Net neutrality shenanigins are happening.

Author Topic: Net neutrality shenanigins are happening.  (Read 37472 times)

kidalex's input is funnier than red spy's posts so he's more objectively useful lets not kid ourselves
i have thrown smoke on the target and i have an airstrike inbound

this sucks but some of yall gotta chill nn didn't even exist until 2015

ill lean onto this

ill lean onto this

2005 – North Carolina ISP Madison River Communications blocked VoIP service Vonage.

2005 – Comcast blocked or severely delayed traffic using the BitTorrent file-sharing protocol. (The company even had the guts to deny this for months until evidence was presented by the Associated Press.)

2007 – AT&T censored Pearl Jam because lead singer criticized President Bush.

2007 to 2009 – AT&T forced Apple to block Skype because it didn’t like the competition. At the time, the carrier had exclusive rights to sell the iPhone and even then the net neutrality advocates were pushing the government to protect online consumers, over 5 years before these rules were actually passed.

2009 – Google Voice app faced similar issues from ISPs, including AT&T on iPhone.

2010 – Windstream Communications, a DSL provider, started hijacking search results made using Google toolbar. It consistently redirected users to Windstream’s own search engine and results.

2011 – MetroPCS, one of the top-five wireless carriers at the time, announced plans to block streaming services over its 4G network from everyone except YouTube.

2011 to 2013 – AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon blocked Google Wallet in favor of CIA, a mobile payment system in which all three had shares. Verizon even asked Google to not include its payment app in its Nexus devices.

2012 – AT&T blocked FaceTime; again because the company didn’t like the competition.

2012 – Verizon started blocking people from using tethering apps on their phones that enabled consumers to avoid the company’s $20 tethering fee.

2014 – AT&T announced a new “sponsored data” scheme, offering content creators a way to buy their way around the data caps that AT&T imposes on its subscribers.

2014 – Netflix started paying Verizon and Comcast to “improve streaming service for consumers.”

2014 – T-Mobile was accused of using data caps to manipulate online competition.

Yeah, Net Neutrality definitely didn't fix any standing issues.

"everyone is an idiot except me" in more concise words

Nobody needs or wants your take on the situation

who says i'm not an idiot

2005 – North Carolina ISP Madison River Communications blocked VoIP service Vonage.

2005 – Comcast blocked or severely delayed traffic using the BitTorrent file-sharing protocol. (The company even had the guts to deny this for months until evidence was presented by the Associated Press.)

2007 – AT&T censored Pearl Jam because lead singer criticized President Bush.

2007 to 2009 – AT&T forced Apple to block Skype because it didn’t like the competition. At the time, the carrier had exclusive rights to sell the iPhone and even then the net neutrality advocates were pushing the government to protect online consumers, over 5 years before these rules were actually passed.

2009 – Google Voice app faced similar issues from ISPs, including AT&T on iPhone.

2010 – Windstream Communications, a DSL provider, started hijacking search results made using Google toolbar. It consistently redirected users to Windstream’s own search engine and results.

2011 – MetroPCS, one of the top-five wireless carriers at the time, announced plans to block streaming services over its 4G network from everyone except YouTube.

2011 to 2013 – AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon blocked Google Wallet in favor of CIA, a mobile payment system in which all three had shares. Verizon even asked Google to not include its payment app in its Nexus devices.

2012 – AT&T blocked FaceTime; again because the company didn’t like the competition.

2012 – Verizon started blocking people from using tethering apps on their phones that enabled consumers to avoid the company’s $20 tethering fee.

2014 – AT&T announced a new “sponsored data” scheme, offering content creators a way to buy their way around the data caps that AT&T imposes on its subscribers.

2014 – Netflix started paying Verizon and Comcast to “improve streaming service for consumers.”

2014 – T-Mobile was accused of using data caps to manipulate online competition.

thats only 13 times thats not that many

thats only 13 times thats not that many

That's not the whole loving list.

That's not the whole loving list.
then you may as well give me more instead of some stuffty list

more-so leaning on "you need to chill" thing not at his second point

False, Verizon sued the FCC to remove net neutrality rules in 2011, and the judgement was laid in 2014. Net Neutrality was then re-implemented to make sure the internet was kept open and free. Though I don't blame you for not knowing, I didn't either until today.

All but 3 of those violations you see above in pecon's post were done with them thinking that* Net Neutrality was a thing. Imagine what they'll do when they know it isn't a thing.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 03:47:42 PM by Ipquarx »

i don't think anybody here that isn't a goon is saying net neutrality being gone is a good thing, but don't you think with multiple states suing and that bill introduced to congress that would disallow the FCC from having complete control over this sort of thing would mean we're probably going to get something similar to net neutrality fairly soon

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/12/16767244/john-thune-asks-for-work-on-net-neutrality-legislation

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/pazkyv/congress-bill-save-net-neutrality-vote

i would imagine if even republicans are in favor of keeping net neutrality we'll get something similar sooner or later

i would imagine if even republicans are in favor of keeping net neutrality we'll get something similar sooner or later

master matthew is living proof i think

Well, it has been a good ride with you my fellow blocky friends. If NN stays then this goodbye will be empty, but if NN is removed then this is a legit goodbye. 2016-7 were rough years.