoot it without ear protection.

If you've already got some solid practice in, particularly under stress, go for something a little bigger, a little louder.

But whatever you get, practice, practice, practice.

22 short and long firearms are ideal for self defense and practice. The ammunition costs like 15 cents per bullet (20-30 long rifle) though there was a shortage recently on the latter. If you want to invest a little more, federal sells 22lr bulk, 5000 rounds for $300, which is 16 cents per round

Stopping power isn't actually as important because your goal is to incapacitate the intruder, not kill them. In the end the difference between .38 special and .22 lr is how long it will take the intruder to recover in the hospital, but in an actual firefight they both have the same chance to incapacitate (60%) on chest level or higher

What would really factor into incapacitation chance would be your shot placement, and most .22lr-caliber magazine fed pistols have high capacity and offer more lenience for shot placement than a 6 or 8 shot revolver of the same or larger caliber
do not listen to this advice. you want to be able to stop a person easily with one shot, and .22 caliber just isn't enough unless it has the powder of a rifle cartridge behind it like in an AR platform rifle. .38 caliber or higher should be sufficient, but I would shoot for .45 for self defense. you really don't want the guy bearing down on you to be able to shrug off a single bullet, because one shot might be all you'll get.

do not listen to this advice. you want to be able to stop a person easily with one shot, and .22 caliber just isn't enough unless it has the powder of a rifle cartridge behind it like in an AR platform rifle. .38 caliber or higher should be sufficient, but I would shoot for .45 for self defense. you really don't want the guy bearing down on you to be able to shrug off a single bullet, because one shot might be all you'll get.
i think you're severely underestimating how much a bullet wound hurts

Stopping power isn't actually as important because your goal is to incapacitate the intruder, not kill them.

i don't know about you but i'm going at them with a rocket launcher

i don't know about you but i'm going at them with a rocket launcher
nothing stops the home intruder quite like two fistfuls of molten copper

im sorry but you clearly have no idea how bullets work if you think people can just shrug them off

one shot anywhere except the lower dominant arm is enough to incapacitate any person. They've done extensive tests and proven both .38 and .22lr have a 60% chance to incapacitate someone at first shot. It has nothing to do with the stopping power or a high amount of powder, it's the amount of powder proportion to the weight of the bullet, and in .22lr, there's enough powder to make a clean hole through muscle, bone, lungs, and forehead.

All rounds have around the same capacity to incapacitate; the difference is that of all rounds, .22 long rifle is the cheapest. So it's objectively the best round for any home intrusion situation. It also has virtually no kick so your shot placement will be as good as your aim is

Anyone who suggests a higher caliber either doesn't understand ballistics or just has more money to spend / more muscle in their arm to damage

« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 11:20:46 PM by PhantOS »

a starting pistol to shoot and train with? wow everyone got it wrong.

a cheap pistol that goes bang.

https://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/

Hi-Point's are considered garbage simply because of their ergonomic quality and performance, but they're long lasting and reliable, not nearly as reliable as a Glock or S&W, but good enough to be worth purchasing as a starter pistol and something to train with.

You can get them from .380 to .45. They have manageable recoil and are extremely cheap, however they are very uncomfortable to shoot and their accuracy at a distance is piss poor, but you're looking for a starter gun, not a conceal & carry gun. They're big and bulky too, a little heavy compared to most pistols, but that serves them well, as they can take a beating before actually busting. They're so cheap that even if it does break, you've probably used it enough that it earned your money.

BTW your weak arms don't matter, proper gun etiquette and you'll have no problem firing any pistol common pistol cartridge.

When you feel comfortable and obtain your license to use a Conceal & Carry weapon, there's dozens of useful pistol varieties under different brands. When you reach this point it's more what you feel comfortable with, so get a membership at a gun & range shop where you can try before you buy. Everyone has their opinions and preferences, me included, but it's just something you'll have to figure out for yourself.

PM me if you want more info

Source: I own and have fired several weapons of varying caliber and make. Including the Hi-Point.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 11:39:05 PM by Ceist »

DOUBLEPOST

I looked over the thread again and noticed a lot of people talking about stopping power and different calibers. I want to point out that if you are a civilian looking to obtain a Conceal & Carry weapon, caliber DOES NOT MATTER (unless you care about money). You are a civilian, in the event you have to use your weapon for self-defense, anything from a .22 to a .45 is enough to incapacitate an individual.

You're not a combatant, the chances of you coming across someone wearing loving body armor is zilch. That's even in the rare event you have to draw your weapon.

would you rather have a round that's (almost) guaranteed to incapacitate (or kill), or a round that's guaranteed to incapacitate or kill? idk about you, but I'd rather pay a few extra bucks for a little more insurance

would you rather have a round that's (almost) guaranteed to incapacitate (or kill), or a round that's guaranteed to incapacitate or kill? idk about you, but I'd rather pay a few extra bucks for a little more insurance
This is a matter of your opinion. As stated earlier it was scientifically proven that a basic .22 will incapacitate you. You have to be on some crazy loving drugs or wearing body armor to take a .22 and keep walking.

If you don't believe it, test it on yourself, shoot yourself in the leg with a .22 and go for run.

do you just have a boner for high-powered handguns?

If you don't believe it, test it on yourself, shoot yourself in the leg with a .22 and go for run.

i don't know why i'm laughing at this holy stuff

do you just have a boner for high-powered handguns?
I did not realize 38 special was high power.

this is even more guaranteed to blow someones brains out