Need help with my PC

Author Topic: Need help with my PC  (Read 695 times)

So recently my Hard disk has begun running very short on space and this is because of steam, a forgetton of media projects (including a huge directory of sound effects), other games and backups. I want to move all of that (including my whole steam directory) to another hard drive to free up space on my primary hard drive where the system and everything is stored. I need help on deciding which of these I should get:

• A portable external hard drive
  • A completely fresh internal hard drive

Now, for the internal hard drive I don't exactly know if I can fit another one in my computer since it is a pre-built gaming pc. So I need to open it and check whether that is possible but I think I remember (not sure) the pc's details saying that that there is space for a second hard drive. I would prefer an internal hard drive so everything is stored on my computer and everything is more manageable

The other option is to get a portable external hard drive (a western digital one) but I was wondering whether you can move all of steam to that drive despite it being a portable one. The internal drive is £10 cheaper than the external hard drive by the way.

So what's better? getting an external one or an internal one? and can I move a whole steam directory to the external one?

get an external hard drive unless if you know what you're doing, then get an internal

You can move steam games easily, https://lifehacker.com/how-to-move-a-pc-game-to-another-hard-drive-without-re-1714706774 see option two.

choosing between internal or external storage would be mostly your preference, but for external you'd want at least usb 3.0 for the transfer speed and if you get a physical external drive that would also require it's own power from the wall

You can move steam games easily, https://lifehacker.com/how-to-move-a-pc-game-to-another-hard-drive-without-re-1714706774 see option two.

choosing between internal or external storage would be mostly your preference, but for external you'd want at least usb 3.0 for the transfer speed and if you get a physical external drive that would also require it's own power from the wall
thing is, I want to move the whole directory from program files (x86) to a new drive, let's just call this new drive Jim. I'd also like to move Origin as well to Jim, how do I do this?

I'd also like to note that some games have files in My documents (the sims 2 is one of these games that have a huge array of content stored in my documents), so how do those ones work as well?

I'd also like to note that some games have files in My documents (the sims 2 is one of these games that have a huge array of content stored in my documents), so how do those ones work as well?
i think you can keep that in documents and games will still be able to use them regardless of what drive the actual game is on, who knows if you can move stuff out of documents though

i moved my whole steam x86 file onto a new drive and the only problem i had with it was that it took a while with 70gb of games, but if you do move disks. all other documents dont need to be moved, because when you set a new install directory it lets the other folders know, plus the shortcuts on steam already launch to the location of said folders. make sure you set your steam install directory to the new steam directory location, as well as re-write any shortcut locations to the new one, otherwise games would install in a new steam directory where it was previously and you wouldnt be able to open steam with shortcuts

if you want long-term storage, go for hard drive, if you want to be able to take it anywhere without having to have a hard drive adapter for laptops, go for flash
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 11:12:02 AM by Darth C3P0² »

i moved my whole steam x86 file onto a new drive and the only problem i had with it was that it took a while with 70gb of games, but if you do move disks. all other documents dont need to be moved, because when you set a new install directory it lets the other folders know, plus the shortcuts on steam already launch to the location of said folders. make sure you set your steam install directory to the new steam directory location, as well as re-write any shortcut locations to the new one, otherwise games would install in a new steam directory where it was previously and you wouldnt be able to open steam with shortcuts

if you want long-term storage, go for hard drive, if you want to be able to take it anywhere without having to have a hard drive adapter for laptops, go for flash
Thanks for addressing that, can you move steam to an external one? is that also possible?

external harddrives are far slower then internal ones. if you're running programs/games from it, you really should get an internal drive.

I recently just replaced my HDD with a 1Tb SSD, and I would fully recommend it. Everything is so much faster. I also was able to get it for shy over 100 bucks on sale (I think that sale is over) but 1TB SSDs are hovering around 150-200. Pretty affordable for what it is.

I also needed to get a SSD mount for it to fit in my hard drive tray correctly, but those are only like 20 bucks.

And yes, you should be able to transfer all files (including Steam games) from one drive to another. But it will require some sort of program to transfer.
I don't have the one I used anymore, but if you're interested I can dig it back up.

Thanks for addressing that, can you move steam to an external one? is that also possible?
well yeah, but if you move it to a unique computer you'll have to wait for game setup (what happens when you download games and tryto start for the first time) and expect to lose any data inside of the documents folder if the game haves it until you switch back. i use an external drive, and i'd say it is possible but there are a few obstacles if you want to try and do it on a different computer