Author Topic: RogueType - An in-browser roguelike game (v2.1.3)  (Read 12239 times)

RogueType is a browser-based roguelike game created by yours truly, and features original music by Jazz Cat. The only system requirements are an ES6-compatible web browser, keyboard, and preferably a widescreen display. This game is 'finished' in the sense that it can be fully played through and is beatable, but in reality it's still pretty far from complete. After playing for a bit, scroll down and read about the additional features I plan to implement. I do not plan to make any money from this project, it's just for fun.

Out of both laziness and an odd desire to make my own map for the game, I opted to not use random map generation. However, most elements of the game are still randomized (e.g. potions, weapons, item drops, combat rolls...). Custom maps can be created manually through a relatively simple text file, and the game readily supports loading third party maps simply by entering the url of the map. Custom maps you've loaded will even persist in the drop down menu between reloads assuming you don't clear your cookies. There is currently only one guest map created for the game by Zeustal, but if other people contribute good maps I may make them default to the game. I know I'm not talking about the gameplay a whole lot here, I think it's best to just try it than try to explain it all here.

Planned additions:
 - Armor
 - Throwable potions
 - An extra boss or two for people to use in custom maps to make things less repetitive
 - Fountains and altars
 - Prologues / random character backgrounds, and epilogues.
 - Shops?
 - Quests, followers, and other friendly NPCs?
 - Vision?
 - Real pathfinding?

Want to create a map for RogueType? I'd recommend playing the game through to the boss at least before attempting this, since it gives you a better feel for everything. Other than that, you really just need a text editor and an online text sharing site (ideally one you log in to so that you can update your map later if you want to), something like pastebin or github gist. Once you've got that download the standard map for reference so you can ensure you're doing things right. Simply use a text editor (or ideally ascii art software) to make your map, and use the table below for reference when placing things in your map. If you use a text editor, you'll probably find it's easiest to first fill the entire contents of the map with walls and then use the insert key to write over individual tiles within it.

x - A solid wall.
. - Open floorspace.
S - The starting point for the player, only one.
+ - A normal door
= - A stronger door
M - A common monster spawn
! - A high-level monster spawn
? - A common item spawn (mainly potions for now)
T - A rare item spawn (mainly weapons for now)
F - Boss stage trigger door (only place one of these, ideally the boss room should face southwards from the door)
B - The Boss.
P - Exit portal that finishes the game after The Boss is killed.
Note: Any characters in the map which are not recognized as valid types will display as errors in-game.

More information can be found on the Github page: https://github.com/Pecon/RogueType/
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 07:59:14 PM by Pecon »

how do i use all the meat cluttering up my inventory

This is a fun timewaster! I died 2 times. And I cant drink potions sometimes. And I might make my own custom map outta this. Its pretty cool.

my fists just disintegrated

I'm pretty sure that because my fists were disintegrated I couldn't regenerate stamina.

Trying to hit open this door resulted in me stunning myself for eternity.

my fists just disintegrated
I laughed for a few minutes reading that. I made a typo in the check that prevents the fists from being disintegrated, it'll be fixed in the next version.

Pretty fun game,also how do i know what potion does what ?

Pretty fun game,also how do i know what potion does what ?
When you observe the effects of a potion, it becomes identified and you'll recognize it from then on. Until then, it's blind luck and process of elimination.

When you observe the effects of a potion, it becomes identified and you'll recognize it from then on. Until then, it's blind luck and process of elimination.

would like it if you could see weapon stats.

would like it if you could see weapon stats.
I'll see about adding some clues to weapon effectiveness.

are there any plans to open source this so other people can contribute or make their own versions of roguetype

are there any plans to open source this so other people can contribute or make their own versions of roguetype
The game is not open source; however the javascript code of the entire game is easily downloadable and not obfuscated in any way. If people make their own versions that aren't monetized and don't remove due credit in any way, I don't see any problem with that. Keep in mind that I'm still developing this though, so it's probably wise to wait until I've finished all the core features before going off and making your own version.

Version 1.4 is now public.

v1.4
- Added the ability for certain units to be displaced by other units like the player. I've added this because for certain monster (e.x. Giant Bat) didn't really make sense that they could physically block your path. As a result, you can now walk through Giant Bats.
- Reworded the combat text somewhat.
- Fixed a bug where the disintegrating potion could disintegrate the player's fist.
- Added a smooth transition between the title screen and the game.
- Prepared to add title screen music once it's finished being composed.
- Increased the player's starting health from 25 to 30. This should help reduce the incidents of getting instakilled by the higher level monsters when the player felt they had plenty of health.
- On smaller displays, the game will now sacrifice layout to try and better fit the available screen space.
- Poison potions are no longer lethal unless the player is already at extremely low health.
- Added slight healing effect to agility and defence potions to make them a little more useful.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 04:45:10 AM by Pecon »