Author Topic: Had a hard fall at college today (rainy day), laptop appears to be damaged  (Read 2172 times)

So the past couple days it's been raining really hard where I live, and I was at college earlier today, walking to the library, and I walked out onto a wooden deck for one of the bridges that connects between the academic buildings and the library building (I had just left class and was going to the library to study), and unbeknownst to me the deck was very wet (it was a dark wood and the water blended right in), and I immediately slipped and fell to the side, hitting my head on the pavement and my laptop bag slamming down below me and then I landed on it.

Now my laptop's monitor section has a dent in the metal on the back of it, there's a small red smudge in the pixels in the center of my screen, and worst of all, the computer sputters/lags every half-second whenever I play any game, with audio becoming scratchy/distorted at every half-second spike. The computer also seems to be experiencing significant input lag at times.

I'm not sure how to diagnose my computer, does anyone have any recommended programs for detecting hardware damage, and if possible also, does anyone happen to know what might be the specific cause of my computer's sputtering?

my head and the deck are both okay. my computer... not so much :panda:

Wait what about the laptop bag

the case i keep the laptop in is old and tbh im not concerned about it. its fine tho.

im not a pc expert but that dent probably was because of impact to some internal stuff
not sure if the monitor screen is replacable but the inside is

I keep all my computer components (charger, mouse, headphones) above the laptop in the bag. One of them must have impacted into the top of the monitor casing when I fell. Sudden intense pressure.

perhaps some percussive maintenance is in order
why not place the laptop in a bag of rice to let it heal

in all seriousness yeah some internal stuff probably got banged
heres a thought: is the audio warping a problem with headphones or speakers on

You can almost certainly buy a replacement screen that will fix the red smudge of pixels. The half-second lags are probably indicative of a much more serious problem (something wrong with the laptop's motherboard/chipsets).

Are the laptop's fans working properly? Check the temps and tell me what they look like when you fire up a game.

in all seriousness yeah some internal stuff probably got banged
heres a thought: is the audio warping a problem with headphones or speakers on
the audio sputtering is a problem no matter what. it has that sound that happens whenever you get a bluescreen or have speaker/headphone static fuzz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA-c1kR4tyM
its like this but every half-second and only for like 50 ms every half-second. its accompanied at the same 50-ms moment by a huge lag spike in whatever game i am playing (so every game sputters bad).

]Are the laptop's fans working properly? Check the temps and tell me what they look like when you fire up a game.
how do i do that? i dont have any options in my computer for fans or temperature. i dont know where to view that information. im using windows 8.1
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 09:10:41 PM by Planr »

Download a program that allows you to view your temps. Speccy/OpenHardwareMonitor/etc. They're all good

what if the all the tech issues aren't actually real and are hallucinations in result of brain trauma

forget! forget! loving rooster! forget forget forget

forget! forget! loving rooster! forget forget forget
lol thats so funny! XD! i know that family guy reference!!!!