Author Topic: Someone Was Trying to Break Into My Network (Again)  (Read 1565 times)

I'm just watching my ssh server spout out "illegal user" errors.

This is kind of sad. At the speed it's going, it's like some's manually typing them in, one at a time.

They're just generic usernames too, so there's basically no chance that it will work.

It's kind of entertaining actually, just to see what comes up.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 06:24:54 PM by Writer The Wolf »

is it the chinese dude again

what tf are u hosting that would make ppl want to target u

you should install a honeypot like kippo and see what they try to do

is it the chinese dude again
Enope. Netherlands this time.

There's two IP's 185.143.222.6, and 185.143.222.7.

They'll target anyone with an open ssh port. A static IP with a domain name connected to it makes the target bigger.

you should install a honeypot like kippo and see what they try to do

That sounds fun. That server is dedicated for ssh, so might be worth trying at some point.

Moneys on donnie's catch doing it

the entire database of e621

the entire database of e621

Just "wget -r" all of e621, and use it as AI training data.

change the ssh port to something random like 7777 instead of 22

>When you're interested in making a server but then you realize that you only learned the basics of the basics.

Nobody is targeting you. Botnets will automatically attempt to log into virtually all open services on any network, constantly. As long as you're using a strong, unique password you will be fine (even better would be if you disabled password login and used an ssh key instead).

hey guys make sure its not a hacker cause thats bad right

change the ssh port to something random like 7777 instead of 22

So long as there's no major vulnerabilities in sshd then it shouldn't be an issue.

The root account is locked and there's only one user with a non generic username, and a password based on some obscure phrasing.

>When you're interested in making a server but then you realize that you only learned the basics of the basics.

What are you even on about?

Nobody is targeting you. Botnets will automatically attempt to log into virtually all open services on any network, constantly. As long as you're using a strong, unique password you will be fine (even better would be if you disabled password login and used an ssh key instead).

I only use password login for when the device I'm using isn't configured for ssh key authentication.

I have a rule of using random phrases of at least 10+ characters.

hey guys make sure its not a hacker cause thats bad right

They'll steal all your research.

Ok then lock this topic, it's clear you know that this isn't actually a problem.

What are you even on about?

I'm thinking of making a website or a server or something, but then I go on here and only understand 6/7 of the stuff here.