(video) Why every game needs Bots

Author Topic: (video) Why every game needs Bots  (Read 5489 times)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgc-p79L2cE

as someone who's played probably thousands of pseudo-multiplayer matches over at least half of my whole life at this point i feel this video made by 2kliksphilip speaks to me.
i love playing with and against bots. unfortunately it can be a rarity to see them be a thing in more recent games, but it might be understandable with online multiplayer becoming much simpler to start playing on and more people playing because of this.

a game i'd like to make a good example of its bots is Section 8: Prejudice. there's a good amount of things to do in a game such as that, a battlefield-like thingy with side-objectives showing up every now and then that could turn the tide of the battle. they can skydive, jetpack, and drive to and from anywhere u can. they can use all of the equipment u can unlock and can build and use anything u can too. granted they're not perfect, it's hard to make human-like bots, but they're not bad either.

that game has been dead for a good long while, but lives on for me through the offline-play. heck i've enjoyed it so much i figured out how to play with up to 63 bots instead of just 31 through editing an ini file since 64-player dedicated servers were a thing, and it is an amazing experience. it feels like i'm in a war with this many of them running around doing whatever objective they wish to do at that point.

but anyways enough of me gushing about that game in particular, but i mention it because i got that game due to me finding out it had bot support. if it didn't, i wouldn't have ever touched it, which would've been a shame knowing how much fun i still have with the bots. today, not having bot support is still usually a deal-breaker for me. sometimes i can't help but think about how much fun i would have with certain games if only they would have them.

so what do u guys think about this? do any of u feel the same way, or do u at least agree somewhat that having bots in certain multiplayer games is generally a good idea? or do u think it's just a waste of time nowadays?

also sry it's been a while since i've made a thread, is this too cluttered to read or is it fine? the important part is the video itself anyway tho
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 11:44:20 PM by gr8dayseth »

sometimes i just dont wanna play with people

I feel like in certain situations bots and players in the same match make the game better than if it was just pvp. Titanfall did this well.

I like bots cause they can be programmed to do anything you want with some simple server commands

hell I actually remember making a zombie survival mode for tf2 using the old spawn zombie commands (now replaced with spawn skeletons for some reason)

playing with bots let me feel as if im doing real good in a game until i head into online multiplayer

also sry it's been a while since i've made a thread, is this too cluttered to read or is it fine? the important part is the video itself anyway tho
you made a good thread sethy. I couldn't agree more, I love bots. I don't always like playing against real people because (1) sometimes I suck and (2) sometimes my wifi is stuff/my computer is stuff and I can't run the game very smoothly. bots are great tbh

Bots don't tell you to kys from time to time

Playing with bots is also a great way to practice before you get online, atleast that works for me.

bots are pretty fun to play with when you dont feel like playing with real people, want to practice, etc. they also can have a personality - for example, in quake 3, bots can actually have conversations with you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKWrbpehhhc

in quake live bots will have quips when you kil lthem or when they kill you depending on what character you chose them to be

The bots in Unreal Gold are really good

i dont like playing with bots because it makes me feel super lonely but i can understand his point of view

Playing with bots is also a great way to practice before you get online, atleast that works for me.