external program for minimaps now with shadows you better believe it

Author Topic: external program for minimaps now with shadows you better believe it  (Read 8019 times)

the shadows in the op were generated with an inferior and much slower raytracing based version. since then i have switched to a faster opengl based version which doesn't have shadows in yet

« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 05:55:27 PM by Gytyyhgfffff »

wow holy stuff this is back again

i quit working on it because shadows in opengl were a daunting task but i finally got them in. this stuff isn't a final version i'm just posting it right now as a victory lap because i just spent loving 3 days working on this stuff. fun fact a typo where i accidentally swapped the view and projection matrices around halted progress for a whole day so i hate myself. anyways i know the shadows look like ass right now because they're low quality but i'm going to work on making them beautiful.

here's the gui you're going to use to create minimaps. stud resolution is how many pixels you have per stud. right now you can jack that stuff up to 25x25 pixels per stud but i'm probably going to decrease that max because 25x25 pixels per stud produces images that are way too massive.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 06:06:02 PM by Gytyyhgfffff »

better shadows, rendered image at 16x16 pixels per stud and resized the image from like 8000x4000 to 2000x1212 which makes the shadows look super forgetin smooth. in reality they're pretty blocky (maybe i'll try to fix that). there's still some artifacts (look at the office buildings at the upper right, there's just a random ass shadow triangle on the roof for whatever reason) which will be fixed at some point
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 08:22:29 PM by Gytyyhgfffff »

I’m glad you’re still working on this gyt, looks amazing

woah this is pretty neat

jesus forget i can't wait for it you don't even know

ok i made shadows better and also added automatic cropping
here's some sample minimaps
Pixels per stud   Generation time
1x1   3.14 seconds
2x2   4.05 seconds
4x4   6.04 seconds
8x8   11.94 seconds
16x16   34.03 seconds

you aren't limited to powers of two for the pixels per stud: 11x11, 18.94 seconds

new to-do list:
- figure out what is up with http://www.garycact.us/i/U2NlbmVyeQ/x_du4EVH.png on the 16x16 image
- add in ground color
- add in water support
- make add-on that lets you select portions of your build to render
- add bls support at some point
- add automatic bounds calculations for determining size of shadowmap
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 06:13:31 PM by Gytyyhgfffff »

yo this is too rad. Just imagine if it were a client-sided add-on that gave you a map of the server in real time. Too bad that's next to impossible.

yo this is too rad. Just imagine if it were a client-sided add-on that gave you a map of the server in real time. Too bad that's next to impossible.
its not really that impossible - if you had a script log newly created bricks and fed them into a live-running minimap maker, the time it would take to update only the relevant chunks of the map should be pretty fast.

will there be an isometric render option

how much would i have to pay for this to support modular trees

how much would i have to pay for this to support modular trees
it supports any brick as long as its in your addons folder

rally's fence bricks

flower brick
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 11:21:57 AM by Gytyyhgfffff »