9 (17.6%)
Laurel only
9 (17.6%)
I've heard both
29 (56.9%)
Haven't heard either
4 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Author Topic: Yanny or Laurel (Blue or Yellow Dress 2.0)  (Read 4645 times)

How strange. It's not like there's any perceptual tricks like with the dress where your brain corrects for the lighting - it's just, like, one clip of audio.

EDIT: Okay, I messed with it in Audacity for a bit. If I pitch it down one octave, it doesn't sound like either; too distorted. If I pitch it down two octaves, I can just barely make out a distorted "yanny." But I had to pitch it down TWO OCTAVES to do that, so I don't know how anyone can hear "yanny" normally. I can also hear it if I apply an extremely strong high-pass filter at 2000Hz, but again, this is such a strong effect that I can't imagine anyone hearing that normally.

EDIT2: Try this out: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/05/16/upshot/audio-clip-yanny-laurel-debate.html
This lets you distort the frequencies to "hear" both. I had to go to the 2nd notch from the right to start hearing both words equally, and 1 notch to hear yanny unequivocally. What's your critical point?
And, for what it's worth, the original clip says "laurel," with some distorted higher frequencies added to trip people up.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 01:37:44 AM by TristanLuigi »

I tried pitch shifting and it didn't help me find the Yanny.

Heard Yanny focused and then heard Laurel.

also

that gif loving destroyed me

I can hear both and switch between them but Laurel is definitely the correct/dominant one

i can make it switch between yanny and laurel. why are we freaking out over bad text to speech, anyway?

i can tune my ears to hear either, but i heard yanny first

edit: i went back and listened again and i cant hear yanny anymore what the forget
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 05:03:19 AM by TableSalt »

https://twitter.com/deathtrips_/status/996831248860504065

heres the answer, was gonna post this on the other thread but it got locked
pretty basic stuff

I can hear both at once.

kind of sad that this is blowing up so badly

WTF i just took a nap and woke up and i hear laurel now

I hear laurel, even trying to pretend that i hear "yanny", i don't really hear it

i can only hear Yanny but i always have my volume down real low ...