Author Topic: Looking for advice on a good starting handgun for learning & self defense  (Read 5179 times)

When tested on ballistic gel, the .38 penetrates through like 6 feet
Are you high?

and expands rapidly (it's a magnum)
Whether or not a bullet expands has nothing to do with being a magnum cartridge, it's based on the shape of the bullet, like hollow points or soft points

Also, .38 special isn't a magnum cartridge, you're thinking of .357 magnum, which is a magnum cartridge based on .38 special.

While there is a large debate about the best caliber for self defense ammunition, price per round shouldn't be a the top (or even any, imo) deciding factor when the ultimate cost is your life.

That's irrelevant tho because OP isn't looking for a self defense gun at the moment, just something to get used to shooting. So I'd say a .22 would be fine for that if she doesn't have a problem buying multiple guns for different purposes

http://www.waltherarms.com/handguns/pk380/
The picture is even of an old lady operating it. Should be smooth sailing.

Plus it's small, and from experience, it isn't too bad to clean.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 11:03:04 AM by Taciturn »

Applied for my CCW license a little while ago. I've been looking a lot at the Glock 40s. Its a .45ACP in a small, lightweight package.

ngl some of you got me seriously considering a 4.2 sp101 as a self-bought birthday present