Looking to get a new gaming laptop for under $1.2k, recommendations?

Author Topic: Looking to get a new gaming laptop for under $1.2k, recommendations?  (Read 2533 times)

/title

my current laptop (got it in 2015, it's 3 years old now):
https://www.amazon.com/GL551JW-DS74-15-6-Inch-Gaming-Laptop-GTX960M/dp/B00T7XRGGC/ref=pd_cp_147_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=00XPHJ07NSHC1VJDJZKX

specs i'm looking for so far:
price up to $1,200 (will not go any higher than this)
7th/8th generation intel i7 CPU
nVidia GTX 10 series GPU (but no M version)
OS running on a 128gb-min SSD w/ 1tb HDD
min. 16 gb RAM
15.6 inch width model

i've found some interesting ones that look sort of like what i want:

ASUS FX503VM 15.6" Full HD Gaming Laptop
https://www.amazon.com/FX503VM-Powerful-i7-7700HQ-processor-GeForce/dp/B076KVCSRN/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1530476852&sr=1-4&keywords=ASUS+gaming+laptop#customerReviews
+ Best GPU (GTX 1060[3gb VRAM @1.5-1.7k Mhz] vs GTX 1050ti[4gb VRAM @1.3k-1.4k Mhz] vs GTX 1050[2gb VRAM @ 1.35k-1.45k Mhz]) (source)
+ Sold by Amazon rather than a third-party company, making the purchase less risky return-wise if there are defects or problems
+ Best reviews + Most reviews VS the other two laptops

// 3 USB ports (3x USB 3.0; the ROG Strix has 4 ports)
-- Most expensive ($1,213 minimum vs $1,200 vs $950)
-- No CD drive (though an external CD drive is cheap)
-- Oldest laptop by date first available (first released October 2nd, 2017)
-- Many user reviews have complained of poor color/brightness quality with the monitor

Asus FX53VD 15.6 Inch Full HD Gaming Laptop
https://www.amazon.com/Asus-i7-7700HQ-Backlit-Keyboard-GeForce/dp/B07B9HTVBX/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1530476852&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=ASUS%2Bgaming%2Blaptop&smid=A1LZN806TROZ37&th=1
+ CD Drive (something the other laptops lack, though buying an external USB cd drive is cheap)
+ $250 cheaper than the others

-- Only 1 USB port (1x USB 2.0)
-- No user reviews (overall laptop quality is therefore dubious and more risky as a purchase choice)
-- Small hard drive space compared to the others (512gb total vs 1,128gb total)
-- Lowest-end GPU card compared to the others (GTX 1050[2gb VRAM @ 1.35k-1.45k Mhz] vs GTX 1050ti[4gb VRAM @1.3k-1.4k Mhz] vs GTX 1060[3gb VRAM @1.5-1.7k Mhz])
-- Thicker than the other laptops height-wise (1.2 inches vs 1 inch)

ASUS ROG Strix Hero Edition 15.6" Gaming Laptop
https://www.amazon.com/Gaming-i7-7700HQ-Processor-Keyboard-GL503VD/dp/B07BPB158F/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1530476852&sr=1-6&keywords=ASUS%2Bgaming%2Blaptop&th=1
+ Best CPU core compared to the others (6-core i7 8750H vs 4-core i7 7700HQ) (source)
+ 4 USB ports (4x USB 3.0)
+ Newest model laptop (first available in March 28th, 2018)

// Slightly cheaper than the FX503VM (the highest-end GPU one). Weaker GPU, but better CPU
-- Many user reviews have complained of overheating problems
-- No CD drive

Comparison between the 3:

of the 3 above, which would you say is the best? feel free to make your own recommendations as well for specific laptops.
please do not recommend low-end or poor-reputation laptop manufacturers though (eg. Dell/HP). ASUS is my personal favorite but MSI or Lenovo are probably cool too.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 11:19:52 PM by Planr »

i wouldn't get either of the laptops with the 1050, especially in that high price range (unless you already have a desktop PC for heavier games). this laptop has a lot of bang for your buck:
https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-Gaming-Laptop-i7-7700HQ/dp/B077J39Q5Z/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1530484853&sr=1-5&keywords=laptop+i7+gtx+1060&dpID=41bYSoZNYtL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
7th gen i7, gtx 1060 with 6gb of vram, an SSD and HDD (128gb and 1tb respectively). basically everything you want for a little less than $1200 before any tax.

i would do some research on whatever model laptop you choose before buying. i know there's another dell gaming laptop model that has some backlight bleed, but it wasn't the Inspiron 15.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 05:41:42 PM by auzman466 »

Are laptops actually worth buying now? Because 5 years ago as far as I can remember, buying a gaming laptop was pretty much a waste of money

I recommend the Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming. It's 800 dollars and has some really good specs.

Are laptops actually worth buying now? Because 5 years ago as far as I can remember, buying a gaming laptop was pretty much a waste of money
they aren't too bad nowadays

they aren't too bad nowadays
Ok cause back in the day I heard that stuff died in like 3-4 years, compared to a PC

I am not under any circumstances going to be getting a Dell. In my experience (and my friends who have had dell laptops), they are cheap flimsy laptops made with plastic that break easily and stop working after a year or less. They're cheaper for a good reason. The last Dell I had literally fell apart (the casing broke open and snapped, and the monitor came unhinged; laptop lasted for less than a year). My friend Unicode's last dell also fell apart on him (made of cheap flimsy plastic). Bluescreens, hard drive failures, and motherboard problems have plagued me on all dell computers i've had before.

The last two laptops i've had have both been ASUS laptops and they are tough and reliable and lasted for many years. My previous ASUS, which I had for 5 years, survived numerous 3-foot drops from tables, falls from countertops in RVs swerving around corners on tight roads (lots of stories there), and slips and falls in the rain (laptop was in its case and hit the ground hard and i fell on top of it), and it kept on working hard and refused to give up or break down. I eventually gave it to my brother after 5 years of use since its hardware was too outdated for decent gaming.

The main reasons I need a new laptop now are, again, hardware/performance issues. The laptop itself is fine, but my GPU and CPU are considerably outdated and i get pretty bad FPS on most modern games.
Oh that, and my A key and escape key constantly stop working for no reason last month (which is incredibly frustrating for gaming), and my disc drive isn't reading the discs half the time anymore.

I would much rather pay a little more for a decent ASUS that will last me 3 years minimum vs a flimsy Dell with the same specs that'll break itself apart in less than a year.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 07:22:34 PM by Planr »

yeah I had a dell laptop too and the loving battery kept on becoming loving faulty lol

Updated OP with better formatting, comparisons, and information.

I spent the past 3 hours doing an extensive comparison/contrast between the 3 laptops, and I think i'm either going to go with the FX503VM or the ROG Strix. I really like how the ROG Strix is set up, with the powerful 8th-gen CPU (which is , but I also really like the FX503VM with its GTX 1060, which is apparently much better than the 1050ti despite only having 3gb of VRAM vs the 1050ti's 4gb.

The middle one (the FX53VD), though being $250 cheaper than the others, has only 1 USB port, cramped hard drive space, and the poorest GPU of the three (though it has a CD drive, which is great), but I just don't think it's really a worthy contender.

So yeah. The ROG Strix is slightly cheaper and has a much better CPU, but the FX503VM has a much better GPU.
Which should I get?

The FX503VM would be the best for the money

The FX503VM would be the best for the money
this
true, but the low hard drive space, low-end GPU, and the 1 USB port make it a really unappealing choice for me. I'd rather pay $250 more for a laptop that actually has what I need vs a half-axed one for $950.

true, but the low hard drive space, low-end GPU, and the 1 USB port make it a really unappealing choice for me. I'd rather pay $250 more for a laptop that actually has what I need vs a half-axed one for $950.
you're looking at the wrong one, we're talking about the one with the 1060

you're looking at the wrong one, we're talking about the one with the 1060
oh your right my bad lol.

wrong one buddy