Author Topic: .  (Read 4463 times)

« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 08:38:35 PM by Gautier00 »

idk man, if this is different from dungeon raiders, you should let the design speak for itself rather than explain how things are different.

your explanation only serves to make it really clear how you took dungeon raiders as the primary inspiration and just changed specific aspects till you felt it was different enough.

as it stands, through your pictures as well, its pretty clearly very heavily inspired by it, both in terms of aesthetic and core gameplay. that and also the fact you only started two months ago, and dungeon raiders has been around for almost a year by now

Endlessly completing cookie cutter quests like "kill x amount of enemies" or "beat y dungeons" isn't a fun and engaging experience. See: all blockland RPGs suck.

They require a lot of writers and staff in general but 90% of people say 'hey I can make an RPG/roguelike/dungeon crawl' and completely skip the core of what makes the genre fun: engaging combat, lore, intelligent class skills and strategy. So you'll be left with an empty husk of hitting the same 2 enemies with swords, stupid boring quests and 'rpg elements' which is just a fancy word for grinding.

Don't make this unless you know what you're doing. Otherwise you'll waste 2 months of your life and realize how bad this gamemode is and live in regret

brother didnt you just say you were gonna do some boss fight type stuff wtf

i think instead of putting a huge wall of text at the beginning explaining how it isnt related to dungeon raiders, change up the gameplay enough so that people don't think that. if people think your game is like dungeon raiders, you are most likely doing something wrong, and should probably add some more original features to your gamemode to make it stand out. (also the fact that both gamemodes are dungeon crawlers AND using the same prints is probably a huge reason to why people think its dungeon raiders)

this gamemode could be promising, though! i look forward to the end result. i would love to see those sidequests done well in a blockland gamemode, that would be incredible :)

brother didnt you just say you were gonna do some boss fight type stuff wtf
Its currently at a working standpoint where I can also work on something else now, at this rate that gamemode only needs updating, it doesn't need to actually be "worked" on if its at a reasonable stopping point.

idk man, if this is different from dungeon raiders, you should let the design speak for itself rather than explain how things are different.

your explanation only serves to make it really clear how you took dungeon raiders as the primary inspiration and just changed specific aspects till you felt it was different enough.

as it stands, through your pictures as well, its pretty clearly very heavily inspired by it, both in terms of aesthetic and core gameplay. that and also the fact you only started two months ago, and dungeon raiders has been around for almost a year by now
I'm not gonna have this discussion on a forum thread, this isn't even a point made this is simply a debatable opinion. Consider this thought for a moment, what you basically said is, nobody else can do a dungeon crawler because one exists already. Because it instantly is either a rip off or its just the same game with some changes. You might as well speak up about every single First-Person shooter being a rip off of a most recent one released considering it involves going around shooting stuff. Or stuff on every single Deathrun because Rose's server exists and its instantly a bootleg of that. No matter what the game play will remain in common, its blockland its not unreal engine. I can't simply just make the AI more realistic to what they're really supposed to be, I can only puppeteer them to do certain things. Not only that, this isn't even based on Dungeon Raiders its based on Barony. The reason I even bothered stating that this isn't supposed to be in anyway connected to Dungeon Raiders is because nobody will ever accept something new that's already been done once before, unless there's something really to it that makes it distant from what others have already done. In this case, its based on a game that I have never once seen in my life been done. This isn't a Deathrun nor is this just simply picking a class and fight enemies, you actually have objectives to do you have characters you need to interact with. That's literally saying Dixmiggie exists its the first completed Campaign/Story Mode nobody else is now allowed to do something similar to there own taste because guess what, it was done once. That's completely irrational and unfair to those who could already be working on something and then something happens to get released and now its too late to even bother with that project you're now working on. IF we're gonna continue this conversation then I'd prefer this be a private discussion and not continue it here.

I'd rather this thread stick to the whole idea of what this is mean't to be about, if you're just not interested or support the idea in general that's fine just find something else to do then.

i think instead of putting a huge wall of text at the beginning explaining how it isnt related to dungeon raiders, change up the gameplay enough so that people don't think that. if people think your game is like dungeon raiders, you are most likely doing something wrong, and should probably add some more original features to your gamemode to make it stand out. (also the fact that both gamemodes are dungeon crawlers AND using the same prints is probably a huge reason to why people think its dungeon raiders)

this gamemode could be promising, though! i look forward to the end result. i would love to see those sidequests done well in a blockland gamemode, that would be incredible :)
Thank you for the honesty, but the only reason I bothered with that wall of text is because I have a history of doing intentionally related structured games based around dungeon raiders, but I'm trying to do something A LOT more different. More based on our preference of gameplay that we'd like and rather see then something more based on balance and competitive. This is just mean't to be a fun game to play with your friends whenever you want, this isn't to compete against anybody along with Dungeon Raiders. This is just a fun project that I'd like to do along with the community if they'd like to pitch in ideas. Also regarding prints, I'm still currently working on some at the moment, I also have someone who's willing to do there own art style as well for the game, so at the moment this is what we have to work with. But again, thank you for your honesty.

Imagine someone builds a car. Everyone likes it. Now imagine you come in and build a car with a smiley face on the windshield and spiked tires. People don't like it. What went wrong? How can we rectify this situation? Let's start with step one: don't make slightly similar copies of good things that exist.

Step two: don't act surprised when people notice how similar it is to the original

Step three: don't preemptively try to justify your clone.

If ever you plan on making something new that is inspired by something, talk about the MEANINGFUL mechanics you plan on introducing that set it apart. Better ai isn't MEANINGFUL. A shop ISN'T MEANINGFUL. Those are just extra features. If you need directions, Google meaningful game design

tbh op i came in thinking none of it was related to dungeon raiders until you constantly went on about how it isn't dungeon raiders and now i'm thinking it is.....

Also dungeon raiders sucks. Keep that in mind when you make a game very similar to dungeon raiders

Also dungeon raiders sucks. Keep that in mind when you make a game very similar to dungeon raiders
woah there

woah there
all deathruns are plagued by repetitive gameplay and zero replayability. Dungeon raiders just happens to be the most refined deathrun. However, boring combat and nonchalant class design don't really bring anything new to the table. The lesson to learn from raiders is that adding more features to a stuffty genre of gamemode isn't an improvement.

Examples of improvement: randomized traps, multiple paths forcing death to multitask, classes that actually have good skills (thief is the only one)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 07:01:36 PM by PhantOS »

all deathruns are plagued by repetitive gameplay and zero replayability. Dungeon raiders just happens to be the most refined deathrun. However, boring combat and nonchalant class design don't really bring anything new to the table. The lesson to learn from raiders is that adding more features to a stuffty genre of gamemode isn't an improvement.

Examples of improvement: randomized traps, multiple paths forcing death to multitask, classes that actually have good skills (thief is the only one)