Weird-ass problem with new computer and world of warcraft

Author Topic: Weird-ass problem with new computer and world of warcraft  (Read 3352 times)

system specs:
intel i5-7600k
16gb corsair ram
msi z270 gaming plus
gigabyte gtx 1080 g1

i got this computer like 2 weeks ago and i've only been having problems with world of warcraft so far
whenever i attempt to close out of world of warcraft then i get these weird-ass green artifacts all over my screen, the computer crashes, and a red light with GPU shows up on this ez debug led thing on my motherboard and persists until i restart the computer. the screen goes black and doesn't recover. this only happens with world of warcraft. it may happen with other intensive games but i'm not sure yet because i have a max 180 kilobytes/s download speed and i can't exactly download 10gb of data in a day.
i've reinstalled windows and all of my programs but the problem persists. i've also updated all (or most of) my drivers several times and the issue hasn't resolved itself. i'm able to play wow just fine until i attempt to close the game. i've checked the temps on the gpu and they range from 50-60 c when i'm playing

ex of artifacts:

what the forget do i do? i don't have 600 dollars to replace the card and i'm not even sure if that's the problem. i can play any other game just fine

its a sign you shouldnt play stuffty games

blizzard probably has a support forum, ask there

also this problem sometimes happens when entering a new area or doing something like teleporting to a dungeon
my latest crash/freeze/artifacting was when i decided to jump off of the starting area for demon hunters because my ping had become 2000ms and i was afraid the game was gonna crash when i attempted to close it
right when i hit the death plane the hang happened

also more info: sometimes this crash will happen when attempting to even take away focus from world of warcraft
sometimes if i hit the windows key or control alt delete my system will hang and crash

blizzard probably has a support forum, ask there
unfortunately i can hardly ever connect to the battle.net forums or store
don't know why. i can connect to literally everything else under the sun but the blizzard forums and store will not load no matter what i do

Try to undervolt and or downclock your video card. Or if it's overclocked, disable the overclock.

More than likely though by the looks of it, your video card may be toast. Fill out an RMA form if you can to get a new one shipped to you.

Try to undervolt and or downclock your video card. Or if it's overclocked, disable the overclock.
the card isn't overclocked but how do i undervolt it? i have the aorus utility for the thing but i've only changed the leds with it

More than likely though by the looks of it, your video card may be toast. Fill out an RMA form if you can to get a new one shipped to you.
i've been able to play wow for 2+ hours at a time on this card but the crash is unrelated to time. the artifacting isn't alongside more frames. it hangs on a single frame with the artifacts and also does a sound loop buzzing thing
and again: all of the other games that i play work, including wow, but my computer only crashes when i attempt to close wow
you sure the card is dying?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 11:49:44 PM by Daswiruch »

the card isn't overclocked but how do i undervolt it? i have the aorus utility for the thing but i've only changed the leds with it

MSI afterburner has voltage control iirc

wtfff forget off the music in wow is better than blockland as a game

I had this artifact problem with my old GTX 560 Ti several times over its lifespan. Here's what caused it:

• Drivers were out of date/bad (I might have rolled-back, can't remember)
  • Power cable to my motherboard/GPU was loose (unplugged and replugged it)
  • Card overheated (cleaned out my fans and case)
  • VRAM finally died and artifacts started coming whenever I played games (replaced card with 1070)

Try the first 3 things, and then if that doesn't work, RMA that stuff.

im about to try those things but here's some info: i'm not getting artifacting while i'm playing wow. i only get artifacts when it hangs on the single frame and then my computer restarts. it's like it drops to 1 frame per year and then restarts itself with the green stuff. the green stuff is not there during gameplay.

Wow, some really loving great help here you guys.

I usually experienced this when my 260 was kicking the bucket and only once while playing Overwatch and my PC overheated. It's a hardware thing, and if it happens often you need to return it and get a new one.

im gonna return the card and get a different brand one if some settings changes don't fix the problem
thanks to all the ones who helped