Author Topic: Agora (forum system) development thread  (Read 4785 times)

The issues with the bbcode parser here at the BLF inspired me to resume work on this project of mine. Agora is a lightweight forum system focused on fast performance (both on the server side and for the client) and a small storage footprint. The design of the forum is somewhat inspired by SMF, but I plan to do a major overhaul of the theme structure in order to enable a much more device-aware design so that it works nicely on both desktop and mobile devices.

Old topic: https://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=309127.0

Github repository: https://github.com/Pecon/Agora

Features:
 - Robust bbcode parser (tables!)
 - Avatar system that supports animated gifs and static images up to 100x100px, and with high quality resampling of larger avatars.
 - Uncomplicated code (No unexplained regex, things are generally written in a pretty straightforward manner)
 - All features supported without Javascript (Javascript still enhances some features)
 - Powerful BBCode parser written specifically for Agora (No regex used. Very straightforward to edit.)
 - Optional email address confirmation system
 - Private messaging system
 - Lack of feature bloat (or an excuse as to this list being short)

To-do:
 - Add boards
 - Add more admin tools and improve existing ones
 - Overhaul visual design
 - Search feature

If you would like to help, the most needed things right now would be:
 - A default favicon.
 - A background image/texture, maybe.
 - You may also make a pull request if you would like to contribute code changes.

Keep in mind that if you wish to contribute, you cannot use any copywritten materials. So for example if you made a banner graphic, it can't feature any image or photo that isn't original work or in the public domain. Some good sources of public domain images can be found at creative commons, nasa, or a few other select places that produce content exclusively for public domain use.

Screenshots:

The thread index

A thread

A user profile

If you're interested in testing out the forum system, a link to the testing forum can be found on the github page.

does it still use the default avatar i made like 3 years ago?

does it still use the default avatar i made like 3 years ago?
Yes.

how about some modern features like video embedding

how about some modern features like video embedding
It's got that, take a look at the bbcode tag list on the github page.

>supports HTML5 videos by linking to a file

I immediately like this a lot

Password reset machine broke

Password reset machine broke
Fixed, go ahead and try sending yourself a new reset email.

how'd you get the solid slate chrome address bar and everything
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 10:54:05 PM by Verification »

how'd you get the solid slate chrome
Not sure honestly, I use firefox primarily but prefer chrome for taking screenshots since it's interface is minimal. It's just the default chromium package for debian.

I use firefox primarily but prefer chrome for taking screenshots since it's interface is minimal.
In either browser you can press f11 to go into a fullscreen mode that hides all of the UI and only shows the webpage.

In either browser you can press f11 to go into a fullscreen mode that hides all of the UI and only shows the webpage.
I'm well aware, firefox even has a feature for taking screenshots of full webpages beyond your screen size too. I wanted the interface in the screenshots though because it puts the layout into better perspective relative to the browser interface. And to that end, chrome is more photogenic than firefox imo.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 11:02:04 PM by Pecon »