The Basic RPG

Author Topic: The Basic RPG  (Read 8852 times)

nobody actually enjoys RPGs because they suck and the devs have no idea how to design good games so they copout with very terrible mechanics and call it an rpg. Nobody should enjoy these types of games, they're not meant to be enjoyed they're meant to waste your time.
Yeah guys pack it up fallout new Vegas was a disaster apparently

Reminder that all rpg games suck no matter who makes them. I don't know why so many people let themselves think that adding boring ass goblins and arbitrary resource grinding makes their game an rpg like no honey that's called bad game design: the game
What’s it like being in a perpetual state of thinking people want your opinion?

We never played fallout 76 yet but apparently its a disaster too

Reminder that all rpg games suck no matter who makes them.
bethesda made skyrim and thats good and not about farming

you dont know that
I've played every rpg game on blockland over the last 9 years and in almost all of them it was apparent that the devs focused more on meaningless content bloating like 200 variants of the same dumb enemy and also some stupid leveling up system where every kill rewards you an arbitrary number of experience which helps you deal an arbitrary amount of damage to some arbitrary amount of identical enemies.

Theres no way one human can make a remotely interesting rpg game. The scope is way over their head- character and story design needs a year of writing to be passable and for the most part rpg mechanics already just have the bar set too low, so it's not like any rpg game made by one person can achieve any sort of quality

bethesda made skyrim and thats good and not about farming
Skyrim and fallout being notable exceptions because they were designed by teams of over 200 people over the course of years

What’s it like being in a perpetual state of thinking people want your opinion?
I don't give a stuff what you think about my opinion. You can easily prove me wrong anytime. I especially liked your rpg game and I thought it had some potential and was hoping you would finish it so someone could prove me wrong

Skyrim and fallout being notable exceptions because they were designed by teams of over 200 people over the course of years
Umm you said all were dumb so basically you just lied

to be fair new vegas was only good for it's side quests and dlc. the gameplay still sucks ass to this day with gamble killer simulator vats and stiff gun mechanics plus those terrifyingly bad iron sights. it still has a lot of value and story because it was designed with these in mind and the game was budgeted millions of dollars towards the story and map. They had whole teams of people focusing on making this one aspect really good and it came out good.

Umm you said all were dumb so basically you just lied
obviously I'm talking about all rpgs in blockland, which truthfully are all dumb. Only pirate rpg extends slightly beyond mediocrity

obviously I'm talking about all rpgs in blockland, which truthfully are all dumb. Only pirate rpg extends slightly beyond mediocrity
go play roblox

I don't give a stuff what you think about my opinion. You can easily prove me wrong anytime. I especially liked your rpg game and I thought it had some potential and was hoping you would finish it so someone could prove me wrong
I’m not hurt or anything if that’s what you mean. I’m saying you come into topics or servers with a need to tell everyone why their interests are wrong. Sometimes you get started w/o even knowing about their intended goal.

Potentially, if someone enjoys something let them enjoy it?

You haven't even seen mine yet so comic sans

I’m not hurt or anything if that’s what you mean. I’m saying you come into topics or servers with a need to tell everyone why their interests are wrong. Sometimes you get started w/o even knowing about their intended goal.

there are trends that lead to bad servers. If nobody brings up these pitfalls then literally evryone will continue to just make stuffty servers and waste their time only to be dissapointed. The op isn't that elaborate so it's anyone's guess as to what type of rpg it is but given the title and the lack of any defining features it's safe to say that this is literally another rpg game. It could blow my mind and be awesome and that's more reason to break the rules and shine above the rest by proving me wrong

This exact scenario played out before a couple months ago when that one guy was designing a city rpg server and I explained how and why it would suck and everyone gave me loving flak. In the end the server did end up sucking for all of the reasons I explained and the host was thoroughly surprised on how his server failed.

It's understandable for people to combat criticism by saying 'my project will be different' and then say how it will be different', but just saying "no... It doesn't suck!!! Let us enjoy it" and trying to justify clearly lazy and unimaginative mechanics is stupid. Grinding sucks, period. Fighting the same enemy just to gain experience to fight a slight variation of the same enemy sucks. It's also grinding. Collecting magical swords that have slight damage changes from each other is grinding. Literally nobody can defend repetition without depth because you're literally doing the exact same thing over and over with no loving difference whatsoever. You don't learn anything new therefore the entire experience is a goddamn waste of time

Whose to say this rpg will have grinding? That's a good question with a simple answer: what else can it have? How else do you create filler for your story oriented game without consecutive battles? It's a slippery slope because once you admit your rpg game needs filler battles you admit that your story will be interrupted consistently by arbitrary battles, and your goal henceforth is to make these arbitrary battles as unique and deep as possible. At that point the scope of the rpg is too large for one dev to handle. In the end any sort of unique and entertaining rpg experience is impossible to attain
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 01:24:43 PM by thegoodperry »

You haven't even seen mine yet so comic sans
I can only guess by the lack of real planning in your op that you have no clear goal for this project besides to just make an rpg for the hell of it. If you had a revolutionary game changing idea for an rpg you'd probably be stressing this new great idea. instead all I see is "I'm making an RPG ama"
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 01:32:23 PM by thegoodperry »