Author Topic: .  (Read 4461 times)

Examples of improvement: randomized traps, multiple paths forcing death to multitask, classes that actually have good skills (thief is the only one)
thats some good advice. ill keep it in mind if i ever decide to reboot the gamemode again

all deathruns are plagued by repetitive gameplay and zero replayability. Dungeon raiders just happens to be the most refined deathrun. However, boring combat and nonchalant class design don't really bring anything new to the table. The lesson to learn from raiders is that adding more features to a stuffty genre of gamemode isn't an improvement.

Examples of improvement: randomized traps, multiple paths forcing death to multitask, classes that actually have good skills (thief is the only one)

Then again, it will be neat to have randomly-generated stuff.

Dungeon raiders isn't like, awful per se, it definitely brought a lot of new interesting stuff to the deathrun table, but a lot of it was pretty hollow and would lose its charm after the fourth dungeon run. The map design was the only notable feature I can think of, but apart from that the game feels a lot like a hack and slash with no energy. Not the designer's fault that the melee combat in blockland is generally lackluster, but that limitation needs to be worked around

If I may state here that if users come to this topic just to complain how this gamemode is just a copy of another gamemode, go whine in drama and not here.

Then again, it will be neat to have randomly-generated stuff.
the random generation is just a simple but essential solution to the monotonous design. If they took a page out of the mighty quest for epic loot and maybe gave death like 30 seconds to quickly and easily design the map layout and traps, it would give death a more creative role in the deathrun process. Of course, this would be super difficult to pull off from a coding perspective but if implemented would work wonders.

If I may state here that if users come to this topic just to complain how this gamemode is just a copy of another gamemode, go whine in drama and not here.
If you could at least read the rest of the replies, you can tell that there's constructive criticism slowly coming up.  No need to bring the thing about drama.

the random generation is just a simple but essential solution to the monotonous design.
I can assume an idea for the random tileset thing, but not as advanced as what others would implement.

If they took a page out of the mighty quest for epic loot and maybe gave death like 30 seconds to quickly and easily design the map layout and traps, it would give death a more creative role in the deathrun process.
I'm taking this as that death of a teammate would result in a penalty, amping up the chaos of the dungeon.  I like that.

Of course, this would be super difficult to pull off from a coding perspective but if implemented would work wonders.
Word.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 07:14:22 PM by Redconer »

i guess my post’s intent was unclear, but kobewarrior’s post sums it up for me
tbh op i came in thinking none of it was related to dungeon raiders until you constantly went on about how it isn't dungeon raiders and now i'm thinking it is.....
you shouldnt preemptively defend a gamemode. im not suggesting spinoffs or remakes are not allowed, but i fail to see what significant new aspects you bring to the table other than changes to classes and weapons available, based on your entire list of how things are different.

really, the core map design and aesthetic being different enough would be enough to call it a spinoff and not a clone of dr, but the fact that they appear to be similar/the same based on the pictures available seem to indicate you decided to take the exact same route in terms of aesthetic. again, not a problem by itself, but overall there appears to be very little core difference.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 07:17:16 PM by Conan »

If you could at least read the rest of the replies, you can tell that there's constructive criticism slowly coming up.  No need to bring the thing about drama.

if you don't want criticism then don't post in a public forum. As potential players of said project we should at least be able to provide our opinion on whether or not it looks good or bad. If nobody was allowed to criticize ever, 98% of everything ever made in history would suck balls.

if you don't want criticism then don't post in a public forum. As potential players of said project we should at least be able to provide our opinion on whether or not it looks good or bad. If nobody was allowed to criticize ever, 98% of everything ever made in history would suck balls.
Nobody said we don't want criticism, we're saying we'd prefer criticism then just complaining about how dungeon raiders sucks. That isn't criticism that's your entitled opinion.

guys please talk about mystical quest

I think it's essential that you rule out all the cons of your primary inspiration. You know, before they bleed into your project and make it suck even more. Of course the stuff about death is only applicable to deathrun, but at least understand that designing large dungeons with the same 4 enemies who have the same strategy to defeat will not be fun to play.

You need to think about the pros of the dungeon crawl' genre and work on expanding them. At the same time, downplay the cons as much as possible with solutions and good game mechanics
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 07:17:54 PM by PhantOS »

guys please talk about mystical quest
Shrouded in mystery.  Needs more assistance in development and build team.

i guess my post’s intent was unclear, but kochieboy’s post sums it up
i'm unfriending you