Author Topic: Thoughts on Crown's CityRPG?  (Read 5665 times)

oh sht microtransactions
thats some serious buisness we have here.

inb4 EA
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 05:02:43 PM by Sylvanor »

How many days did it take you to reach grocer? You need $250 for the education plus $200 just to become the job. I imagine you slaved pretty hard with that axe.
idk like an hour maybe, civilian has a base pay of 25$ on top of the money recieved from labour

Been playing for about two days now and i've been getting tired of what the server is turning into; and it's the same problem that's ruined every city rpg before it as well: the game eventually devolves into a free-for-all deathmatch, with everyone running around with sniper rifles and shotguns slaughtering. the admins aren't doing their job half the time and let stuff slide that should've been dealt with, and the other half of the time they ban people for either reasons that aren't in the rules or they actively break their own rules while feigning the moral high ground. it's disappointing, but i didn't expect much else to begin with.

all in all, i can't really recommend this server. the admin team is corrupt and they all have their own distorted interpretation of the rules. Crown rarely manages his own server. I even witnessed a mass deathmatch going on in the bank earlier today and crown was just waltzing around in the street not giving a stuff that his rules were actively being broken (killing people in the spawn bank for any reason is an offense according to the rules). the offenders went away scot-free and some cops who even tried to stop it by arresting the shooters got banned for "spawn-arresting". pretty messed up.

if the server was to be improved, they'd need to greatly discourage the deathmatch atmosphere that emerges once people start accumulating considerable wealth. i know this is a huge problem because the number of players with criminal records on the server far outweighs the number of clean-record law-abiding citizens. currently the rules regarding criminals, arrests and demerits all heavily favor criminals, and make it difficult for police to do their job. it's incredibly easy to just pick up a gun and go on a shotoing spree with few repercussions, and the jail times are incredibly short. IMO the best way to solve the deathmatch problem is to severely discourage crime by increasing the severity of punishments. jail times should be tenfold of what they are now and bail costs should be realistically high to suit the crime (eg. $5k to bail out of jail for committing murder, with a sentence time of 5 ticks for each murder). if this was done i think it'd help make the gamemode an actual city rpg and not just a "detroit deathmatch".

another big problem i've found is the lack of builds, which is a direct result of the fact that the gamemode actively discourages city building mechanics. players not only have to pay "access packages" to plant bricks, but they can only plant a certain amount until they have to pay actual IRL money donations to the server to gain VIP status in order to keep building (the build brick limit per player is rather low). to make matters worse, any lots you own you have to pay taxes on, which makes it expensive and often unsustainable for people to build. most players simply dont bother building anything at all because the costs are so high. it's really sad. the server gets between 20-40 people at any given time all day yet there is virtually 0 city growth.

tl;dr the server's gamemode mechanics heavily encourage players to regress to simply deathmatching, whilst heavily discouraging city building, and the admin team is very disorganized
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 10:53:23 PM by Planr »

this server sucks

but i still played it a lot

it sucks though

same old cityrpg same old flaws
also forget the xp system

I never played cityrpg's back in the day, but this one is ok. When there are a lot of people it can be really fun for me. I also actually like the gui. money is slow though, you really have to grind for it.

Been playing for about two days now and i've been getting tired of what the server is turning into; and it's the same problem that's ruined every city rpg before it as well: the game eventually devolves into a free-for-all deathmatch, with everyone running around with sniper rifles and shotguns slaughtering. the admins aren't doing their job half the time and let stuff slide that should've been dealt with, and the other half of the time they ban people for either reasons that aren't in the rules or they actively break their own rules while feigning the moral high ground. it's disappointing, but i didn't expect much else to begin with.

all in all, i can't really recommend this server. the admin team is corrupt and they all have their own distorted interpretation of the rules. Crown rarely manages his own server. I even witnessed a mass deathmatch going on in the bank earlier today and crown was just waltzing around in the street not giving a stuff that his rules were actively being broken (killing people in the spawn bank for any reason is an offense according to the rules). the offenders went away scot-free and some cops who even tried to stop it by arresting the shooters got banned for "spawn-arresting". pretty messed up.

if the server was to be improved, they'd need to greatly discourage the deathmatch atmosphere that emerges once people start accumulating considerable wealth. i know this is a huge problem because the number of players with criminal records on the server far outweighs the number of clean-record law-abiding citizens. currently the rules regarding criminals, arrests and demerits all heavily favor criminals, and make it difficult for police to do their job. it's incredibly easy to just pick up a gun and go on a shotoing spree with few repercussions, and the jail times are incredibly short. IMO the best way to solve the deathmatch problem is to severely discourage crime by increasing the severity of punishments. jail times should be tenfold of what they are now and bail costs should be realistically high to suit the crime (eg. $5k to bail out of jail for committing murder, with a sentence time of 5 ticks for each murder). if this was done i think it'd help make the gamemode an actual city rpg and not just a "detroit deathmatch".

another big problem i've found is the lack of builds, which is a direct result of the fact that the gamemode actively discourages city building mechanics. players not only have to pay "access packages" to plant bricks, but they can only plant a certain amount until they have to pay actual IRL money donations to the server to gain VIP status in order to keep building (the build brick limit per player is rather low). to make matters worse, any lots you own you have to pay taxes on, which makes it expensive and often unsustainable for people to build. most players simply dont bother building anything at all because the costs are so high. it's really sad. the server gets between 20-40 people at any given time all day yet there is virtually 0 city growth.

tl;dr the server's gamemode mechanics heavily encourage players to regress to simply deathmatching, whilst heavily discouraging city building, and the admin team is very disorganized
I am sorry that you do not like our staff, I am an SA on the server, if no one does anything about a bad situation please report it to me!

Discord/Steam is highly recommended

On the other hand the mod is by Wicked. Crown did not want to host the server for too long, which explains why some bugs are not fixed immediately.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 06:17:31 PM by Kyuande »

all cityrpgs are bad by default

all cityrpgs are bad by default
I wish someone would make a topic on how a cityrpg should be.

I wrote this a couple years back: http://bit.ly/2BMbJd4

I wrote this a couple years back: http://bit.ly/2BMbJd4

I've been working on a project of my own called LifeRP
https://github.com/piber20/Blockland-LifeRP

It's nowhere near finished, and I haven't touched it in a while, but it already solves a few issues I've had with cityrpg.

it's not as good as brickadia, no missile silo

fun to play, a hassle to administrate especially with the outdated and slightly ambiguous in places rules.
If it was going to be hosted long term (which I know it won't) then it would most definitely need changes.

it's not as good as brickadia, no missile silo

Gut.

And no random animals from ANT
(Having ANT building you an animal is more than a privilege)

the bad thing about cityrpgs are that people are allowed to build

and people build stuff