sideswipes hopeless blockland car-related project #3: Need for Speed: Blockland

Author Topic: sideswipes hopeless blockland car-related project #3: Need for Speed: Blockland  (Read 4109 times)

not actually official so dont tell ea
also yes i know blockland's actual logo doesn't use a gradient but i'm too lazy to actually make that shine effect so live with this for now

discord
not anymore boys

what
this is a server based/inspired on games from Need for Speed's golden age (underground 2, OG most wanted, carbon).

currently you can:

- buy a car (after i cheat in some money for you, you cant earn money yet)
- customize your car's CVS/VEH parts, wheels/tyres, and suspension
- drive your cars obviously on a tiny map
- race for a quarter mile (new!)

planned features:

- race and earn money from races (racing has been implemented basically!)
- a GUI instead of garages (probably not but maybe if it gets big)
- more than 7 garages
- crew/group system
- big(ger) map
- cops
- some way to save what garage a player was in before they left the game (currently they are individual slayer teams, but don't save when you leave and rejoin iirc)

why
there don't seem to be any real driving servers that exist right now and twice i've tried to fill that gap with realistic track racing but it's never worked out.
this more arcadey and nostalgic approach should help appeal to a wider audience and hopefully it'll get off the ground this time.

contributors
me (Sideswipe) (45857) (eventing, building, administration)
toille07 (39151) (building)

car list (31 cars)
Tier 1 (13 cars) - Brent Aero, Dalton Clover, Torino Euro Turbo, Brent Cronus, Volks Club GTI, Dalton Miami, Dalton Capital, Dalton Buggy, Nakata Hydric, Block Bochum, Nakata 86, Shinozaki Spirit, Nakata Venom, Torino Citi
Tier 2 (9 cars) - Aurore Lozere, Dalton Evasion, Dalton Dominator, Brent Cronus Drift, Nakata Hydric Drift, Rampanti Hyperion, Aurore Veloce, Nakata Venom Drift, Dalton Shark
Tier 3 (5 cars) - Boston Bullrout Drag, Rampanti Hyperion SV, Aurore Veloce RS, Fierra Rosso, Fierra Impavido
Classic (2 cars) - Boston SEMI Bullrout, Dalton Lowrider
SUV (3 cars) - Bengs Gunloader, Dalton Rodeo (SUV), Dalton Rodeo (Pickup)

planned cars, all unreleased right now:

- (Unknown Toyota-ish brand, old version is NHM) Reaper (when it gets remade)
- Dalton Avenger
- New Trackmania cars
- Rampanti Hyperion
- Puma GTB? (it's a real car so it may not be added)

planned cop system:

first of all you need to have helped with the server to be a cop (administrator, builder, eventer, whatever)
there are 5 cop garages, and cops have a couple cop cars to choose from (all free) which have the same performance as racer cars
currently idk how to make a busted system like in nfs but it'll work like in most nfs games (if you get cornered by cops you are "busted")
cops have to have initiated a chase with a player to actually start chasing them
this will probably be a really simple addon that chats to the mingame "(cop)" is now in a police chase with (victim)." when the cop does /doChase (victim) and chat to the minigame "(cop) has lost (victim)." when the cop does /endChase. it'll also chat to the minigame "(cop) has caught (victim)!" when the victim is busted. when a racer is busted they return to their garage.
my other choice instead of a busted system i might use is just giving cops a gun and letting them try to kill the racer with the gun which will take them back to their garage, but the racer will lose all their money
there are also safehouses around the map that cops are not allowed to enter and will keep racers safe from cops, but you cannot buy cars in a safehouse
you are also 100% safe in your garage

please if you have any hope for this at least give some ideas or help out because this is probably my best server idea yet and is way more easy to do than BVRC or BRL

join the server if you want to help, should be online mostly every day but maybe not on weekends, the minigame is disabled so you can't operate the vehicle spawners right now, i want to focus on map building

there is no schedule

server name is Sideswipe's NFS:BL [WIP]
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 12:22:34 AM by Sideswipe »

If I have time I can help u with the map
Because this is awesome
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 03:02:53 AM by c[_] »

speedkart but with actual fullsize cars
this is gonna be a living hell to play

speedkart but with actual fullsize cars
this is gonna be a living hell to play
did you even read the op?

we now have a GOD DAMN discord for no reason
https://discord.gg/XbCX9Vf

- customize your car's CVS/VEH parts, wheels/tyres, and suspension
customize tires, and suspension? have you heard of the infamous "Invalid packet WheeledVehicle::unpackUpdate()" that has some relation to do with the customizable suspension and tires? you've got to be seriously careful if you added customizable tires and suspension, that makes a recipe for an error to pop up at any time and to anybody that plays (heard that this only affected cars with CVS in the past)
there don't seem to be any real driving servers that exist right now and twice i've tried to fill that gap with realistic track racing but it's never worked out.
see, the problem is that you are looking for realism

and the problem is that blockland is not a racing simulator, and can never be because of the physics and the slow vehicle updates sent to our clients which makes it hard to tell if we're in for a collision course or not
this is probably my best server idea yet and is way more easy to do than BVRC or BRL
this in my opinion does not look any easier than doing BVRC or BRL, this looks even harder with all that work and development hell you will be in if you were to take all those features in check
Tier 1 (13 cars) - Brent Aero, Dalton Clover, Torino Euro Turbo, Brent Cronus, Volks Club GTI, Dalton Miami, Dalton Capital, Dalton Buggy, Nakata Hydric, Block Bochum, Nakata 86, Shinozaki Spirit, Nakata Venom, Torino Citi
Tier 2 (8 cars) - Aurore Lozere, Dalton Evasion, Dalton Dominator, Brent Cronus Drift, Nakata Hydric Drift, Rampanti Hyperion, Aurore Veloce, Nakata Venom Drift
Tier 3 (5 cars) - Boston Bullrout Drag, Rampanti Hyperion SV, Aurore Veloce RS, Fierra Rosso, Fierra Impavido
Classic (2 cars) - Boston SEMI Bullrout, Dalton Lowrider
SUV (3 cars) - Bengs Gunloader, Dalton Rodeo (SUV), Dalton Rodeo (Pickup)
that is a lot of vehicles.. are you completely sure that they would have many suspension options to choose from? because each one of them are definitely going to have different settings for their suspensions to be customized and then,  you're going to end up using a stuff ton of datablocks! may i mention that you can't modify one single suspension datablock because all the other existing vehicles that use the same suspension datablock would take the same changes too? (if you didn't know)

while customizable is definitely a good idea, its too overly ambitious and requires inefficient usage of datablocks to get the idea through (although, you could set limits on how customizable the suspension is going to be)
please if you have any hope for this at least give some ideas or help out
you did not mention working police lights in the planned cop system, i guess you could add that without the annoying siren noise

seriously though, its too overly ambitious but i'm not trying to be a downer either... you could at least simplify or remove a feature to make this less of a hassle to be completed

The only thing worse than racing in blockland is dogfighting.... So at least you're working with something slightly better than the worst controlling vehicle imaginable

Take my advice: don't do this. I normally don't shoot down people's projects but this is too ambitious for what blockland offers as a game engine. It's obvious that you are fond of cars, and there's nothing wrong with that, but it seems like you're making this out of obsession. Do what Filipe did- switch to a different engine that offers better controls and physics altogether, that way your four-wheeled dream may be realized in full glory, not half, soap slidey car bouncing mediocrity

Don't take this personally, it's not your fault that blockland is garbage. There's too many limitations and you can't work around them all and still have a cohesive fast-paced racing gamemode.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 07:15:56 AM by PhantOS »

customize tires, and suspension? have you heard of the infamous "Invalid packet WheeledVehicle::unpackUpdate()" that has some relation to do with the customizable suspension and tires? (1) you've got to be seriously careful if you added customizable tires and suspension, that makes a recipe for an error to pop up at any time and to anybody that plays (heard that this only affected cars with CVS in the past)

see, the problem is that you are looking for realism (2)

and the problem is that blockland is not a racing simulator, and can never be because of the physics and the slow vehicle updates sent to our clients which makes it hard to tell if we're in for a collision course or notthis in my opinion does not look any easier than doing BVRC or BRL, this looks even harder with all that work and development hell you will be in if you were to take all those features in checkthat is a lot of vehicles.. are you completely sure that they would have many suspension options to choose from? because each one of them are definitely going to have different settings for their suspensions to be customized and then,  you're going to end up using a stuff ton of datablocks! may i mention that you can't modify one single suspension datablock because all the other existing vehicles that use the same suspension datablock would take the same changes too? (if you didn't know)

while customizable is definitely a good idea, its too overly ambitious and requires inefficient usage of datablocks to get the idea through (although, you could set limits on how customizable the suspension is going to be)you did not mention working police lights in the planned cop system, i guess you could add that without the annoying siren noise (3)

seriously though, its too overly ambitious but i'm not trying to be a downer either... you could at least simplify or remove a feature to make this less of a hassle to be completed

1: since i am using an event addon that changes wheels and suspension there is no way it would cause this error or else it would be failbinned

2: no i'm not, if you even paid one little bit of attention you would realize that i'm talking about BRM and BVRC, this project instead focuses more on customization than realism

The only thing worse than racing in blockland is dogfighting.... So at least you're working with something slightly better than the worst controlling vehicle imaginable

Take my advice: don't do this. I normally don't shoot down people's projects but this is too ambitious for what blockland offers as a game engine. It's obvious that you are fond of cars, and there's nothing wrong with that, but it seems like you're making this out of obsession. Do what Filipe did- switch to a different engine that offers better controls and physics altogether, that way your four-wheeled dream may be realized in full glory, not half, soap slidey car bouncing mediocrity

Don't take this personally, it's not your fault that blockland is garbage. There's too many limitations and you can't work around them all and still have a cohesive fast-paced racing gamemode.

yeah except i am modifying all the handling files myself to make sure the vehicles are controllable and drive at least remotely like what it would in an arcade racing game
this more arcadey and nostalgic approach should help appeal to a wider audience and hopefully it'll get off the ground this time.

each one of them are definitely going to have different settings for their suspensions to be customized and then,  you're going to end up using a stuff ton of datablocks
springs can be used on more than one vehicle

and it's a vehicle server. unless there's thousands of springs, this isn't a problem.

Do what Filipe did
make all the assets yourself
and play alone

soap slidey
easily fixed

car bouncing
depends on the build, but easily reduced

mediocrity

subjective.

There's too many limitations and you can't work around them all and still have a cohesive fast-paced racing gamemode.
maybe you can't.

and maybe nobody can.

but blockland is great for getting halfway to something cool, having fun with it, and appreciating what you learned in the process.

I'm all for warning against getting too excited to make something perfect, but saying it shouldn't even be attempted is Not Cool
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 09:20:17 PM by Teneksi »

but saying it shouldn't even be attempted is Not Cool™
ftfy

you shouldnt make it all based around only 1 thing like nfs
it should be a new thing if you keep it nfs based
it will probably restrict you from alot of cool ideas you have in that brain of yours just by the fact "its nfs themed not my own idea boyo"
and youll be restricted even MORE if you decide to do something that doesnt fit at all based on the "nfs style"
and youll have to trash the idea and all that work will be for nothing
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 11:18:54 PM by yehellis3246 »

and youll have to trash the idea and all that work will be for nothing
or he could just rename it, or accept the fact that it wasn't going to be exactly like NFS to begin with, or even keep in mind that NFS isn't restricted to an exact set of ideas across every game.

you seem to have a weird thing with names or labels, like how you lost interest in nighthawk's obviously-a-camaro because it has a badge that is reminiscent of the badge on the other two door '80s General Motors sports wedge that you don't like and now you're just done with the whole car

just put a different name on it.

people like you are the reason I started calling vehicles things like Emperor and Vanhammer instead of DeVille and Vandura.
but I thought you were hypothetical.

1: since i am using an event addon that changes wheels and suspension there is no way it would cause this error or else it would be failbinned
ok great, at least you've gotten a better alternative other than CVS
2: no i'm not, if you even paid one little bit of attention you would realize that i'm talking about BRM and BVRC, this project instead focuses more on customization than realism
i was referring to your previous attempts that were not going to work, it was because of your aim of realism (sorry if i hadn't put that reference note somewhere in my previous post)

that was what i was trying to point out, to avoid using realism in your project
springs can be used on more than one vehicle

and it's a vehicle server. unless there's thousands of springs, this isn't a problem.
i know that, i may have failed phrasing that properly... apologies

the 2nd part is where i wanted my thoughts to be understood, this is exactly what i thought and what i feared of
easily fixed
when we have a stuff ton of people that can't handle grippy cars like a jeep with higher top speeds and more sensitivity akin to a Porscherrari in corners, i don't think its easy enough to call it 'easily fixed' when there are people that can't drive cars like that

then there would be stupid suggestions like a 'easy mode' whereas all cars are made in such a way that they lack grip and understeer to hell, just to cater to the ridiculous amount of people that cant drive a proper car
depends on the build, but easily reduced
that leads me to think; was there anyone that had ever used bodyRestitution to assist in reducing bouciness of most vehicles?

I don't think more than one difficulty level in a racing game is bad at all. It's certainly a balancing issue, but one I've seen addressed since Mario Kart on SNES.

Also, I thought slippery, understeering cars were the ones perceived as difficult to use. I'm so confused.

If the hitbox is bouncing off bricks, you've already lost (unless it's a situation like freestyle buggy + modter)

also no real car behaves like a jeep. not even F1 cars have that level of grip

there is no vehicle where you can be traveling at top speed and just slam the wheel to full lock and the car turns on a dime and kills you
at no point in our previous disagreements have I realized you thought that cars which could slide were the "easy alternative" to cars that instantly go wherever you point them.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 10:31:57 AM by Teneksi »