Poll

Would you switch to Linux if all or most of your games worked?

Yes
6 (50%)
No
2 (16.7%)
Maybe
2 (16.7%)
If Microsoft keeps being handicapped
2 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Implications of The New Steam Play (Linux Gaming)  (Read 651 times)

Valve just released the beta of their new Steam Play with Proton for Linux, an API based on WINE designed to make your Windows games playable on Linux without the need for multiple Steam installations or convoluted hacks with WINE.

This could mark the beginning of a new age of Linux, (Or at least Linux gaming.) as it aims to make usability of the platform far better than what we've been seeing.

Valve seems to have finally acknowledged the catch 22 of making Linux gaming mainstream. Developers don't want to bother with games for a platform where there is no played base, and usere's don't want to move to a platform where their games won't run!

Proton is aiming to fix this by bringing most or all of Windows games to Linux without any extra work by the user. While getting Steam to update was a chore, getting Steam Play working was one option in the Settings menu. After that, it was just like installing any other game. (With an extra box to click for non-officially supported games.)

While it's a beta, and only a tiny handful of games are supported at the moment, this is a big deal, and not just for games.

Proton is based on WINE and, like WINE, is open source! This means that, on top of having actual paid devs working on it (as opposed to WINE's volunteer developers, many of whom likely work on the project in their spare time), the Steam hacker and developer community can pitch in to make the system more usable. On top of that, many of the improvements made to Proton wile likely be able to feed back into WINE, and vice-versa, making usability of Windows applications, and thereby ease of transition to Linux, better than ever!

This could very will be the thing that make Linux, as a whole, more usable and mainstream for the average user. Especially with Microsoft's increasingly questionable practices.

(Sorry about the news article. If you couldn't tell, this is exciting to me.)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 09:05:41 PM by Writer The Wolf »

sounds promising. i'd considered moving to linux as an alternative to windows 10 once before.

sounds promising. i'd considered moving to linux as an alternative to windows 10 once before.
I've been trying to get away from Windows for years. I'm still using 7 because I hate almost everything about 10.

My laptop has been running Fedora Workstation with the cinnamon desktop for a while now and I really like the feel, but gaming has been the biggest thing holding me back. I am thinking my next desktop is going to be primarily Linux though, as I really like the low level access of the Linux command line, as well as being able to automate almost anything in bash.

I have cygwin on Windows, but it's just not the same. I need my package manager.

As a Linux nerd myself I got real excited about this. Works well on my secondary rig, although im having some performance issues with Ubuntu in general on my main PC (thanks Nvidia proprietary drivers) so that's on Windows at least for now. Some notes:
-If games fail to launch at all, make sure the python2.7 package is installed. I ran into this issue and reported it on GitHub, and it's being worked on as far as I can tell.
-Make sure you follow the guide on the GitHub page in order for Proton to function properly.
-This is beta software. Do not expect this to magically run any game you throw at it, and report any issues with games on the GitHub so they can be fixed.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 12:46:23 AM by Mr Queeba »

I use linux already, this is great so I don't have to dualboot anymore or use another PC

there goes my productivity during school terms now smh