Need help making an important life decision

Author Topic: Need help making an important life decision  (Read 1305 times)

Today my dad came home and told me that one of the customers at his work (an autopart warehouse basically) who is a mechanic offered to teach me how to work on cars. The reason I need help deciding is because I don't know if this is what I want to do with life. I enjoy cars, however whenever my dad used to work on ours I usually found something else to do. Some people might think "well if you don't like it don't do it" but I've been out of school for almost two years now and still don't have a job, it's starting to take a mental toll on me.

TL;DR need job and could become a mechanic, enjoy cars but unsure if working on them is my thing

take and learn any skill you can get. a diverse skillset is wildly useful

if you’ve been out of school for two years and haven’t found something to do with yourself yet, probably a good idea to start exploring your options. im sure your parents don’t want you living off then forever

take the job and if you don't like it, don't stick with it. it'll wind up being a good thing to stick on your future resumes though

It sounds like there's literally no downside except a bit of wasted time if this doesn't work out.

take the job and if you don't like it, don't stick with it. it'll wind up being a good thing to stick on your future resumes though
Idk if he'll hire me but if I learn this I could probably find somewhere else to work

working on cars isnt something you can only do as a job
i know a decent amount about them and ive saved tons of money in labor costs doing work myself

even if you don't want to be a mechanic, you'll have those skills all through life. save so much money repairing your vehicles.

Tell him that you'll take the offer just to test the waters but aren't sure if you wanna pull through with it.

It sounds like there's literally no downside except a bit of wasted time if this doesn't work out.
get the skill even if you don't end up making a profession out of it
you'll thank yourself later if it doesn't work out immediately and you'll be able to get into that line of work

even if you don't want to be a mechanic, you'll have those skills all through life. save so much money repairing your vehicles.

working on cars isnt something you can only do as a job
i know a decent amount about them and ive saved tons of money in labor costs doing work myself
this

go for it

any job that isn't working at mcdonald's or the supermarket is a good job go to take

go for it

any job that isn't working at mcdonald's or the supermarket is a good job go to take
yeah a mechanic is better than a wageslave retail person honestly. may be harder work but you have actual potential to make money. if you do figure out what you are interested in working as, you can also save money to go back to school comparatively easier.

as others have said, theres pretty much no downside. if this isnt the job for you in the long run, you’ll figure it out down the line, and if you do leave you’ll leave with more money and a skill you can use in life

No reason not to honestly. Even if you dont want to do it forever.