Author Topic: The Basic RPG  (Read 8850 times)

obviously I'm talking about all rpgs in blockland, which truthfully are all dumb. Only pirate rpg extends slightly beyond mediocrity
At first I thought you were just blowing up on all RPGs in general.
But if you really do just mean ones in Blockland, then yeah. I can 100% agree. They're all pretty stuff.
And not even just because they don't include story or anything like that. But because you're basically grinding to do nothing with it. You keep progressing and progressing till you get to the end and then just... brag because you wasted more time than anyone else.
At least Port & Evar planned on having some dungeons, quests, and world events to keep people busy, as well as having some content locked behind said features, so that you don't just get everything by grinding.

The problem lies in the fact that good RPGs require character development and meaningful long term choices as well as fun gameplay. All of this is too ambitious for any one person to develop (or even two) so Instead of trying to find a viable solution they just copout and say let's throw in gri ding to pad out the game as much as possible since there's no other redeeming quality.

It's understandable if a game ideas scope is too large but using that to justify throwing in stuffty mechanics isnt loving good at all

The problem lies in the fact that good RPGs require character development and meaningful long term choices as well as fun gameplay. All of this is too ambitious for any one person to develop (or even two) so Instead of trying to find a viable solution they just copout and say let's throw in gri ding to pad out the game as much as possible since there's no other redeeming quality.

It's understandable if a game ideas scope is too large but using that to justify throwing in stuffty mechanics isnt loving good at all
there is not gonna be grinding

there is not gonna be grinding
well fighting the same boringly designed enemies is also grinding too. And before you say "my enemies aren't boring" if you don't plan on explicitly programming behavior into your enemies via code then your enemies are boring by default
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 02:43:30 PM by thegoodperry »

well fighting the same boringly designed enemies is also grinding too. And before you say "my enemies aren't boring" if you don't plan on explicitly programming behavior into your enemies via code then your enemies are boring by default
my enemies aren't boring

The fact that you compare Blockland RPGs to something created by over a hundred people is laughable. You're essentially saying "Hey guy's, never join or even try an RPG on Blockland. They're so stuff compared to [insert triple A company's RPG here]." Of course a Blockland RPG is going to seem worse than an RPG that goes for a standard retail price of $60.00 USD. But it doesn't mean that a Blockland RPG can't be better than other Blockland RPG's.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 09:06:24 AM by Sentry »

The fact that you compare Blockland RPG's to something created by over a hundred people is laughable.
You're essentially saying "Hey guy's, never join or even try an RPG on Blockland. They're so stuff compared to [insert triple A company's RPG here]."
Hey guy's, never join or even try an RPG on Blockland. They're so stuff compared to skyrim.

Why do you bother posting teasers if all you're posting is lazy crap put together in the course of minutes
Why do you bother arguing with us if all you're posting is stuffty insults put together in the course of seconds

Question, is this rpg gonna be lego universe styled where different themes of different worlds are clashing with each other like pirates, medieval, futuristic, or oriental or is it just straight up medieval stuff?

At first I thought you were just blowing up on all RPGs in general.
But if you really do just mean ones in Blockland, then yeah. I can 100% agree. They're all pretty stuff.
And not even just because they don't include story or anything like that. But because you're basically grinding to do nothing with it. You keep progressing and progressing till you get to the end and then just... brag because you wasted more time than anyone else.
At least Port & Evar planned on having some dungeons, quests, and world events to keep people busy, as well as having some content locked behind said features, so that you don't just get everything by grinding.
I think the worst thing about rpgs in blockland are that they mostly all follow the same formula. Get some tools, go cut down some trees and mine stuff. Rinse and repeat until you get a sword to fight enemies in a basic medieval environment. The worlds are uninspired and uninteresting, and developers really so much on tedious tasks that lean too much into the realistic side of things instead of a more fun and exciting adventure. Gathering wood and ores isn't fun. Battling monsters, engaging in awesome activities like racing buddies and doing events and immersing yourself in a creative story is fun.

Teaser
what the forget is this? i see 2 red ramps and water

The fact that you compare Blockland RPGs to something created by over a hundred people is laughable. You're essentially saying "Hey guy's, never join or even try an RPG on Blockland. They're so stuff compared to [insert triple A company's RPG here]." Of course a Blockland RPG is going to seem worse than an RPG that goes for a standard retail price of $60.00 USD. But it doesn't mean that a Blockland RPG can't be better than other Blockland RPG's.
the ratio of quality to price is still infinitely higher in game like skryim. Like buying an awesome game for 60 dollars is worth it compared to playing a terribly uninspired stuffty rpg for free. That's the laughable part, it lacks any quality whatsoever. There are servers worth playing with actual thought out fun mechanics like base raiders or tournaments or even like tdms which have considerate quality given the budget but RPGs lack that entirely so the argument is moot
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 01:25:46 PM by thegoodperry »

the ratio of quality to price is still infinitely higher in game like skryim. Like buying an awesome game for 60 dollars is worth it compared to playing a terribly uninspired stuffty rpg for free. That's the laughable part, it lacks any quality whatsoever
You lack any quality of taste.

You lack any quality of taste.
you literally uploaded a picture of two walls of red bricks and labeled it as a teaser...

Like a teaser is supposed to tease some new mechanic or feature and get people excited about your product. What you posted was the opposite of a teaser, it made like everyone absolutely not want to play your stuff. If you want people to be interested actually post something of quality or some interesting feature

My guess is you don't really have any cool feature or interesting content to showcase