Music Modernization Act passes through Senate

Author Topic: Music Modernization Act passes through Senate  (Read 1321 times)

Quote from: Sources
https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/18/17876660/senate-passes-music-modernization-act

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2018/09/18/music-modernization-act-senate-clears-changes-streaming-royalties/1353707002/

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/8475876/music-modernization-act-passes-senate-unanimous-support

The US Senate has approved the Music Modernization Act of 2018, S.2334, with unanimous consent, bringing the first reform for music licensing in 20 years on the cusp of becoming law. The companion version in the House previously passed in April, also with unanimous consent. The bill now must be reconsidered by the House and then ultimately signed by President Annoying Orange. Both of those are likely to happen, so the Senate was the last major hurdle.

Although the Music Modernization Act was overwhelmingly supported by artists, songwriters, and every other corner of the music industry (and many government officials), it met opposition this summer. Blackstone Group, whose mechanical licensing company Harry Fox Agency stands to be greatly impacted by the MMA, as well as Sirius XM and Music Choice pushed back against the bill. While issues with the Blackstone Group found resolution, the dispute with Sirius XM and Music Choice was still very much at the forefront. Sirius XM objected to a portion of the bill called the CLASSICS Act, which makes them legally responsible to pay songwriters and artists royalties on pre-1972 recordings.

Now that it has passed the Senate, the bill has been renamed the Orrin G. Hatch Music Modernization Act after Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT), a songwriter himself who was a strong advocate for the MMA and called it “crucially important.”

The bill revamps Section 115 of the U.S. Copyright Act, combining three major pieces of legislation:
  • The Music Modernization Act, which streamlines the music licensing process to make it easier for rights holders to get paid when their music is streamed online.
  • The CLASSICS Act (Compensating Legacy Artists for their Songs, Service, & Important Contributions to Society Act) for pre-1972 recordings.
  • The AMP Act (or Allocation for Music Producers Act), which improves royalty payouts for producers and engineers from SoundExchange when their recordings are used on satellite and online radio. Notably, this is the first time producers have ever been mentioned in copyright law.
Mitch Glazier, the president of the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), said in a statement: “As legendary band the Grateful Dead once said in an iconic pre-1972 song, ‘what a long strange trip it’s been.’ It’s been an epic odyssey, and we’re thrilled to almost be at our destination.

“For the modern U.S. Senate to unanimously pass a 185-page bill is a herculean feat, only achievable because of the grit, determination and mobilization of thousands of music creators across the nation. The result is a bill that moves us toward a modern music licensing landscape better founded on fair market rates and fair pay for all. At long last, a brighter tomorrow for both past and future generations of music creators is nearly upon us. We are indebted to the leadership of Senators Hatch, Grassley, Feinstein, Alexander, Coons, Kennedy and Whitehouse for helping get us there.”

it's going back to the House to have changes approved but this is probably gonna be law very soon

/discuss
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 11:41:01 AM by Tactical Nuke »

sooooo how does this really relate to us as regular people? does this mean music is pretty much gonna get banned from youtube or something? or what.

im not sure what exactly there is to discuss here, it all reads as legal jargon to me.

it means people who make music will actually get paid for it

it means people who make music will actually get paid for it

that's great

Producers are being paid now by law when their song is played on the radio. I'm a producer....    👀fellas?

I wonder if this is going to bring about more Youtube take-downs and copyright claims.

I don't know that this bill addresses that but hey people who post other people's music onto YouTube without their permission going down would be a nice bonus

I wonder if this is going to bring about more Youtube take-downs and copyright claims.

It's not, it's going to result in more artists and producers getting paid for their work

It's not, it's going to result in more artists and producers getting paid for their work

I certainly hope so, yeah

will this finally kill umg

on one hand, yay!
musicians are no longer forgeted because of the effects of a company that was here and gone before anyone in my age group remembers. This also maybe a sign of other laws to come, hopefully we will see an internet bill of rights in the future.

on the other hand, forget.
This will certainly lead to many major problems online, and possibly an adpocalypse 3 on YouTube.

This will certainly lead to many major problems online, and possibly an adpocalypse 3 on YouTube.
it's a good thing all the megabrain individuals are migrating to several other great platforms that work as an effective alternative for youtube, one being vid.me.

Modern streaming has been built around subverting paying artists their proper earnings, and a big offender is Spotify. Don’t get me wrong, I love and use Spotify all the time but holy stuff they really forgeted up. They pay their artists something like zeroes on the penny per stream, meaning that the only people really making money are the ones getting millions of streams per day. I think the attitude that listeners would be losing routes to listen to their music is a little BS. I’ve certainly fallen prey to it by not doing so and just streaming the music, but you should be BUYING and SUPPORTING the artists you listen to. It’s one of the reasons I still buy physical CD’s. There have been royalty laws for everything BUT the internet for DECADES, which is the reason why streaming is the way it is. This bill is exactly what’s needed to finally put artist wages back on track.

it won't