Author Topic: Multiple Names per Brick  (Read 689 times)

I've been having some trouble with my event system on my Island Conquest server. It's made up of lots of different named bricks that do very similar actions, but must be in separate groups, and there's lots of systems that are like this. However, at the start of the minigame, all of them have to reset either their color to a blank white color, or turn invisible/no collision. Having to event each individual brick to do so is a pain in the ass, especially since something in the event addon I was using changed and now I have to fix every single brick on the server that uses it.

What I'm proposing is an addon that can give a brick several different names to allow it to be in multiple event groups.
Example: There are six bricks. Bricks A, B, C, D, E, and F. A, B, and C, are also all named X. D, E, and F are also all named Y. Each of the six bricks have their own name so that the individuality of events regarding them can be preserved if needed. However, if, for example, the eventer wanted to affect A, B, and C altogether, they could simply create a single named brick event for Brick X, instead of creating three named brick events for A, B, and C.

Is it possible to do this in BL?

It would be extremely difficult. You would have to gut the entire event system. And probably figure out how to get saving/loading to play nicely with it as well.

This is one of the problems with events: There is always gonna be some kind of repetition if you want to do the same things to different named bricks. Now there might be a solution to this kind of thing with VCE if you have that, although I can not think of it...

Why don't you just use Event_SetBrickName and IfBrickNameEquals (I forgot where this was) to get something like this.

Why don't you just use Event_SetBrickName and IfBrickNameEquals (I forgot where this was) to get something like this.
That would create more work. If you renamed A/B/C to X, there would be no one-shot way to turn X back into A/B/C.