Why do ppl never admit to being wrong in arguments on here

Author Topic: Why do ppl never admit to being wrong in arguments on here  (Read 4840 times)

/title

in all my years on the blf, ive noticed that arguments can drone on and on w/o a foreseeable end. this is due to new data/facts being found, more ppl joining in on the argument and adding stuff, sometimes both sides firmly believe they are right, etc. but one important reason i think is that party A and party B never stop going at it, because ppl dont like to admit they were wrong, especially after an argument has gone on for ages. thus, they keep arguing. obv this is probably a matter of having too much pride to admit when ur wrong, but maybe not the only reason? after spending a decent amount of time on blf a new idea has hit me:
what if a major reason people don't admit to being wrong in an argument on blf is because ppl tend to get super aggressive? like a ton of the arguments and disagreements ive seen ppl make are legit arguments with some unneeded insults tossed in imo. no one wants to back down from something that feels like a personal attack, so they keep arguing, maybe even throw some insults in themselves, to try and beat their "opponent"

Ive gathered these two recent example's with brickuchu's permission:
I didn't miss anything, you have no loving point because we keep getting these dramas because THE PROBLEM OBVIOUSLY ISN'T FIXED and it NEVER WILL BE because dumb forgets like you would rather sweep the issue under the rug and complain when someone inevitably trips over the giant bump in the rug again, and again, and again. "Typical Brikichu," acting like you loving know me despite us never speaking to each other, piss off and get the forget off your high horse you absolute forget-up of a person.
I've bolded the part here that i believe goes too far. telling someone to get off a high horse is 100% okay, but the next part was just an unneeded insult
[/size]Your words are as empty as your soul.
this speaks for itself, admittedly it was in response to something equally too far, but 2 wrongs dont make a right, and someone has to take the high road or nothing will ever get better here. I didnt get permission to quote the person who posted the thing this was a response to, (because they never responded) but i guess you could just easily find it yourself anyway which isnt my fault. this is a public forum afterall :P

Admittedly, it is okay to call someone an idiot if said person is simply being foolish. it may even help them open their eyes or something; but when you're about to do this, really ask yourself if its too far or not. I know that not everyone is gonna agree on where to draw the line, which doesn't help my case. brickichu told me they firmly believed they were justified in posting that they did, thats fine. what this means is that if everyone thinks theyre justified in posting something, when people like me think its too far, then what happens? if the line isnt universal, then whats the use of this thread? frankly, it might not be of any use. I just didnt want to feel like i did nothing to help blf become a better place. even if this fails, at least i tried i guess? maybe someone will learn at least a single new thing from all this, or will choose to dial the aggressiveness/insults back a bit if im lucky.

because this is america brotheerrrrr

i wholeheartedly agree with this. people can go too far in arguments here and i feel it's been hurting us all since forever ago. sometimes people just don't know when to draw the line or might not even care to just so they can get the chance to call their opponent an idiot in a way to attempt to get under their skin or something. if an argument gets to the point where everyone just calls each other mean names, nobody wins and it's just pointless bickering for pages that everyone else just wished would stop. i hope more people will eventually grow out of it, but tbh at this point it's probably wishful thinking

it's ok to admit ur wrong sometimes too, nobody here is perfect. at the very least, if u feel like u have run out of good arguments to make, just leave it at that instead of relying on insults to save u

I think a lot people are afraid to admit their long because they feel it will hurt their "Image" or something.

people don't get into arguments because they want their point of view challenged

I think a lot people are afraid to admit their long because they feel it will hurt their "Image" or something.
ya that probably has something to do with it, but it's weird cus wouldn't admitting they're wrong every now and then actually help someone's image?

people don't get into arguments because they want their point of view challenged

Hit post too early...

People get into arguments because their point of view is being challenged. Nobody wants to be wrong, and nobody automatically starts an argument thinking "Am I wrong?"

The problem is that nobody lets other people be wrong, so there's no real incentive to say oops my bad and conceded over just ghosting if you don't feel like arguing a point further. Plus, some losers here will rub it in if you concede so that whole idea's out the window.

[/size]Your words are as empty as your soul.

I guess that one went over most people's heads.

no one wants to change in fear of being wrong and you get insulted by everyone for like 2 weeks if you give in, or they call it damage control and continue on without you

The problem is that nobody lets other people be wrong
i assume ur talking about the insults and aggression yea? tbh i don't rly see that as much of a reason to not admit to being wrong still, i can at least kinda understand if they fight back because of it but they'd still look so much better if they just conceded, even more so if the aggressor is acting that way
so there's no real incentive to say oops my bad and conceded over just ghosting if you don't feel like arguing a point further.
really doing either is still fine compared to resorting to insults at least
Plus, some losers here will rub it in if you concede so that whole idea's out the window.
yea i remember i kinda did that once a long time ago.... didn't rly rub it in but kept arguing with them in pm's cus i assumed they just ignored the rest of the argument to look better. i apologized afterwards cus i realized that was dumb, people shouldn't have to "fear" conceding

no one wants to change in fear of being wrong and you get insulted by everyone for like 2 weeks if you give in, or they call it damage control and continue on without you
honestly, those people are in the wrong too. i think it's just best to try to ignore it when that happens. it's better than the alternatives anyway