[Game news] Metroid Prime 4 possibly in dev

Author Topic: [Game news] Metroid Prime 4 possibly in dev  (Read 2970 times)

pretty much. I'm not pissing on anyone who likes Metroid, I'm just pissing on Metroid, because the games kinda suck. Castlevania and Metroid are notorious for vague progression and disgusting amounts of backtracking
Most of the Metroid games have been really good. There have been some lackluster titles (Prime 2, Other M, Federation Force), but all in all most metroid games have been very fun, intriguing, and enjoyable. Fusion and Zero Mission in particular established a lot of the franchise's story background without even engaging that much, since they're just 2D games. Yet they still manage to evoke a considerable amount of emotion. I remember being so terrified of the SA-X in fusion that I did not beat the game for YEARS simply because of how freaking scary that thing was. If there's anything Metroid excels at, it's environmental ambience.

If you don't enjoy Metroid then go ahead and don't enjoy it, but don't try to tell everyone else it's bad as if you're stating fact, because you're not (and most of the franchises' game's ratings show you're wrong on this).

Also screw you, backtracking is fun. I remember how much I enjoyed backtracking in Fusion and Zero Mission to beat all the unique speed booster and morph ball puzzles to get rare items and pickups, all while enjoying how beautiful and well-made the environments and ambiance was. If you don't like solving puzzles and getting suit upgrades then you should not be playing Metroid.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 02:48:38 PM by Planr »

and is that objectively bad? the answer is no. there's nothing objectively bad with re-exploring or revisiting already visited areas.

if you didnt do this so often (express your opinions when nobody asks for them, and also totally ignore the opposite side of them) then you wouldnt find yourself in this easy-to-attack position so often
what opposite side? What? Expressing your opinions when nobody asks for them? Isn't that what everyone here is doing? Isn't it what you're doing?

I'm sharing my opinion on why I think another Metroid will bring nothing new to the table except boring gameplay. It's totally on topic and I'm not coming at anybody

If you don't enjoy Metroid then go ahead and don't enjoy it, but don't try to tell everyone else it's bad as if you're stating fact, because you're not (and most of the franchises' game's ratings show you're wrong on this).

Also screw you, backtracking is fun.
fusion and prime are my personal favorites, but they're still plagued with isolation and monotony. All the follow up games share the same damn issues and don't bother to correct it.

Also 'ratings therefore you're wrong' isn't really valid. Almost every game with a high rating has its own slew of terrible gameplay. Take the first sonic for example. Critical acclaim doesn't mean it's a perfect game. People love it for nostalgia besides the fact that all the level design is handicapped and works against your primary mechanic of going fast

Backtracking is not fun. Especially when you need to backtrack to some ancient room with one switch or something that you totally forgot existed because it's 4 hours behind you
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 02:50:31 PM by PhantOS »

what opposite side? What? Expressing your opinions when nobody asks for them? Isn't that what everyone here is doing? Isn't it what you're doing?

I'm sharing my opinion on why I think another Metroid will bring nothing new to the table except boring gameplay. It's totally on topic and I'm not coming at anybody
You're making it very insulting when you state "metroid is bad" as if it's a fact. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it a bad series.

fusion and prime are my personal favorites, but they're still plagued with isolation and monotony. All the follow up games share the same damn issues and don't bother to correct it.
METROID GAMES ARE ALL ABOUT ISOLATION. It's not an issue simply because you don't like it!

Also 'ratings therefore you're wrong' isn't really valid. Almost every game with a high rating has its own slew of terrible gameplay. Take the first sonic for example. Critical acclaim doesn't mean it's a perfect game. People love it for nostalgia besides the fact that all the level design is handicapped and works against your primary mechanic of going fast
My point is that your opinion is by far the minority and it is very narrow-minded. You're saying Metroid games are bad just because they don't appeal to your particular desired gameplay style.

Backtracking is not fun. Especially when you need to backtrack to some ancient room with one switch or something that you totally forgot existed because it's 4 hours behind you
Again, if backtracking is not fun to you, then you should not be playing Metroid games. I'm really starting to wonder if you're just trolling at this point.

ok fair enough, but when you admit to coming in just to piss on the franchise, you're expressing your opinion in an unconstructive and inflammatory manner and clearly defining that you aren't here to discuss anything, just to stuff on it.

to get back on topic and respond to your concerns: 1) unless they want it to be a flop, it wouldnt just be a rehash of the old stuff. there's many ways to bring new gameplay and design to the old idea of backtracking and reexploring areas. 2) you keep conflating your opinion with fact, and making broad indefensible statements - "backtracking is not fun" is an extremely broad statement that ignores the slew of sandbox style games that can still be engaging even when revisiting old areas.

your example of "switch you forgot to toggle ages ago" is not an example of how backtracking is not fun - its an example of how game designers can forget up by forcing players to spend lots of time just to get something done. and in addition, just because you visited a room for the first time 4 hours ago doesnt mean that 1) it takes a long time to get back there, and 2) the fact it has a switch is totally forgettable. you're mixing up bad design with a design concept, and using it as an example of how the design concept is fundamentally flawed, when it isnt.

I don't know if boredom, boring enemies and confusing levels is a desired gameplay style. Sure you can say 'its only boring to you' but does that statement have any substance? I'm sure there are people out there that thoroughly enjoy, say, desert bus the game, because it let's you be peaceful and think about their life, but in the end it can be objectively concluded that the game is monotonous because you drive in one direction for 14 hours. I'm not wrong that all Metroid games have confusing map design, will constantly place secret walls or completely inconspicuous methods of progressing through the game. If you enjoy backtracking through the same rooms and same enemies and wasting your time searching for which hidden floor panel leads to the next hidden breakable wall, go ahead.

It's still forgetin boring g

PhantOS have you ever played any/all of metroid prime series? I'll respect your opinion if you at least tried it for a good amount of time. Maybe you did say you played it before (apologize if you did), but if you did I hope you played long enough to know the mechanics.

Yes these games do backtrack a lot, but I love these kind of games where I was on the first map I was unable to get into certain places until I found those powers. There is a bit of story but I do agree there isn't much character development. Though this game is basically a memory game on steroids of where you discovered map parts that couldn't go into before.

The problem here is that you automatically assume that the next metroid prime is going to be bad based on its past, there is no evidence of the game yet other than a rumor.

why is this not in games
I don't post much with games or regular news, I was stumbled of where it should be.

It's still forgetin boring
Boring to you, but not to the millions of people who do enjoy it. Please go piss on some other thread about people liking something you don't.

ok fair enough, but when you admit to coming in just to piss on the franchise, you're expressing your opinion in an unconstructive and inflammatory manner and clearly defining that you aren't here to discuss anything, just to stuff on it.

to get back on topic and respond to your concerns: 1) unless they want it to be a flop, it wouldnt just be a rehash of the old stuff. there's many ways to bring new gameplay and design to the old idea of backtracking and reexploring areas. 2) you keep conflating your opinion with fact, and making broad indefensible statements - "backtracking is not fun" is an extremely broad statement that ignores the slew of sandbox style games that can still be engaging even when revisiting old areas.

your example of "switch you forgot to toggle ages ago" is not an example of how backtracking is not fun - its an example of how game designers can forget up by forcing players to spend lots of time just to get something done. and in addition, just because you visited a room for the first time 4 hours ago doesnt mean that 1) it takes a long time to get back there, and 2) the fact it has a switch is totally forgettable. you're mixing up bad design with a design concept, and using it as an example of how the design concept is fundamentally flawed, when it isnt.
Conan there will be people who come here just to praise the game mindlessly and nobody will even raise a finger because 'its Metroid it's automatically good'

I don't think it will flop, I just think that the Metroid recipe is too well received therefore it's in their best interest to make another game with the same recipe. It's what the fans want so why blow up your budget exploring new and totally awesome designs when you can just do nothing and make a gazillion bucks?

Backtracking is pretty loving stupid. It's a poor man's puzzle that requires no thoughtful design, just placing the point of progression a mile back. By the time the player either figures it out or reads the damn walkthrough, they'll be so relieved just to continue on past that loving travesty of confusing rooms and enemies. It's fun to complete a maze once, but it's not fun to complete it backwards. You've already been through it, the only difficulty is the time you have to travel back and the search through your memory to find the obscure room with a destructible wall.

I don't know if boredom, boring enemies and confusing levels is a desired gameplay style. Sure you can say 'its only boring to you' but does that statement have any substance? I'm sure there are people out there that thoroughly enjoy, say, desert bus the game, because it let's you be peaceful and think about their life, but in the end it can be objectively concluded that the game is monotonous because you drive in one direction for 14 hours. I'm not wrong that all Metroid games have confusing map design, will constantly place secret walls or completely inconspicuous methods of progressing through the game. If you enjoy backtracking through the same rooms and same enemies and wasting your time searching for which hidden floor panel leads to the next hidden breakable wall, go ahead.

It's still forgetin boring g
concluding a game is montonous is not the same as concluding its boring as forget. one is a fact, the other is your opinion.

Backtracking is pretty loving stupid. It's a poor man's puzzle that requires no thoughtful design, just placing the point of progression a mile back. By the time the player either figures it out or reads the damn walkthrough, they'll be so relieved just to continue on past that loving travesty of confusing rooms and enemies. It's fun to complete a maze once, but it's not fun to complete it backwards. You've already been through it, the only difficulty is the time you have to travel back and the search through your memory to find the obscure room with a destructible wall.
have you not played literally any sandbox/open world game? what about breath of the wild? and again you're conflating bad design with backtracking. backtracking doesnt mean doing everything you've already done again, it means /revisiting old areas/. im not sure you totally understand that

and nobody is praising the game, they're just getting hyped.

Backtracking isn't really that bad on metroid prime, I guess you never played it smh

Backtracking isn't really that bad on metroid prime, I guess you never played it smh
I'll be honest I never made it past the snow level

have you not played literally any sandbox/open world game? what about breath of the wild? and again you're conflating bad design with backtracking. backtracking doesnt mean doing everything you've already done again, it means /revisiting old areas/. im not sure you totally understand that
I played wind waker once and I hated everything about it except the dungeons. Even in wind waker they do some massive backtracking bullstuff endgame and at that point player's should just burn their game disk
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 03:26:13 PM by PhantOS »

As someone who loves first person shooters I oddly enough like the 2d metroid much more then prime. It's weird because I normally don't like 2d