Brick Tessellation (by Jasa)

Author Topic: Brick Tessellation (by Jasa)  (Read 11510 times)

Brick Tessellation (v2.1)
Bumpy Bricks!

Description

DISCLAIMERS
1) This mod will cause a drastic increase in Vram usage. If you have tessellation turned on and too many bricks loaded, you or clients on your server might crash
2) For changes to take effect, you must restart your server. Blame Badspot for restricting fxDtsBrickData.brickFile.

22 Preferences:
Enable
  • Disabled: Brick tessellation is disabled on all bricks
  • Normal: Brick tessellation is only enabled on regular bricks
  • Special: Brick tessellation is enabled on special bricks without collision models
Top Mode, Side Mode, Bottom Mode
  • Flat: This side of the brick will be flat-shaded and untextured
  • Specular: This side of the brick will be flat-shaded bit will have specular highlights
  • Textured: How bricks are usually rendered
  • Tessellated: Bricks are flat-shaded tessellated with no specular highlights or brick textures
  • Tessellated/Specular: Tessellated with specular highlights but ignores textures
  • Tessellated/Textured: Bricks are both tessellated and textured with specular highlights
Depth
  • How far the tessellation sticks out from the brick
Inset
  • How far from the sides of the brick that it ramps in
Recolor 1-4
  • Recommended to make untextured tessellated bricks stick out in shadows

Screenshots

Installation
Put Server_BrickTes.zip into the Add-Ons folder in your Blockland folder.

Download
Server_BrickTes.zip

Click Here to view this file on the Blockland Glass Downloads System
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 12:33:40 PM by DurkaDude »

Reserved

loving nice, literally makes everything "pop" more

From what I've experienced the game renders tessellation bricks nearly as fast as vanilla bricks, with the only real caveat being the increased Vram usage. Blockland doesn't use much Vram to begin with and with Top Mode set to Textured and everything else turned on I've been able to have 256,000 tessellated brick loaded at once. I have 2 GTX 1080 Ti's so your results might vary.

this + reshade = dead gpu

oh my loving god this is amazing

how's this possible in blockland?

im guessing this basically triples the face count of all blockland bricks. in that case wouldn't it be just 3x harder to run then a normal amount of bricks?

like if 5000 bricks on-screen takes up x amount of VRAM, would 5000 tessellated bricks take up 3x amount of VRAM?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 06:38:59 PM by thegoodperry »

im guessing this basically triples the face count of all blockland bricks. in that case wouldn't it be just 3x harder to run then a normal amount of bricks?

like if 5000 bricks on-screen takes up x amount of VRAM, would 5000 tessellated bricks take up 3x amount of VRAM?
I haven't gotten any exact numbers but that sounds about right, not including top tessellation.
oh my loving god this is amazing

how's this possible in blockland?
It generates new blb's for each brick based on the settings and ties that new blb file to the datablock. Here's a BLB generated by the mod.

Is it possible to make a client side version

Not without some .dll trickery or an engine update. Client sided brick shapes are locked to prevent the obvious wall-hacks and X-ray exploits.

This is loving insane, didnt know this was possible.

This is loving insane, didnt know this was possible.
I have no idea how I coded this back in 2014

shaders probably

I have no idea how I coded this back in 2014
its pretty impressive. could you make some sort of documentation on what each part of the blb format means? i know this exists https://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=53716.0 but its very non-descriptive and vague on what each category does what and how the fields correspond to each other
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 01:46:15 PM by thegoodperry »