GPU issues. What should I do?

Author Topic: GPU issues. What should I do?  (Read 1016 times)

It looks like my GTX 760 is showing signs of going bad. I'm getting lots of artifacts when the card is under load--not even heavy load-- and I've had several crashes. Some were just games crashing, but also a couple of system crashes. Is the card dying, or is there another issue? (pretty sure it's dying though)

My system:
Code: [Select]
CPU: AMD FX-8350
GPU: EVGA GTX 760 w/ 2GB RAM
RAM: 16 GB DDR3

If it really is in its final days, I'm thinking about upgrading to a used 970 before total failure, but I also want to look at some other options. If you have any suggestions, it would be great if you left them below. Thanks!

Assuming you've tried rolling back drivers, and it's artifacting like this:

or this:

then it's definitely time for a new GPU. Some people have had success heating up the card to dangerous temperatures to re-flow solder, but that's only a temporary bandaid that might completely kill the card, and even if you don't kill the card it might not do anything.

I'd recommend a new card, but I completely understand going for used considering...
-Image redacted because of Imgur TOS-
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 02:06:50 PM by Master Matthew² »

Go with a used 970 from the subreddit /r/hardwareswap

you can get one for less than 200 bucks from there

I'd recommend a new card, but I completely understand going for used considering...

its over 1k on the us site now

good thing i like in a stuffhole country tho

It's not usually that severe, rather it's just random pixels appearing all over the screen, but I can definitely see it heading that way as the problem worsens. However, one of the systems crashes was the entire display recoloring different parts of the game I was playing neon red, blue, and purple, so I'm sure it is the GPU. I'll look into some new and used cards.

It's not usually that severe, rather it's just random pixels appearing all over the screen, but I can definitely see it heading that way as the problem worsens. However, one of the systems crashes was the entire display recoloring different parts of the game I was playing neon red, blue, and purple, so I'm sure it is the GPU. I'll look into some new and used cards.
Any form of artifacting is a huge sign of the GPU hitting the dirt, especially of the drivers aren't at fault

Go with a used 970 from the subreddit /r/hardwareswap

you can get one for less than 200 bucks from there

if it's overclocked any resetting back to default may make it last a tiny bit longer

Cry because of GPU prices spiking :panda: