Author Topic: .  (Read 4460 times)

Then again, it will be neat to have randomly-generated stuff.
The weapons in mystical quests are always randomly generated the way they're laid out, also the potions give random health/mana back.

That uh, doesn't sound that in-depth

That uh, doesn't sound that in-depth
~Health Potions give random health back you're not guaranteed a certain amount. Same with Mana potions they can either give a lot of mana back or very little.
~Weapons will not always be in the same location, they also wont be the same weapon/item every round. It'll change every time.

random =/= depth, just means you cant rely on said things during your playthrough

and too much random can make players feel like the game is unfair. its why most games have fake random aspects - secretly behind the scenes they juggle the numbers to make the game feel less  unfair or frustrating. a good example is xcom

random =/= depth, just means you cant rely on said things during your playthrough

and too much random can make players feel like the game is unfair. its why most games have fake random aspects - secretly behind the scenes they juggle the numbers to make the game feel less  unfair or frustrating. a good example is xcom
The randomness though isn't like unfair, it just means some potions are weak and some are effective, but its not like you don't get some kind of benefit from the potions. Specially when you can hold an unlimited amount.

~Health Potions give random health back you're not guaranteed a certain amount. Same with Mana potions they can either give a lot of mana back or very little.
~Weapons will not always be in the same location, they also wont be the same weapon/item every round. It'll change every time.
no I mean this is basically identical to borderlands randomness. There's a major difference between giving players a random weapon in one location and the entire dungeon's layout being random. Randomness should be added to make the game unpredictable so people can't learn a dominant strategy and just use it. What you're doing is subtle randomness, like giving a weapon random stats. All the player has to do is kill 2 enemies and they instantly learn how to use the weapon. It's not that deep, just a minor setback

I feel like the way you brown townyze game development is 'what seems the most unique' rather than 'what will keep the game engaging and make sense'. You need to start thinking about the latter
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 09:15:11 PM by PhantOS »

no I mean this is basically identical to borderlands randomness. There's a major difference between giving players a random weapon in one location and the entire dungeon's layout being random. Randomness should be added to make the game unpredictable so people can't learn a dominant strategy and just use it. What you're doing is subtle randomness, like giving a weapon random stats. All the player has to do is kill 2 enemies and they instantly learn how to use the weapon. It's not that deep, just a minor setback

I feel like the way you brown townyze game development is 'what seems the most unique' rather than 'what will keep the game engaging and make sense'. You need to start thinking about the latter
I was only just telling redconer something i wasn't trying to give out information that i just figured was "unique".

You should think about not using modular bricks for your terrain, 8x and 16x cubescape would look alot more refined, along with some nice detailed trees and foliage

You should think about not using modular bricks for your terrain, 8x and 16x cubescape would look alot more refined, along with some nice detailed trees and foliage
We'd rather stick to our build style.