My Indie Game - Hotel Noir: A Cardboard Caper

Author Topic: My Indie Game - Hotel Noir: A Cardboard Caper  (Read 3173 times)

We thought it would be a risky move to promise people with a release. We aren't really sure now long the rest of the game may take to complete, so instead of potentially missing a set time for a backer reward we opted to offer immediate or near immediate rewards.

...what?

You thought it would be a risky move to promise people a game they paid money for?  Or do you mean a release date?  Because you don't need to give a release date when promising a copy upon release; just a confirmation that they're getting the game they backed.

I meant the release date. Kickstarter asks for a hard date on when setting up a backer tier. Kind of makes it difficult when we dont know when the game will be done.
Also, since each tier is supposed to get the contents of the lower tiers and multiple dates cant be set for shipping out rewards, it gets kind of grey.

We can always add a digital copy to the reward tiers with a "delivered when complete" disclaimer though. I see no reason as to why we cant do that.
Ill see if I can sway the opinion of my team since that what I wanted to do originally.

ah, that makes sense. thanks for clarifying

So I brought it up and we ended up adding a digital copy of the game to the $20+ tier backers and up. There was a bit of a snag as we aren't able to add rewards to tiers with backers so the $100 tier doesn't have it listed, however they will be receiving it as well regardless.

Despite this, good call.

Needs a lord tony character that everyone likes.

Well, create your own character is a backer tier...

this looks amazing! i wish u guys the best of luck on this project :)

Is there a stealth minigame or is that small clip of D sneaking through a hallway with a bunch of guards patrolling around with flashlights just for show

Is there a stealth minigame or is that small clip of D sneaking through a hallway with a bunch of guards patrolling around with flashlights just for show

There will be sneaking.

There will be sneaking.
if I were cardboard I'd totally flat Stanley that stuff and squeeze in between some boxes. It'd be a creative use of the visual style to incorporate some slapstick flat jokes like paper Mario does

I'm really critical of games so you can take what I say with a grain of salt, but a thematic choice such as the games cardboard aesthetic could totally find it's way into the mechanics and writing, and it probably should. The part where D basically folds Into the chair and swivels around is a really subtle touch and I like stuff like that. But you could totally get even more creative with the cardboard. Like a link between words esque wall platformer segment or stealth that allows you to shimmy In between tight cracks to avoid detection. It doesn't have to exist but it seems like a big missed opportunity and makes the visual style seem more like an arbitrary design choice than an important part of the game.

This is just stuff I like to see. I'm sure your boys and gals down at minilith are making some good calls anyways
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 01:31:48 PM by thegoodperry »

I'm really critical of games so you can take what I say with a grain of salt

No worries! We have/are planning to have exactly what you mentioned!
It would be really sad if we missed out on capitalizing on aesthetic mechanics.

I don't wanna give away too much story, but it is written into the story too!

So I brought it up and we ended up adding a digital copy of the game to the $20+ tier backers and up. There was a bit of a snag as we aren't able to add rewards to tiers with backers so the $100 tier doesn't have it listed, however they will be receiving it as well regardless.

Despite this, good call.
great! i'm glad i brought it up.

this game looks great btw

Looks wonderful. A bit too wonderful for my GPU though. What'll it run on?